Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Anyone know where would be the cheapest place to find a set of Focus ST alloys? I'm not a fan of the hub caps :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Pov06 wrote:
    Anyone know where would be the cheapest place to find a set of Focus ST alloys? I'm not a fan of the hub caps

The 17's off the zetec with the added pack would suit best imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Pov06 wrote: »
    Anyone know where would be the cheapest place to find a set of Focus ST alloys? I'm not a fan of the hub caps :pac:

Ask meegans and see if they still have the set on the focus below (thanks dr fuzz!)

Noccy did you inquire about that set before?

Edit: oooh baby! :D
    mgm20inch%20on%20st.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^
    That's a Focus?

Ask meegans and see if they still have the set on the mondeo below (i think mondeo?)

Noccy did you inquire about that set before?

Sent Meegan's a text there. Will see if they still have them :)

ftI1Th5.jpg?1

^^^
    That's a Focus?

I never bothered me hoop checking what it was :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

^^^
    That's a Focus?

It's one of those boy racers Ford Focuses too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

R.O.R wrote: »
    Not sure if the UK had a DrivE D3 version, but pretty sure Ireland didn't.

Found the MY12 Product info bulletin (production started week 20 of 2011) and that says:
    DRIVe badge for Manual Transmission on XC60 / XC70 only

Sure it wasn't an XC70? There was a lovely Black one of them for sale recently in Agnelli but it didn't hang around for long.

I very rarely have anything bad to say about any Volvo's :pac:

We had a 2010 2.0d V70 for herself. Gearing on that was slightly wrong to make the most of the engine, so was a bit disappointing to drive, but the D3 should be better (only driven the D3 Auto in a V70). Biggest issue we had was that it was just too big and unwieldy. I've driven 5 Series/E-Class/A6 Estate's, and while some of them are physically bigger than the V70, the V70 just doesn't feel as manouverable. It can be a right PITA in car parks - turning circle isn't great and it tends to stick out further than all other cars. Electric tail gate is also a bit of an arse if you reverse in to a space with an overhang behind it.

Massive space in the boot, massive space in the rear seats - more or less a flat bench seat across the back,. Reliable and torquey engine that's fairly reasonable on fuel (really depends which version of the engine as Co2 went down fairly rapidly over the past few years). Most importantly, for something that will be carrying family, is that it's very, very safe. €17,500 of damage finished ours off, but herself came out with a minor bruise on her thigh, and our 16 month old and 6 week old (at the time) slept through the whole thing and didn't have so much as a scratch.

My God! :eek: glad no one was hurt - piece of metal and all that.
    Yeah we have a new born (3 months at this stage) and in the next few months I would like to upgrade the car to something similar to the V70.
    Now, you may be right about the XC, are they slightly higher up? Cause this one was but the seller said they aren't 4x4.
    Have been scouring the net looking for the perfect example but what I am thinking at the moment is a baby blue (Polizia colour in Italy) R-design V70 D3.
    Think that would suit me to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bear1 wrote: »
    My God! :eek: glad no one was hurt - piece of metal and all that.
    Yeah we have a new born (3 months at this stage) and in the next few months I would like to upgrade the car to something similar to the V70.
    Now, you may be right about the XC, are they slightly higher up? Cause this one was but the seller said they aren't 4x4.
    Have been scouring the net looking for the perfect example but what I am thinking at the moment is a baby blue (Polizia colour in Italy) R-design V70 D3.
    Think that would suit me to the ground.

XC70 is a bit higher up and the DrivE version was the 2wd model - one of the most pointless vehicles sold in my opinion - worse handling and fuel economy than the V70, without the benefit of the 4wd system.

You'll probably be looking at an import if you want an R-Design of that era, was available in Ireland in late 2011 - no idea if anyone bought one, but very few V70's were sold anyway - most are probably 1.6 (or D2) SE models.

Wouldn't pay extra for an XC70 - is the one you were looking at a Black 2011 one with a good few extra's? That's the one that was in Agnellis with low mileage and was pretty cheap - think it was around €24,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

anyone any good with malware? i'm not :P
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96838770

anyone any good with malware? i'm not :P
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96838770

Can you restore to a previous point?

Also try elite toolbar remover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

In other news, it is a great day today. For the day today is the day that I have doubled the mileage on the General since I bought him in 2006, to 159,600. Chin-Chin, old stick. :cool:

R.O.R wrote: »
    XC70 is a bit higher up and the DrivE version was the 2wd model - one of the most pointless vehicles sold in my opinion - worse handling and fuel economy than the V70, without the benefit of the 4wd system.

You'll probably be looking at an import if you want an R-Design of that era, was available in Ireland in late 2011 - no idea if anyone bought one, but very few V70's were sold anyway - most are probably 1.6 (or D2) SE models.

Wouldn't pay extra for an XC70 - is the one you were looking at a Black 2011 one with a good few extra's? That's the one that was in Agnellis with low mileage and was pretty cheap - think it was around €24,000.

Think you're right about the XC70, not a fan of the looks of it anyway.
    Nope didn't see anything in Agnellis, if anything I'm looking abroad for one - most likely a left hooker as I do quite a lot in Europe for long periods of time and it's getting tiring with the RHD unless its motorway driving which doesn't make much of a difference.
    Saw a nice R-design one from I think 2010 for approx 15k which seems like good value for me (without satnav)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

OSI wrote: »
    Car is going in to get the Mrs' handy work fixed, so I'm half considering some new wheels to go with the fixed bodywork. But I can't decide wether to stick on another set of diamond cut Monzas or opt for some BBS CHs which are the same as the Pescaras that came on the Edition 30 GTI. I think they look quite nice:

The Edition 30 wheels weren't CH's - but similar-ish alright. They are BBS VZ.

Keith in Alloy-Wheels.ie always comes up as the man to talk to. He often advertises BBS wheels/tyres packages over on autostadt.ie.

http://www.alloy-wheels.ie/bbs.html

Alternatively you could get your existing diamond cut wheels refurbed with a powder-coated finish. Wheel Wizards or Collins Engineering (in Bray?) are often recommended. You will not get an unmarked set of diamond cut Monzas unless you buy them brand new in the dealers - and for that you'd have your pants pulled down. I would say avoid the diamond cut finish if at all possible, it's a pain in the arse. The finish (especially a refurbed finish) doesn't last.

EDIT, here's an offer Keith had on the VZ wheels a while back - http://www.autostadt.ie/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=2533&hilit=BBS+VZ

Sent Meegan's a text there. Will see if they still have them :)

Nope didn't ask about them wheels. They look a bit tattered in the pic, so surely there'll appear worse in reality. It's not often that I badmouth a company, but that crowd are dirty rotten people. Sent me alloys filthy, kerbed, some punctured, some had no thread (despite stating 60%), no valve caps, no wheel nuts. Suprised they didn't keep the centre caps.....

You're hardly putting them 18" snowflakes from the mondeo onto a focus?

• Advertisement

I heard someone say that there's a predicted increase of a litre of petrol/diesel of 5c at midnight tonight.

I heard someone say that there's a predicted increase of a litre of petrol/diesel of 5c at midnight tonight.

And why in the name of fook would that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Maybe it will drop lower and the gov are anticipating this?

Cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's life. :]

• Advertisement

Good to know they haven't forgotten how to fleece the motorists.

Unregistered Users

Good to know they haven't forgotten how to fleece the motorists.
    That's the thing you can be sure they'd NEVER forget.

bear1 wrote:

I don't know if there's any truth in it, seen a local taxi driver had some post about it. Just thought I'd mention it and see if anyone else heard anything?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Something weird just happened.

There was a teal colour Punto "parked" at the entrance of Super Valu car park on its way out with nobody in it. Garda beside it writing something, with a couple of other Gardas around. Then a tow truck came, put the Punto on it, the car was searched a bit and then taken away.

Any recommendations for a digital tyre inflator or anyone use one? I was looking at the halfords one here: http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/tools-diy/breakdown-essentials/halfords-digital-tyre-inflator

Hal1 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a digital tyre inflator or anyone use one? I was looking at the halfords one here: http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/tools-diy/breakdown-essentials/halfords-digital-tyre-inflator

I just stop at the service area when I'm filling up and check :)

I just stop at the service area when I'm filling up and check :)

I do that too, but last time I used a bike pump with pressure gauge. :D

I do too and have always done so. But my cousin had one and says it's so convenient and doesn't take long at all to pump all 4 tyres. It just got me thinking about all the euros I've put into those digital air pumps on the forecourts. As I don't use the analog ones lying about the place as I find them inaccurate.
    GvidoR wrote:
    I do that too, but last time I used a bike pump with pressure gauge.

You must have arms like popeye now so :).

You must have arms like popeye now so :).

Haha, the tyres were not flat, I just checked the pressure and pumped enough to have the same amount in all tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

not sure about the switches inside the steering wheel though..
    OSI wrote: »
    Saw a story on the BBC website about a Maserati concept car from the 70s going up for auction. Get a look at that interior! Can't imagine that's the most ergonomic of wheel and dial set ups.

888775227.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

just had someone speed up while I was overtaking them and then BEEP BEEP BEEP while following too close behind after I merged back in. it's the ****ing n plates I swear, seeing it makes every bad driver think they're more qualified to be on the road.

Unregistered Users

just had someone speed up while I was overtaking them [...]

PITA - have similar experience frequently. The only thing I can do is to indicate as late as possible + drop a gear + step on a throttle. To leave them little or no time to react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

joujoujou wrote: »
    PITA - have similar experience frequently. The only thing I can do is to indicate as late as possible + drop a gear + step on a throttle. To leave them little or no time to react.

yeah I won't go on and on about it I had to shift down to 3rd from 5th but even then the pos I own at the moment doesn't have nearly enough go in it for those kind of situations

It's just mostly annoying because it only happens in my own car with the N plates up, I have driving of other cars on my policy and nothing ever happens in the cars without N plates. (I know they should still have N plates up when I use them anyway..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I'd drive it! Reminds me of the mental Lancia concept from the 70's.

uAN9asI.jpg?1

Clearly where Tesla got their Dash layout from!

Undertook 2 trucks doing 90 km/h on the N7 (one truck in lane 2 and another in lane 3) while I was in lane 1. Hate this stupid carry-on.

CPC training my hole...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I could do with getting diesel too but I'm too lazy too go for it :pac:

I got a really cheap one in halfords 3 years ago or so use it a good big and it works perfect very slow but does the job. Digital gauge and led lights and all. I must check what brand it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Dia1988 wrote: »
    It's one of those boy racers Ford Focuses too!

Surely the bestest kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I'd drive it! Reminds me of the mental Lancia concept from the 70's.

The Lancia trevi one is more bonkers as it actually made it into production.

Love it just because its so mental

tumblr_lzxefnEbmL1roi5yvo1_1280.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

so ****ing sick of threads about insurance :mad:

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    so ****ing sick of threads about insurance :mad:

Blame insurance companies :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I have given up looking at new threads at this stage, just swan about in the usuals, venture out the odd night but its always the same!

YbFocus wrote:
    I have given up looking at new threads at this stage, just swan about in the usuals, venture out the odd night but its always the same!

Same here, don't seem to get a chance to look at other threads, only the ones I follow. Wait until I get back to work, I'll hardly ever be here.

Can I just ramble in to any old tyre shop and buy a steelie off them? Would your every day steel wheel cost much?

I'm thinking as use as a spare wheel. C5 has space for a spare wheel, but no actual wheel. Think it's one of those inflator kits that's in there. Didn't even look at it. I want an actual spare wheel. :o

Can I just ramble in to any old tyre shop and buy a steelie off them? Would your every day steel wheel cost much?

Breakers, I'd say you should be able to get one for 40ish with a middling tyre?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Breakers, I'd say you should be able to get one for 40ish with a middling tyre?

Was about to suggest this too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

No tyre place will have a steel wheel for you KKV, a breakers or ebay or the likes are your only bet.

Perfect so, guys. Breaker's yard never crossed my mind, to be honest. Will pop out to one tomorrow. I presume they'd have steel wheels a plenty.

I always seem to end up buying cars with slightly worn drivers mat at the position where your shoe heal and the hole just gets bigger and bigger. Another thing to add to the list granted fairly far down it. Mats are perfect other than that one hole they are Renault mats that came with the car embroidered and all.

CIP4 wrote: »
    I always seem to end up buying cars with slightly worn drivers mat at the position where your shoe heal and the hole just gets bigger and bigger. Another thing to add to the list granted fairly far down it. Mats are perfect other than that one hole they are Renault mats that came with the car embroidered and all.

For the focus, I bought a set of Tesco carpeted mats. Lasted 20,000km in fairness to them (they were still in it when i sold it) but the carpet had completely worn away where I rest my right heel. :(

Still.. for €20..

For the focus, I bought a set of Tesco carpeted mats. Lasted 20,000km in fairness to them (they were still in it when i sold it) but the carpet had completely worn away where I rest my right heel. :(

Still.. for €20..

I kind of like the ones that are in it and they have to clips to hold the mats in place which is a must for me I hate mats that move all over the place they are plain dangerous. Ah I'll get another while out of these ones and then I'll price a replacement pair in a dealer which will no doubt be outrageously expensive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement