Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Shamelessly plugging my own A3 1.8t is for sale for anyone interested.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a3-1-8t/10221809

Is it ok to do this here? Apologies if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

ShaunieVW wrote:

Well presented, genuine looking ad, well done!

All those receipts/certs :eek: Is that over its lifetime or over your ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Would anyone on here know if there is a Ford show in Cork either today or next Sunday..Its in Ringaskiddy (I think) but I cant remember the date?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ShaunieVW wrote: »

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a3-1-8t/10221809

Is it ok to do this here? Apologies if not.

That is very nice, I'm reaching for my wallet here. Sadly no money in it.

Thanks lads! That's over its lifetime, some of them are 10 pages deep as all diagnostic work done was recorded printed off and kept by the previous owners! Very unusual for an original Irish car to have any kind of a history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

http://www.thejournal.ie/star-sign-penalty-points-2287666-Aug2015/

That explains my penalty point issue

Sorry guard im Scorpio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Is boards acting the maggot for any of ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

50/50 "service unavailable"
    Why can't this happen on workdays...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Thanks lads! That's over its lifetime, some of them are 10 pages deep as all diagnostic work done was recorded printed off and kept by the previous owners! Very unusual for an original Irish car to have any kind of a history.

The only thing I'm curious about is why almost all those NCT certs have the disc still attached.... or did you tape it back on? :pac:

Yup, the hamsters are dying it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

50/50 "service unavailable"
    Why can't this happen on workdays...

He same for me all day only working some of the time rather annoying. Considering boards is a perfect way of passing time on a quite Sunday before gearing up for a busy week ahead.

Seems I left the interior lights on in my car all night not sure if they go of after a while themselves once it's locked to save the battery. Started ok only then noticed they were in the on position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Same here.

"service unavailable" and other cr@p. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah I tweeted to the boards account on twitter. Not sure if they have anyone doing maintenance or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Someone needs to turn it off and back on again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah I tweeted to the boards account on twitter. Not sure if they have anyone doing maintenance or something?

That's the worst possible way to get in touch. :pac:

http://www.thejournal.ie/star-sign-penalty-points-2287666-Aug2015/

That explains my penalty point issue

Sorry guard im Scorpio!

Me too! Just had two wiped from my record, so I'm clean now.
    The problem is, the meeja shouldn't even be fcuking joking with this. I'm expecting insurance companies to use it to load people with certain star signs, any flimsy excuse does it for them.

• Advertisement

Ken Block posted the new Focus RS for 2016 on FB. I'm sure some of ye have seen it already.

10488156_10153032809353820_4057361963634514896_n.jpg?oh=028debea072e4976b6fecf57262dcd3d&oe=563E9DC1

Its class though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The already clumsy fuel filler cap looks even worse with the smaller rear lights.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The already clumsy fuel filler cap looks even worse with the smaller rear lights.

The fuel cap is the only thing I hate. WTF were they thinking there? The lights don't bother me too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Anyone know why the HWIST thread is gone?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So there was feck all wrong with the car just a dodgy seal 50 euro happy days.

Next up get it re mapped.

Done that off road driving in Palmerstown house on Saturday morning have to say it was good really enjoyed but would have liked more time driving.

Between the super car day in Belfast, stunt driving day in wicklow and and now the off roading I think the better half may be running out if driving experiences to get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Boards is still having its gremlins with errors popping up, I thought they would have it fixed by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Boards is still having its gremlins with errors popping up, I thought they would have it fixed by now.

It's been fine for me since about 10pm last night on Chrome on both mobile and PC.

The only thing I'm curious about is why almost all those NCT certs have the disc still attached.... or did you tape it back on? :pac:

Ha! They are just sitting in there after I got the new discs I always put it back with the report and cert!

Next up get it re mapped.

Is this worth doing to a car? Been reading that it can help with MPG quite a bit, but can cause more wear and tear on certain components (clutch mentioned a fair bit on previous boards threads)?

Only threads I could find on it were about 5-6 years old.

Is it expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

el diablo wrote: »
    Anyone know why the HWIST thread is gone?

What thread is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Is this worth doing to a car? Been reading that it can help with MPG quite a bit, but can cause more wear and tear on certain components (clutch mentioned a fair bit on previous boards threads)?

Only threads I could find on it were about 5-6 years old.

Is it expensive?

ECU remapping is a waste of time. Shurre it's all just cowboys with dynos and boxes with diodes in them.

If you do chance it make sure

1. Car is solid under the bonnet
    2. Don't disconnect battery if its a one shot map or you will possibly lose it.
    3. Fuelling is done correctly.(pops and bangs are fun until you are picking up your engines bottom end off the road)
    4.Clutch isn't slipping.

ECU remapping is a waste of time. Shurre it's all just cowboys with dynos and boxes with diodes in them.

3. Fuelling is done correctly.(pops and bangs are fun until you are picking up your engines bottom end off the road)
    4.Clutch isn't slipping.

Surely most/all of that stuff would be checked by whoever's doing the remap in the first place? If I was getting anything like that done I'd be going to someone who came fairly recommended and wasn't just some chap that called door to door offering carpets, pillows and remaps. :P

No. 2 is a concern though! Does that mean if you get the car remapped and disconnect the battery you're back to before it was done!? Surely that can't be right!? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Depends on the type of ECU in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ken Block posted the new Focus RS for 2016 on FB. I'm sure some of ye have seen it already.

Its class though!
    What's the little white thing in the middle of the bumper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

4.Clutch isn't slipping.

Not necessarily, if it's done right of course. Standalone units like Megasquirt while pricy (350ish unassembled or 500+ assembled) coupled with a wideband have a fairly manageable learning curve if your willing to put the the time in to get the optimum map. Base maps are also loaded onto it if you just want to get up and running asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...No. 2 is a concern though! Does that mean if you get the car remapped and disconnect the battery you're back to before it was done!? Surely that can't be right!? :confused:

Some higher-end ECUs store the various maps in editable memory, e.g. Flash ROM or EEPROM and can be permanently tweaked with the right equipment. Other ECUs can't do that, so the solution is a box-of-tricks that interposes itself between the ECU and the wiring harness. Such "piggyback" setups are common in the world of high-performance motorcycles, with devices such as Dynojet Power Commander and Bazzaz, to name two.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Some higher-end ECUs store the various maps in editable memory, e.g. Flash ROM or EEPROM and can be permanently tweaked with the right equipment. Other ECUs can't do that, so the solution is a box-of-tricks that interposes itself between the ECU and the wiring harness. Such "piggyback" setups are common in the world of high-performance motorcycles, with devices such as Dynojet Power Commander and Bazzaz, to name two.

Presumably it's the latter of the two you've described that will be gone once you disconnect the battery?

Would it be possible to get a decent, permanent job done at a reasonable price that won't blow the engine or delete when you change battery?

Most of my cars have lasted 6 months. The C5 I want to have for a few years, but I know that if I don't do things to it in the first month or two of owning it, I just won't do them at all, so I'm scoping out the few different things that are worth doing while I'm still in the process of actually buying it.

I want it tinted and a parrot kit installed. Ive the money set aside for those. I've a couple of Euro put aside for wheels (although i reckon that'll be a non-runner if i cant get the 18s off the 508 in Navan that I want). I've been googling and searching on boards for remapping, too, but seeing nothing overly specific in terms of pros/cons and costs.

I'd also like a dashcam, but can't see anywhere giving a how to on installing them. Loads of recommendations on what to buy but no one really pointing out how to do it. The parrot kit will be done by an auto electrician, so might get him to do it but would rather not pay someone to do it if its a 5 minute handy job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I want to get my next car's windows tinted but after seeing videos and the amount of water that pours down into the door, I'm thinking no.

I want to get my next car's windows tinted but after seeing videos and the amount of water that pours down into the door, I'm thinking no.

Water that pours into the door?

I can't picture what it is that you're trying to say there at all? Do you mean during installation? I don't recall any water ever being used installing mine (albeit i did use a steam cleaner to take them off for the NCT, once, but no excess water going anywhere near the door!?). :confused:

Presumably it's the latter of the two you've described that will be gone once you disconnect the battery?

Would it be possible to get a decent, permanent job done at a reasonable price that won't blow the engine or delete when you change battery?

Most of my cars have lasted 6 months. The C5 I want to have for a few years, but I know that if I don't do things to it in the first month or two of owning it, I just won't do them at all, so I'm scoping out the few different things that are worth doing while I'm still in the process of actually buying it.

I want it tinted and a parrot kit installed. Ive the money set aside for those. I've a couple of Euro put aside for wheels (although i reckon that'll be a non-runner if i cant get the 18s off the 508 in Navan that I want). I've been googling and searching on boards for remapping, too, but seeing nothing overly specific in terms of pros/cons and costs.

I'd also like a dashcam, but can't see anywhere giving a how to on installing them. Loads of recommendations on what to buy but no one really pointing out how to do it. The parrot kit will be done by an auto electrician, so might get him to do it but would rather not pay someone to do it if its a 5 minute handy job.

The problem with piggybacks is they can be very restrictive and are a somewhat roundabout way of getting a desired tune from the stock ECU (as you are essentially tricking the stock ECU to do what you want which has its limits). By replacing the ECU with a standalone, there is endless flexibility should you wish to move beyond a conservative tune that is reliable. Imho, that's the best way of going about it, not to mention the wealth of after sales support and things you'll pick up along the way.

EazyD wrote: »
    The problem with piggybacks is they can be very restrictive and are a somewhat roundabout way of getting a desired tune from the stock ECU (as you are essentially tricking the stock ECU to do what you want which has its limits). By replacing the ECU with a standalone, there is endless flexibility should you wish to move beyond a conservative tune that is reliable. Imho, that's the best way of going about it, not to mention the wealth of after sales support and things you'll pick up along the way.

And if I wanted to go in that direction, is there a shop or garage etc. that would be worth giving a phone call to find out what they can/can't do for me (I'm presuming a C5 wouldn't be their normal type of car coming in and they're more used to BMW/VW/etc appearing? Would this matter?).

As I'm dealing with something that I don't wholly understand, I'd love to get a recommendation for someone who does, and can say "this is what I'll do, this is what it'll cost, and this is the pro/con of doing it".

You seem to be educated about this, EazyD.. is it perhaps an area in which you work?

Also, completely unrelatedly, I'm still interested in seeing if a mechanically knowledged Boardsie fancies taking a trip to Coby with me tomorrow to verify if certain work has been done on the car. Anyone mechanically minded around that area feel free to PM me. Otherwise it's back to Atlas and although I've no issue using them, I'd rather throw a few euro at a boardsie instead. Should only take about 20 minutes I'd say. PM me if anyones interested in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the piggyback ones sound ridiculous is it just sending false readings from the sensors back to the ecu saying that it's running lean or whatever to change the flow of fuel?

I can understand remapping after adding a higher flow exhaust or more boost or E85 or whatever but remapping a 110bhp diesel 4 door saloon? :confused: is it for more power or better fuel economy? is there actually much of a difference or is it just like changing the the curve on the accelerator to make it feel more responsive?

GvidoR wrote: »
    What thread is that?

Here's what I stole today?

And if I wanted to go in that direction, is there a shop or garage etc. that would be worth giving a phone call to find out what they can/can't do for me (I'm presuming a C5 wouldn't be their normal type of car coming in and they're more used to BMW/VW/etc appearing? Would this matter?).

As I'm dealing with something that I don't wholly understand, I'd love to get a recommendation for someone who does, and can say "this is what I'll do, this is what it'll cost, and this is the pro/con of doing it".

You seem to be educated about this, EazyD.. is it perhaps an area in which you work?

Also, completely unrelatedly, I'm still interested in seeing if a mechanically knowledged Boardsie fancies taking a trip to Coby with me tomorrow to verify if certain work has been done on the car. Anyone mechanically minded around that area feel free to PM me. Otherwise it's back to Atlas and although I've no issue using them, I'd rather throw a few euro at a boardsie instead. Should only take about 20 minutes I'd say. PM me if anyones interested in it.

Im in the process of a small turbo build for an MX5, so the first step in any build is to sort fuelling/tune/injectors etc. I've just done a hell of a lot of reading into it as I'm not strapped for cash and need to find most cost effective ways of doing it. That said I did look at the likes of Greddy E-Manage among other piggyback units but realising the limitations it was quickly discarded and MS became the obvious choice.

I'm entirely new to it all myself (don't work in the industry) so I'm still learning but I've had no trouble finding tutorials online that detail each step and the features of each version. For my purpose im using MS2 with AEM wideband.

I'm not particularly familiar with outfits that do offer this but I know Souhan's in Meath are one of them as well as a few places in Dublin.

• Advertisement

the piggyback ones sound ridiculous is it just sending false readings from the sensors back to the ecu saying that it's running lean or whatever to change the flow of fuel?...

Not really. A quality unit like a Power Commander intercepts fuel-injector commands from the ECU (issued in accordance with its own map data) and adjusts them according to the PCs maps, hence the term "re-map". These devices work best in conjunction with other basic improvements like "fruity" exhausts and hi-flo air-filters. They work even better in conjunction with stage-2 modifications like lumpy cams and porting-and-flowing.

Not really. A quality unit like a Power Commander intercepts fuel-injector commands from the ECU (issued in accordance with its own map data) and adjusts them according to the PCs maps, hence the term "re-map". These devices work best in conjunction with other basic improvements like "fruity" exhausts and hi-flo air-filters. They work even better in conjunction with stage-2 modifications like lumpy cams and porting-and-flowing.

I was imagining it more like putting blinkers on a horse, that does make more sense, its like a man in the middle rather than just messing with sensor readings

I was imagining it more like putting blinkers on a horse, that does make more sense, its like a man in the middle rather than just messing with sensor readings

Oh yes. In fact, some of the latest models have an ignition module, as well as a Bosch MAP sensor and a general-purpose 0-5V sensor input allowing you to trim maps based on, e.g. boost pressure. They really are quite good.

Water that pours into the door?

I can't picture what it is that you're trying to say there at all? Do you mean during installation? I don't recall any water ever being used installing mine (albeit i did use a steam cleaner to take them off for the NCT, once, but no excess water going anywhere near the door!?). :confused:

Take a look at some of the tint installation videos on youtube. They spray a huge amount of water on the interior side of the glass which then drips down into the electrics in the door.

Oh yes. In fact, some of the latest models have an ignition module, as well as a Bosch MAP sensor and a general-purpose 0-5V sensor input allowing you to trim maps based on, e.g. boost pressure. They really are quite good.

or to put a variable resistor on the 0-5v so you can turn your performance all the way up to 11 :cool:

it does actually sound a lot more appealing now especially since it could be returned to completely stock by just going back to having the ecu on its own

or to put a variable resistor on the 0-5v so you can turn your performance all the way up to 11 :cool:

it does actually sound a lot more appealing now especially since it could be returned to completely stock by just going back to having the ecu on its own

Aye. And the motorcycle mob get quickshifter, multiple switchable maps and auto-blipping. :cool:

• Advertisement

Here's a shortish video on the installation of MS (albeit to an old MX5). Gives a fair indication of what's involved.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhsH0TcvTKk

Aye. And the motorcycle mob get quickshifter, multiple switchable maps and auto-blipping. :cool:

On my 335i I had JB4 which gave me the choice of 7 different maps available on-the-fly through the steering wheel controls aswell as a lot of other stuff right in front of me.

I was idly wondering what are the pitfalls in mapping a 1.8TDCI CMax with 340k km on the clock?
    Engine, gearbox and clutch are good, but EGR and Turbo are an unknown quantity. The car seems to drive fairly well, but the turbo has been making a bit of a "whooooop" noise under acceleration. It has done so for over 100k km, it doesn't seem to affect performance and by all accounts that particular turbo seems to make that noise almost as standard.
    What is the rebuild threshold for that turbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

On my 335i I had JB4 which gave me the choice of 7 different maps available on-the-fly through the steering wheel controls aswell as a lot of other stuff right in front of me.
    Wow $$$ that's a serious sounding setup :eek:

I was idly wondering what are the pitfalls in mapping a 1.8TDCI CMax with 340k km on the clock?
    Engine, gearbox and clutch are good, but EGR and Turbo are an unknown quantity. The car seems to drive fairly well, but the turbo has been making a bit of a "whooooop" noise under acceleration. It has done so for over 100k km, it doesn't seem to affect performance and by all accounts that particular turbo seems to make that noise almost as standard.
    What is the rebuild threshold for that turbo?

Forget about remapping. Get a turbo out of an artic from a breakers yard and recondition it. Fit that to your CMax along with some seriously lumpy cams and whack the resultant 500HP into the last 500RPM before the redline. Drag-staaahh!! :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement