Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Half dead after today. Poor heart was nearly gone. Anyway, today's transport, complete with the essential flag!

2a7zi2o.png

after that shambles of a game the GAA should be giving refunds or free tickets to the replay:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

davycc wrote:
    after that shambles of a game the GAA should be giving refunds or free tickets to the replay

Last 10 minutes made up for it though. Mental atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

R.O.R wrote: »
    Don't think the D3 was ever designated as a DriveE engine. It's the 5 cylinder 2.0 engine, which is pretty reliable up to 200,000km ish. It's much better to drive than the older 2.0 140ps (Ford/PSA) diesel, but still lacking a little bit. If there's a polestar upgrade available, that takes it up to 205ps and would make it much nicer to drive (as well as being a factory approved remap).

Wouldn't be concerned about the lack of Nav, as it's not a great system anyway. I'm waiting on a new E-Class coming in to replace a 2011 D3 Auto that I've driven a good few times and it's a great motor, just lacking that little bit of extra power.

Hmm I was fairly sure it said D3 DrivE on the back of it.
    So you wouldn't recommend the satnav system then? Haven't thought about the Polestar upgrade, I imagine this would cost a fortune though if it's directly from Volvo.
    Would you have anything negative about the Volvo? Something to look out for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

It's showing no crash damage to the front. The chassis is straight and no creases are visible in the crumple zone. But it is a silly picture...

yes it is, cause to the uninitiated it looks like frontal damage and might put off a potential buyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

did it sound like it enjoyed it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

This is how the car sits for a few days now, getting the bumper done. .

Getting asked in work what the heck I'm at :)

360692.jpg

Looks like a kit car!

Just wondering, and god forbid, would there be any implications insurance wise if you hit a pedestrian, or cyclist? With the "unprotected front end", pointy bits etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Looks like a kit car!

Just wondering, and god forbid, would there be any implications insurance wise if you hit a pedestrian, or cyclist? With the "unprotected front end", pointy bits etc.

Isn't there less parts to hit a pedestrian now? The only part that sticks out now are headlights and grille. It was headlights, grille and bumper beforehand.

Looks like a kit car!

La la la la la :pac:

To be honest I'm unsure, i doubt i could hurt them more :)

Everything is fine as long as you don't crash :D

• Advertisement

Pov06 wrote: »
    Everything is fine as long as you don't crash :D

I'll say it must have been obliterated in the crash :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    I'll say it must have been obliterated in the crash :)

Sounds like a plan. Blame the recovery truck guy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

on the off chance, does anyone have an original magsafe charger for MacBook pro from 2009 to 2011

My own is on the verge of giving up after 6 years :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

on the off chance, does anyone have an original magsafe charger for MacBook pro from 2009 to 2011

Might be worth trying this as the terminal might be fouled too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpUNZL7J3gg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

This is how the car sits for a few days now, getting the bumper done. .

Getting asked in work what the heck I'm at :)

The radiator looks fairly vulnerable there. But sure I suppose what can you do if you need the car for work and the bumper is off getting done.

Also unrelated but if a 2011 car (parents Octavia) regged on the 1st of December 2011 if it was ncted now when is it due in other words how early can you test it and get the next nct still due 1 December 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

CIP4 wrote: »
    [...] how early can you test it and get the next nct still due 1 December 2017.

3 months ahead of due date.

The radiator looks fairly vulnerable there. But sure I suppose what can you do if you need the car for work and the bumper is off getting done.

I don't know if you know the sport bumpers on these cip, but they have a huge gaping hole there anyway. I never hear of it being a problem in forums anyway so I'd say I'm safe.

I can see how it looks though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Only have a 6/12 volt charger in the garage. :D
    I'm sure it can be made to fit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I don't know if you know the sport bumpers on these cip, but they have a huge gaping hole there anyway. I never hear of it being a problem in forums anyway so I'd say I'm safe.

I can see how it looks though!

Watch out for the badgers!!

Interslice wrote: »
    Watch out for the badgers!!

Great, now I can't get this out of my head!! :mad::mad:

http://badgerbadgerbadger.com/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I hate dealers that put up POA, i just skip the ad's.
    They are losing potential customers! :pac:

Have you ever been to Roscommon? I know those Lamborghini's look fancy, but that's not really why they're so common down there. They're a necessity for getting around the back roads. Surprisingly good for towing, apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

They sold a Ferrari 458 Italia recently too!
    Who are these guys??

http://www.godirect-cars.com/details.php?id=107

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

More shenanigans

Anyone know any good website for Renault parts. As in tail lights and reflector strips I know micksgarage do tail lights but wouldn't be too confident in the quality or how perfectly they will match which there is nothing worse as it makes the car look crashed. I should probably just go to main dealer what would you be talking for new tail light unit from main dealer very roughly over 100 euro ? Not even sure if they warrant spending that sort of money on. Might ring a dealer and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

eBay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    People rag on the engine that's in the 996 generation of Porsche 911's but I had a student yesterday decide to go from 3rd gear at about 7k RPM's to 2nd gear :eek: Must have hit 10-11k RPM's and the engine kept on going.

Bye bye subaru boxer if you did that I'd say!

• Advertisement

Anyone know any good website for Renault parts.

What about a breakers cip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Dia1988 wrote: »
    They sold a Ferrari 458 Italia recently too!
    Who are these guys??

http://www.godirect-cars.com/details.php?id=107

They've got a serious stock list anyway!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    People rag on the engine that's in the 996 generation of Porsche 911's but I had a student yesterday decide to go from 3rd gear at about 7k RPM's to 2nd gear :eek: Must have hit 10-11k RPM's and the engine kept on going.

Yummy high rpm's ;)

Dia1988 wrote:
    They sold a Ferrari 458 Italia recently too! Who are these guys??

That go direct crowd in Ballagh aren't great. Are known for shenanigans and dodgy activity. Just go and look at their forecourt, cars jammed into the forecourt, gammy looking signs, and I think a prefab is used as an office. The main building is run down.

If they can afford to buy/sell high powered, very expensive cars, you wonder why their facility's/holdings are so "cheap"....

What about a breakers cip?

Problem is the mk3 has unbelievably weak rear light units from the factory that just crack in any kind of cold I mean in the main dealer where I bought mine there was 4 to choose from and only one had perfect tail light. On my car there are 4 clusters 3 are perfect one has a few cracks on the side and was hit by previous owner putting something in the boot and the corner of the plastic is gone. Now it's not letting in water but some moisture must be getting in as its starting to discolour. I don't think any breakers would have perfect ones but may be worth a try. I also made sh!t of a bottom reflector strip I'll put my hands up for that damage all right :pac: I think they are 30 quid on eBay which seems strong surly a main dealer wouldn't be that expensive.

I'm not too mad about spending money on the car on cosmetics but these might be worth doing if the parts weren't too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Try Mcbrides near hugginstown in Kilkenny :) I'm always seeing there sign on the M9

• Advertisement

eBay

See my other post but for example this is the tail light I need but you see the indicator part is faded and all so pointless replacing mine with that one for example. Very difficult to find a secondhand one in perfect condition.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Renault-Megane-Mk3-08-13-Hatchback-O-S-Rear-Driver-Right-Tail-Light-Lamp-/181842735451?nav=SEARCH

See my other post but for example this is the tail light I need but you see the indicator part is faded and all so pointless replacing mine with that one for example. Very difficult to find a secondhand one in perfect condition.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Renault-Megane-Mk3-08-13-Hatchback-O-S-Rear-Driver-Right-Tail-Light-Lamp-/181842735451?nav=SEARCH

That'd come up fine with a wet sand and polish cip.

That'd come up fine with a wet sand and polish cip.

Not sure if they would really though the plastic is very weird bad quality on them kind of seems to get damaged on the inside too somehow. I'll get a picture of my own one tomorrow it's not overly bad but you'd notice to corner chip out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

That go direct crowd in Ballagh aren't great. Are known for shenanigans and dodgy activity. Just go and look at their forecourt, cars jammed into the forecourt, gammy looking signs, and I think a prefab is used as an office. The main building is run down.

If they can afford to buy/sell high powered, very expensive cars, you wonder why their facility's/holdings are so "cheap"....

Go Direct is only registered as a business name (for 9 years) and not as a limited company which is odd for a business with such a high value stock.

That's unusual!

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Business/Go-Direct-299504

Autosport wrote: »
    Try Mcbrides near hugginstown in Kilkenny :) I'm always seeing there sign on the M9

I've been there a few times alright it was a grand place when you could take the parts of the cars yourself whereas now I think you can't and I'm always weary of that in any scrapyard they send a lad around taking of parts that knows nothing about cars that normally doesn't even have a socket set just a breaker bar and they basically rip the parts of the car. I remember my dad had this trouble a few years ago he was looking for some part and every breaker that had had broken every fixing and click taking it off I mean they hand it to you then what the fcuk good is it to anyone are you suppose to glue it to the car. The above is more about breakers in general rather than mcbrides but does anyone else find that about breakers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

The moon is so bright out you don't even need full beams.

In other news, petrol is down to 131.9

GvidoR wrote: »
    The moon is so bright out you don't even need full beams.

In other news, petrol is down to 131.9

Diesel is 117.9 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Petrol matters most. ;)

GvidoR wrote: »
    Petrol matters most. ;)

Yawn :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

During my recent odyssey with herself's Xsara, while I was ordering a part from the UK it emerged that there was a one-character discrepancy between the VIN number as stamped and plated on the car, and that on the VLC. It was in all likelihood a typo, and you could see it happening right enough. Anyway, the first thing I did was contact the local main dealer here, who confirmed with PSA that the number as appearing on the car is indeed kosher, and they also provided a build code that I was able to verify just inside the driver's door. Armed with this, I contacted Revenue, who told me to call up to them so they could physically verify the car. This they did, and sent off the VLC (after giving me a stamped and annotated copy) for adjustment and re-issue. Tickety-boo. It seems you only need to get written confirmation from the dealer and/or the Gardaí in the event that you cannot physically present at the Revenue office. Not that that's much of a check either really, but I assume that in the event of a gross mismatch they would insist on further proof.

But the point is, this should have been caught years ago by the NCT. Revenue confirmed that the NCT should indeed be confirming the VIN appearing on the car with that on the VLC, and a mismatch is not only a fail but a test refusal. It appears all some of them are doing, if anything, is checking the VLC against the vehicle database in Shannon, i.e. the people that printed the sodding thing. I present this to you good folk as an FYI, and to tell you to be, as we say down here, pure doggie wide, like. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bear1 wrote: »
    Hmm I was fairly sure it said D3 DrivE on the back of it.
    So you wouldn't recommend the satnav system then? Haven't thought about the Polestar upgrade, I imagine this would cost a fortune though if it's directly from Volvo.
    Would you have anything negative about the Volvo? Something to look out for?

Not sure if the UK had a DrivE D3 version, but pretty sure Ireland didn't.

Found the MY12 Product info bulletin (production started week 20 of 2011) and that says:
    DRIVe badge for Manual Transmission on XC60 / XC70 only

Sure it wasn't an XC70? There was a lovely Black one of them for sale recently in Agnelli but it didn't hang around for long.

I very rarely have anything bad to say about any Volvo's :pac:

We had a 2010 2.0d V70 for herself. Gearing on that was slightly wrong to make the most of the engine, so was a bit disappointing to drive, but the D3 should be better (only driven the D3 Auto in a V70). Biggest issue we had was that it was just too big and unwieldy. I've driven 5 Series/E-Class/A6 Estate's, and while some of them are physically bigger than the V70, the V70 just doesn't feel as manouverable. It can be a right PITA in car parks - turning circle isn't great and it tends to stick out further than all other cars. Electric tail gate is also a bit of an arse if you reverse in to a space with an overhang behind it.

Massive space in the boot, massive space in the rear seats - more or less a flat bench seat across the back,. Reliable and torquey engine that's fairly reasonable on fuel (really depends which version of the engine as Co2 went down fairly rapidly over the past few years). Most importantly, for something that will be carrying family, is that it's very, very safe. €17,500 of damage finished ours off, but herself came out with a minor bruise on her thigh, and our 16 month old and 6 week old (at the time) slept through the whole thing and didn't have so much as a scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Always loved the CH wheels! Have CK on mine, mostly because the CH cost a good 30% more, and the CK looks awesome too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

CH's suit the mark V really well, I'd go that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://performancealloys.com/

They're UK based, so not too sure how the pricing will work now that the sterling is much stronger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

http://performancealloys.com/

They're UK based, so not too sure how the pricing will work now that the sterling is much stronger.

Very interesting. Most expensive that would fit my diesel Ford are £1337.53. Per wheel. I'll take 2 sets! And then put Triangles on them...:D
    It mentions Ferrari and Porsche, but it did show up when I searched for CMax... I'm sure they'll look spiffing on it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement