Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Bah. Brakes...

One of my disks picked up some ****e during the week - an obvious scuff mark or deposit on the surface. Can ****ing feel it through the pedal at anything over 80 when you touch the brakes. Then through the entire car when you touch them harder.

Need to figure out how to clean that ****e off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

CIP4 wrote: »
    As much as I'm into cars I never really seen the point of all these fancy wedding cars. Id personally be happy enough to use whatever car I'd have at the time when / if I get married. Maybe I'll look at it differently when / if the time comes. I mean any half decent car looks well with a few fancy plates, ribbon and a well detailed exterior.

True. They are less than 1% of most weddings so you only notice them only in photos afterwards, if that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

GvidoR wrote: »
    True. They are less than 1% of most weddings so you only notice them only in photos afterwards, if that.

Ah I'm sure the Megane would polish up well :pac: it would be very wishful thinking to think I'd still have that by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

As much as I'm into cars I never really seen the point of all these fancy wedding cars. Id personally be happy enough to use whatever car I'd have at the time when / if I get married. Maybe I'll look at it differently when / if the time comes. I mean any half decent car looks well with a few fancy plates, ribbon and a well detailed exterior.

On the brake pads checked mine during the week basically new on the front 70% on the back not so bad :) I'd personally change them once they get near at the limit with a few mill left there fairly cheap generally.

You won't be saying that when you see them all in Kilkenny city :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

But I'd notice and if I didn't have the car I wanted that's grounds for divorce :D

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »
    You won't be saying that when you see them all in Kilkenny city :P

I was at a wedding there only a few weeks ago in kk and its was in a certain 5 star hotel it was a grand day but what it cost was mad. I don't mind weddings but as you can tell I'm not exactly a massive fan. But then I suppose if your in love you will do anything your bride to be wants including the fancy wedding or if you were really lucky you'd find a women who isn't big into weddings that quiet unlikely though. I suppose it's about finding a happy medium not something you'll need a mortgage but yet something you can look back on and be happy with.

The above is along way off topic so on the topic of cars I think my odometer /display is on the way out Renault life I suppose :pac: I actually don't even care as long as it stays driving it's nice to feel like this for the moment not be too bothered either way by car issues for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Aaaaaaaaaaaand Sobaneks closed his account, I should probably do the same to mine, seems to be the in thing right now :pac:

Lads, just found out my cousin got side swiped by a lorry yesterday and managed to walk away from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'm getting married after Christmas, I have no idea what I'll do for wedding cars tbh

How about a jaaaaaaaag? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Aaaaaaaaaaaand Sobaneks closed his account, I should probably do the same to mine, seems to be the in thing right now :pac:

Account closing.

Attention seeking bolloxology in general tbh.

Must be a hipster thing.

How about a jaaaaaaaag? :pac:

She hates them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

She hates them now.

Why??

Lads, just found out my cousin got side swiped by a lorry yesterday and managed to walk away from this.

Jesus! S/he did well to walk away from that, I'd say?! Shaken up, anyway, I'd imagine? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Any recommendations on where to get 20L motor oil, BMW LL01 or 04? (Ie at a decent price)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Was a a friends wedding last week, outside the estate house they got married in he had his 3.2 busso powered Alfa GT, a 166 and a 156, all his! Great wedding car line up!

jimgoose wrote: »
    Why??

Long story. basically I bought one a few years ago instead of something completely car-unrelated she wanted.

Jesus! S/he did well to walk away from that, I'd say?! Shaken up, anyway, I'd imagine? :eek:

Shaken but everyone is grand thankfully. I was told the drivers seat just lifted straight out of the car afterward. She learnt a valuable lesson here. Only pull into the hard shoulder of a motorway if there is an emergency. Could have been much worse.

Trojan wrote: »
    Any recommendations on where to get 20L motor oil, BMW LL01 or 04? (Ie at a decent price)

Pretty sure the Total Quantum I buy from Micksgarage is LL01

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shaken but everyone is grand thankfully. I was told the drivers seat just lifted straight out of the car afterward. She learnt a valuable lesson here. Only pull into the hard shoulder of a motorway if there is an emergency. Could have been much worse.

Glad to hear everyone is ok, looked horrible.

• Advertisement

Here's a quick question for ye guys..

In the C5 glovebox there's a small box with 2 sockets (red and white I think? For the auxiliary sound connections). What way would I set that up?

I had an IO Play2 kit installed in the 407, and a Parrott Mki9200, and the sound of music streaming from the phone was dire on both of them (vs the sound of the radio/CD player). The C5 has a built in phone kit so bluetooth calls are fine, it's just the music streaming I'm thinking about.

Im hesitant to install another IO play2 or parrott mki9200 kit, if the sound quality will be as bad as before (despite the great reviews they got). However, Im not sure how the aux box works? Is it a case of going out and buying an MP3 player and a 3.5 jack > Aux connector?

This thing:

http://www.thatcable.com/img/products/2157.jpg

And if it's that straight forward, has anyone ever used this set up before? For optimal audio quality, do you really need to be using a super-duper high end MP3 player? Or could I just buy a longer wire and get an auto-elec to wire it up through the car, so the jack hangs down from the top of the windscreen where I'd normally place my phone? (this seems like the best option, but unsure if it'd work, and if it did work, would having a headphone jack in my phone disturb bluetooth phone calls?

I really just want high quality music streaming from my phone, but this seems to be an unnecessarily difficult thing to do. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Had a nice spin down to Kilronan Castle there to collect some family from a wedding, ironically! Lovely place, very fancy indeed.

Seen the wedding car parked way in the distance. Was an old timer anyway, beige in colour I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9919232

My next buy.....I wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Very rear to see one of those around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Very rear to see one of those around!

Ino, so rare in fact that I could insure one for 150-200 more then my 1.8.

Can be mapped with a bluefin chip from 216bhp to 260bhp with no impact on fuel consumption apparently.

Had a nice spin down to Kilronan Castle there to collect some family from a wedding, ironically! Lovely place, very fancy indeed.

Seen the wedding car parked way in the distance. Was an old timer anyway, beige in colour I think.

Yup, it's a nice place alright.

@kkv for the red and white sockets you need an rca to aux in cable they can be got cheap in halfirds that's where I got mine. My Bluetooth music streaming is probably better sound quality but aux in is grand to have for iPods.

Long story. basically I bought one a few years ago instead of something completely car-unrelated she wanted.

Yes, I did something similar. Best car I ever drove. I put her on the insurance - that quietens 'em, usually. :D

Ino, so rare in fact that I could insure one for 150-200 more then my 1.8.

Can be mapped with a bluefin chip from 216bhp to 260bhp with no impact on fuel consumption apparently.

In all fairitude I'm inclined to call "mate a' mine daahn pub, knowarramean innit??" on that, especially the fuel consumption bit. They run about 100 BHP/l stock. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

There ye go lads :)

Then 2.5 Volvo engines.

No power atall hai

Mitsuoka-Ryoga1st.JPG

Mitsuoka Ryoga.
    That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

A primera? Didn't they have a version of the micra like that as well with just as mad looking front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You could call that the Rolls Royce of Primera's. :pac:

A primera? Didn't they have a version of the micra like that as well with just as mad looking front?

Bolero edition kicked in yo.

Nissan_Micra_Bolero_(K11).jpg

• Advertisement

@kkv for the red and white sockets you need an rca to aux in cable they can be got cheap in halfirds that's where I got mine. My Bluetooth music streaming is probably better sound quality but aux in is grand to have for iPods.

Cheers CIP4.

This'd be it here, yeah?

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/car-audio/sound-system-accessories/autoleads-car-audio-to-mp3-player-rca-connector-lead

Presumably then I can play audio from anything I like that has a headphone jack? I might pick up that wire and see how I get on. If the quality is OK I'll work with it, but if not, I'll go the aftermarket bluetooth kit route (which, ultimately, i'd rather avoid).

What's the deal with all the Bentley badges? :confused:
    http://www.adverts.ie/8704851

Chrysler Cherokee? Seriously?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/06-chrysler-cherokee-jeep/10153094

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Cheers CIP4.

This'd be it here, yeah?

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/car-audio/sound-system-accessories/autoleads-car-audio-to-mp3-player-rca-connector-lead

Presumably then I can play audio from anything I like that has a headphone jack? I might pick up that wire and see how I get on. If the quality is OK I'll work with it, but if not, I'll go the aftermarket bluetooth kit route (which, ultimately, i'd rather avoid).

I'm using a similar setup in my cmax with my phone. Quality is great, but depends on the phone. But it should definitely be an improvement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Shouldn't that be Fiat? :D
    Whatever it is, it is uglier than Satan's Butthole.

What's the deal with all the Bentley badges? :confused:...

For those who want a Bentley, can't afford it and don't want to look like a pimp either. Oh hell yeah, we rollin'.

• Advertisement

The Bentley badge stuck on the airbag is as amusing as it is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The Bentley badge stuck on the airbag is as amusing as it is dangerous.

Couldn't quite tell from the photo's. .. does it have fog lights?
    What epic displays of sh1thehawkery that car has seen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Hi!

Probably will annoy all of you more than before - at least 1 week off work after Septoplasty.

:D

I'm using a similar setup in my cmax with my phone. Quality is great, but depends on the phone. But it should definitely be an improvement.

I actually ran into PowerCity as I was passing by them, and they had the wire I wanted (for only €3). Plugged it into the Aux box and into the phone and it played handy enough.

Then made a call (with the 3.5mm jack still connected to the phone) and the car's bluetooth kit took over, so it seems to be a runner.

Might just need to get a longer wire now, and an Auto electrician to pull the necessary pieces off (pillar, etc.) to fit it, so the 3.5mm jack just hangs out of the ceiling over where the phone sits in it's cradle (to minimise the amount of visible wiring).

Haven't really played about with the audio quality but seems like I could be on to a winner with it!

Will actually have to ring the auto-electrician and see does he do dash cams. Now that I'm not spending anything on a parrot kit, i may aswell look into a camera instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I absolutely hate the fact that I will need to take a day off in order to call around to all the insurance companies and get a quote. None of them are working on Saturdays and I'm working Monday to Friday.

Add that to the fact that I have a foreign name and have to spend ages spelling it out to EVERY insurance company :pac:

Pov06 wrote: »
    Add that to the fact that I have a foreign name and have to spend ages spelling it out to EVERY insurance company :pac:

demfeels

It also doesn't help when you're in bad coverage with a crappy phone. I upgraded a couple of days ago though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Every week I resolve to finally give my car the oil change it probably needs. Every Saturday I put it off to Sunday. Every Sunday I sit there staring it at, thinking "I'm gonna do it, donna do it, gonna do it......"

Then night falls and it gets left until next week. Again.

Where the **** do all you ***** get your motivation and how the **** do I get some?

Was it given out when I had my back turned?

Maybe next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Dartz wrote: »
    Every week I resolve to finally give my car the oil change iT needs. Every Saturday I put it off to Sunday. Every Sunday I sit there staring it at, thinking "I'm gonna do it, donna do it, gonna do it......"

Then night falls and it gets left until next week. Again.

Where the **** do all you ***** get your motivation and how the **** do I get some?

Was it given out when I had my back turned?

Maybe next weekend.

You need to find something you want to avoid doing more and service the car instead :)

Oil change is an easy job, doesn't require much motivation.

Lots and lots of red bull...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement