Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

CIP4 wrote: »
    I kind of like the ones that are in it and they have to clips to hold the mats in place which is a must for me I hate mats that move all over the place they are plain dangerous. Ah I'll get another while out of these ones and then I'll price a replacement pair in a dealer which will no doubt be outrageously expensive.

I bought a set on ebay before (for the 407) that had clips on them. Actually.. I think it was Mick's Garage I got them on. Fairly thin mats, all the same :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

You can get tailor made mats any number of places CIP, I wouldn't pay dealer prices.
    Micks Garage does them I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hard to beat fitted mats. Have them in both, look so much better then generic ones.

YbFocus wrote:
    You can get tailor made mats any number of places CIP, I wouldn't pay dealer prices. Micks Garage does them I think?

Yar, I got embroidered ones online for about 30 beans a set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Lancia trevi one is more bonkers as it actually made it into production.

Love it just because its so mental...

Ruddy 'ellfire - my sister had one of them donkey's years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So the alternator packed up today. Had a feeling it was about to die when the battery light came on with a burning smell. Died the moment I brought it to the mechanic.
    Does anyone else have that cursed feeling when they think "ok this month no car repairs" and then the next day your car is in the garage?
    Cant have one month without repairs.

bear1 wrote: »
    ...Does anyone else have that cursed feeling when they think "ok this month no car repairs" and then the next day your car is in the garage?

You'll have that, especially with two cars in the establishment. You're no sooner finished an epic odyssey with one when something goes BING!! in t'other shítheap. This is the life we choose! :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    You'll have that, especially with two cars in the establishment. You're no sooner finished an epic odyssey with one when something goes BING!! in t'other shítheap. This is the life we choose! :D

Always said that I should buy a horse instead but knowing my luck the fecker would probably die the next day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Apparently the EGR valve is part of the exhaust manifold on a 1.8 TDCI and to clean the EGR you need to remove the catalytic converter and turbo :pac:

Always said that I should buy a horse instead but knowing my luck the fecker would probably die the next day :D
    Ah, I dunno - horses produce a lot of shít that has to be dealy with in a more immediate way, never mind carting feed for them, grooming, vets, blah blah...
    Pov06 wrote: »
    Apparently the EGR valve is part of the exhaust manifold on a 1.8 TDCI and to clean the EGR you need to remove the catalytic converter and turbo :pac:
    I've changed my mind. Where's the horse showroom at?? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I am currently pondering having the turbo rebuild on my CMax, that would give me a chance to look at the EGR as well. But that is a project for next year, I don't have the holidays or money to tackle this right now. Still driving OK, just a tad down on power and making a whoooop noise on acceleration.
    At 345k km I'd say any turbo is due a rebuild. One might never know, I might take it apart and it will be in pristine condition. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

GvidoR wrote: »

Is that a "runaway" diesel? That smoke is not a healthy colour, mind.

I believe it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Thats hdi scrap, the dgt I know would only root with the 1.9D-Turbos ;)

Thats hdi scrap, the dgt I know would only root with the 1.9D-Turbos

I swear to god, if you're not dgt re reged then you must be his brother or something. Exact frame of mind, tone etc!

I swear to god, if you're not dgt re reged then you must be his brother or something. Exact frame of mind, tone etc!

I couldn't see him driving a humpy green Corolla. Can you? ;)

Have we ever seen the two in the same room together? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BeatBoxing Blowfish

A prime case showing the obsolescence of diesel engines and why simply put he should have bought a petrol.

• Advertisement

Have any of ye guys ever started riding?

I'm considering a motorbike and wondered if anyone here was also riding one? And if ye took to a bike after ye had been driving your car for a while, was it difficult to adjust to?

I'm annoying the lads over at the Biking forum at the moment, but I'm wondering if anyone here has both a car and bike?

Is there any brand of air or oil filters that include a "next service due" sticker with the filter?

I remember getting filters a few years back and there was a service sticker, can't remember the brand.

I have very little to no interest in bikes. Maybe because I have never ridden one but still... cars all the way.
    Is there any brand of air or oil filters that include a "next service due" sticker with the filter?

http://mightycarmods.com/collections/stickers/products/mighty-car-mods-service-labels-3-pack

I have very little to no interest in bikes. Maybe because I have never ridden one but still... cars all the way.

You've never been on a 2 stroke dirt bike with a statement like that!

I'm considering it from a practical (and curious) standpoint. I do a lot of mileage in Dublin and I reckon I could save a lot of time if I were on a bike.

Ah.. Would you really want "Mighty Car Mods" written on a sticker on your windscreen? :P

Just get a roll of office stickers (the ones used for name tags, etc.) and put it in the area where the door hinge is. :)

• Advertisement

Ah.. Would you really want "Mighty Car Mods" written on a sticker on your windscreen? :P

Yes, of course I would.

20293041820_ee698ec676_c.jpg

Yes, of course I would.

MCM Puuuunto :pac:

MCM Puuuunto :pac:

Mighty Punto Mods. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

KKV you should do the ibt with a school bike and gear and see if it's for you. if you don't like it you should still just go ahead and try get the license in case you want to give it a go again in a few years.

I'm just going about getting a bike license at the moment, I have the learner permit and my full car one as it stands. Waiting until I'm back in college to see when I'll do the IBT. I'm not doing it for practical reasons though, and I have a fair bit of a history with bikes just never on the road.

It's expensive business, 45 for the theory 35 to add the category to a license and then I'll be spending 480 on the ibt. going to be looking like 750 quid just on boots pants jacket helmet gloves, around 2 grand for a bike (and extra for restriction since I'm not 24) and then the awful insurance quote I'll get because I'm not old enough.

Not really in any position to say whether you would take to it easily I can't imagine why not. Even if you've never ever been on a bike before they'll be used to that at the ibt so there's really no previous requirements outside of passing the theory test so just give it a try I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The thing that puts me off bikes is the idiots who have somehow been given a licence to drive. At least if they hit me in a car, I've a good chance of not becoming a donor

• Advertisement

Does it make me immature that the first thought that came into my mind was not bikes.......

Or horses for that matter

:pac: ;)

Does it make me immature that the first thought that came into my mind was not bikes.......

Or horses for that matter

:pac: ;)

Ah... asses are your thing then? :pac:

I-like-big-asses.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i had to salute the lady driver i spotted in the tesco car park who drove on despite a horrendous noise coming from the car. i seen her stop and then reserve and drive off and the noise stopped. It was only then i spotted the top half of the traffic cone lying on the road behind her.

The other half was a few feet down the carpark. She didnt seem overly concerned , how she hit the cone, i am not sure but its bottom half was in the corner hatched area to stop people parking on the end of the rows, it's mate had a lucky escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

New shiny thing!

RhZWIRPl.jpg

Job for the weekend, car is filthy so need that cleaned first.

It's not actually bronze, just my terrible camera skills...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

So the alternator packed up today. Had a feeling it was about to die when the battery light came on with a burning smell. Died the moment I brought it to the mechanic.
    Does anyone else have that cursed feeling when they think "ok this month no car repairs" and then the next day your car is in the garage?
    Get rid of it at last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

irishgeo wrote: »
    i had to salute the lady driver i spotted in the tesco car park who drove on despite a horrendous noise coming from the car. i seen her stop and then reserve and drive off and the noise stopped. It was only then i spotted the top half of the traffic cone lying on the road behind her.

The other half was a few feet down the carpark. She didnt seem overly concerned , how she hit the cone, i am not sure but its bottom half was in the corner hatched area to stop people parking on the end of the rows, it's mate had a lucky escape.

That just made me laugh out loud :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

joujoujou wrote: »
    Get rid of it at last!

I honestly would be in some kind of a mental hospital if I owned that car no joke bear you must be a seriously patient person I would have gotten rid of it a long long time ago. Life is too short to have that many issues with a car. Have you not gotten to the stage where you wouder what will go wrong next that's the time to get rid of it. I mean sh!t happens cars cause trouble but not that amount of trouble consistently one thing after another. You have to know when it's time to cut your losses and move on.

Anyone going to midlands car show/meet this Sunday in Mullingar? Should be a good turnout.

Plastic pipework and turbos should never, ever mix :mad:

Plastic pipework and turbos should never, ever mix :mad:

You ain't doing it right if you can run plastic piping :)

• Advertisement

I'm considering a motorbike and wondered if anyone here was also riding one? And if ye took to a bike after ye had been driving your car for a while, was it difficult to adjust to?

I'm annoying the lads over at the Biking forum at the moment, but I'm wondering if anyone here has both a car and bike?

I do both, if that's any use chief? I don't have one just right at the moment but I have considerable experience. I started on both cars and bikes waaay back as a Gosling. :D

I probably should stated that it was the wife's car that had the alternator failure :) 150e later and its back on the road.
    I believe that's its first repair of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not sure where to put this as you can't chat in dashcam thread but this woman is crazy trying to blame the other lad for speeding
    http://www.unilad.co.uk/video/woman-pulls-out-of-junction-blames-guy-for-totalling-her-car/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

in the american crash above if you pause before the accident you can see the girls bumper is already in a bad state. could be insurance fraud

in the american crash above if you pause before the accident you can see the girls bumper is already in a bad state. could be insurance fraud

If it is, she's doing it wrong.

YbFocus wrote: »
    You ain't doing it right if you can run plastic piping :)

Thats the problem, i cant! Want to have it stock looking under the bonnet... But will need to mandrel bend some metal tube into the biggest looking eejit to get it all to fit :(

I didn't have this problem before, with more hp and same plastic.... Todays lesson: plastic is crap for anything above 1 bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BeatBoxing Blowfish

If it is, she's doing it wrong.

+1
    Now I'm no legal eagle, but surely if it were to be insurance fraud she should at least make sure she was in the right!

When insurance companies ask you "Have you ever been declined insurance?" does not being quoted online on a high performance car count?

• Advertisement

seems like she was trying to trick him into saying he was speeding though, it's all she kept saying. either that or she was on drugs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement