Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Got the ST deres taken out today love it makes big diff to the noise! Great cheap thing to do and still all good for nct so happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was up in Kildare village today kind of a Spur of the moment thing but I needed some clothes so I said I'd go up there as I could get everything I needed in one place. I didn't realise it was so close only a little over an hours drive it was a lovely day for a drive too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Pov06 wrote: »
    Well lads, she's leaking coolant again, this time from a hose that's going from the block to the EGR valve. The thing sprays once you hit 2.5k RPM!

Complete PITA. Second time I've caught it without running completely out.

When mine was leaking I would never leave the house without at least 4 liters in the car.
    The first time I completely ran out (cloud of smoke, warning message and red warning lights on), I parked on the hard shoulder and rang the recovery crowd, might as well get something out of my breakdown cover.
    They said it would take 2 hours to arrive, so being bored of waiting I scouted around the greenstrip behind the crash barrier and found a few empty bottles. Then I walked up and down the motorway till I found a trough with drinking water for cattle in a field and it had a waterfeed that worked. So I took the 2-3 bottles I had, filled them up with water and kept going back and forth till the expansion vessel was at full again.
    Started the car, waited a few mins, all was well, coolant stayed at full (after a bit of refilling due to air coming out), so decided to cancel the tow truck and went on my way to work. Due to laziness and incompetence on my part it took me months to fix the leaks, I had to check the water before every trip and always had a supply in the car. It was (as I mentioned earlier) a leaky thermostat housing and a pipe rubbing off the alternator belt due to Xmas tree damage.
    Don't let a small leak get you down, after a while you will get used to it! :P:D

Mine hasn't lost a drop since then.
    BTW:
    As long as your Focus doesn't leak, you're good. i had a MKI Focus 1.8 TDI, the passenger footwell always had standing water in it. I spend months stripping the entire interior and having a hose pointed at the car looking for a leak. Couldn't find it. Sold the car in the end. Just could not fix the dam leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

When mine was leaking I would never leave the house without at least 4 liters in the car.
    The first time I completely ran out (cloud of smoke, warning message and red warning lights on), I parked on the hard shoulder and rang the recovery crowd, might as well get something out of my breakdown cover.
    They said it would take 2 hours to arrive, so being bored of waiting I scouted around the greenstrip behind the crash barrier and found a few empty bottles. Then I walked up and down the motorway till I found a trough with drinking water for cattle in a field and it had a waterfeed that worked. So I took the 2-3 bottles I had, filled them up with water and kept going back and forth till the expansion vessel was at full again.
    Started the car, waited a few mins, all was well, coolant stayed at full (after a bit of refilling due to air coming out), so decided to cancel the tow truck and went on my way to work. Due to laziness and incompetence on my part it took me months to fix the leaks, I had to check the water before every trip and always had a supply in the car. It was (as I mentioned earlier) a leaky thermostat housing and a pipe rubbing off the alternator belt due to Xmas tree damage.
    Don't let a small leak get you down, after a while you will get used to it! :P:D

Mine hasn't lost a drop since then.
    BTW:
    As long as your Focus doesn't leak, you're good. i had a MKI Focus 1.8 TDI, the passenger footwell always had standing water in it. I spend months stripping the entire interior and having a hose pointed at the car looking for a leak. Couldn't find it. Sold the car in the end. Just could not fix the dam leak.

Well it's good enough that I actually found the culprit. Water stains on the battery cover were a give away though.

Owning a high mileage car has it's own "rewards". I already know the three next projects. Starter (sometimes sticking or not engaging, any hints anyone?). rear wheel bearing groaning and turbo (that will be well into next year).
    Sigh. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Owning a high mileage car has it's own "rewards". I already know the three next projects. Starter (sometimes sticking or not engaging, any hints anyone?). rear wheel bearing groaning and turbo (that will be well into next year).

Wheel bearing was gone on my Megane front passenger it had my head wrecked after a month. I still appreciate the silence of the car since getting it replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

sorry for your troubles noccy mate :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

The starter isn't great on my focus either. My plan is to take it apart clean and grease it. It's seems handy to get off(he says now...!), right at the front of the engine low down. I think I've an older 1.8tdci than you so maybe different on yours. Have done it before on ****ty starters an it's done wonders. Clean up the electric contacts and check the earths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

davycc wrote:
    sorry for your troubles noccy mate

Stop lad, fcukin heartbroken so I am. Such a disappointment for Mayo and their fans. Just to win it once is all we ask :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Advertisement

Ah feck it, I'll jump on the Galway bandwagon for now :pac: Gaillimh abu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Ah feck it, I'll jump on the Galway bandwagon for now :pac: Gaillimh abu!

There's no show like a Joe show !

There's no show like a Joe show !

I'm rooting for Galway all the way! Spend a lot if time in Gtown, and the Galweigans are a nice crowd.

That nico's place is muck btw :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

:D:D:D :pac:

9ae0629b-1911-4659-b926-489a7c273b2e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I want new wheels! Can't find style 22's or 24's!!
    AAAAAaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Get yourself a nice set of wolfrace in halfrauds! :pac:

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Get yourself a nice set of wolfrace in halfrauds! :pac:

Never thought of them!

These?

asiatec-katana.jpg

Or These?

dare_v2.jpg

The first ones definitely!

Gavman84 wrote: »
    The first ones definitely!

Only like €1,299 with tyres in Halfords! Woohoo!

Azev A or natthin

azev3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

YbFocus wrote: »
    I want new wheels! Can't find style 22's or 24's!!
    AAAAAaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

2fe9ab7526315caa95ed430ea0c75518.jpg

Thank me later ;)

Azev A or natthin

Found a set of staggered ones, 10j on the back and someone beat me by €25.
    I was depressed for days!

They just don't exist in big enough numbers!

Thank me later ;)

I seen a pic of them before and was mighty impressed!
    Don't know though, I want azev's or oem 22s/24s!

Found a set of staggered ones, 10j on the back and someone beat me by €25.
    I was depressed for days!

They just don't exist in big enough numbers!

I seen a pic of them before and was mighty impressed!
    Don't know though, I want azev's or oem 22s/24s!

I think Sunflowers/Motorsports are aa it over done on E36's, what about AC Schnitzers?

I think Sunflowers/Motorsports are aa it over done on E36's, what about AC Schnitzers?

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

:D

Not a fan!

I know they are common but I'm lost as to what else!
    A chap near me wants €650 for 7.5j azevs, not a chance.

Edit: The more I look at that pic of the 5 wheels....

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

:D

Not a fan!

I know they are common but I'm lost as to what else!
    A chap near me wants €650 for 7.5j azevs, not a chance.

Edit: The more I look at that pic of the 5 wheels....

The Style 66 E39 wheel really suit the E36 to be honest, fill the arch nicely.

This is my buddies 323i on genuine AC's, looks the biz:

11182692_1029262393770625_7208454801491448731_o_zps7tvwjg1o.jpg

The Style 66 E39 wheel really suit the E36 to be honest, fill the arch nicely.

This is my buddies 323i on genuine AC's, looks the biz:

Gorgeous wheels on that car, it's these ones I always think of and think they look odd!

IMG_1584.jpg

I may look for 66's then, maybe even for a while for a change :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Anyone looking to go to C&C in Cherrywood today don't, all cordoned off by security. Apparently they don't want the cars there anymore

Anyone looking to go to C&C in Cherrywood today don't, all cordoned off by security. Apparently they don't want the cars there anymore

Jesus thats a **** move, serious event that never caused hassle!

Gorgeous wheels on that car, it's these ones I always think of and think they look odd!

I may look for 66's then, maybe even for a while for a change :)

Yeah those ones are a bit naff to be fair. The 66 should be easy enough to pick up, a breakers probably has a set!

• Advertisement

Yeah those ones are a bit naff to be fair. The 66 should be easy enough to pick up, a breakers probably has a set!

Good idea! There's a set for €300 in Dublin with fecked tyres..
    Might see can I get him down a bit..

In other news, remember those weird crashes in video games you thought were glitches?
    They are perfectly real :)

Skip to 1:00

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Guys, can GoSafe vans detect no NCT?

vidor wrote: »

No they can't Vidor, just speed.
    The ANPR cameras can get you though.

Jaysus good thing I slept in. Would have been some trip for nothing

That tells you everything you need to know about the attitude to cars in this country.

That tells you everything you need to know about the attitude to cars in this country.

Something tells me something had to have happened to make them do that. Even last week at the SqueakyClean show one of the Honda heads really lowered the tone and annoyed everyone by limiting his shed of an EG Civic. Luckily his reg was given to the Guards and Tesco so hopefully it won't be ruined for real enthusiasts. From my experience of car events, it's the Jap "Enthusiasts" that ruin them for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BeatBoxing Blowfish

Something tells me something had to have happened to make them do that. Even last week at the SqueakyClean show one of the Honda heads really lowered the tone and annoyed everyone by limiting his shed of an EG Civic. Luckily his reg was given to the Guards and Tesco so hopefully it won't be ruined for real enthusiasts. From my experience of car events, it's the Jap "Enthusiasts" that ruin them for everyone.

That's a generalisation and as we all know all generalisations are right!

However it's a pretty crappy thing to have happened. I've been to a couple of C+C (not in my own car but with some friends) and it's a great event which normally in my experience passes off queitly with no "messing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Learning instructor shows how not to get involved :D

That's a generalisation and as we all know all generalisations are right!

However it's a pretty crappy thing to have happened. I've been to a couple of C+C (not in my own car but with some friends) and it's a great event which normally in my experience passes off queitly with no "messing"

It's a correct generalisation. Believe me, I know there's proper Jap Enthusiasts, I'm friends with a good few but it's the Jap "Enthusiasts" that are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BeatBoxing Blowfish

It's a correct generalisation. Believe me, I know there's proper Jap Enthusiasts, I'm friends with a good few but it's the Jap "Enthusiasts" that are the problem.

If you're making a distinction between John who has an R32 and Johnno who has a civic with a fartcan exhaust then I can agree :)

But those people exist in all fanboy categories.

If you're making a distinction between John who has an R32 and Johnno who has a civic with a fartcan exhaust then I can agree :)

But those people exist in all fanboy categories.

Pretty much the distinction I'm making alright, even last night I met a few lads to chat about cars in the local Topaz and who was there only some shady Corolla's with tinny exhausts revving their engines while parked up, the Guards drove by and they all sped off then, it's that kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

I'd like to thank whomever took the time to grab their keys from their pocket and gouge a nice little scratch in the passenger-side wing of my car at today's Cars and Coffee. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

It did go ahead. People just parked in different places....

vidor wrote:

Wow, your username is almost like mine. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Laads, anyone around north county dublin with a trailer/ recovery truck/ anything to move a car from swords to coolock with three burst tires. Will pay obvs

Anyone have these cables? MultiECUScan? FiatECUScan?

914cGm2WwHL._SL1500_.jpg

I need the red one for like 5 minutes, for... for science.

No they can't Vidor, just speed.
    The ANPR cameras can get you though.

Thanks. And the ANPR cameras, will they just automatically mean that a person will get x number of points and a fine? Or does it mean that the squad car stops you?

vidor wrote: »
    Thanks. And the ANPR cameras, will they just automatically mean that a person will get x number of points and a fine? Or does it mean that the squad car stops you?

I seen one operate in town, car passes by and obviously flagged on system, squad pulled straight out and had the car pulled in within 500m.

You'll be stopped.

On the topic of NCT... is there any advantage of doing it early, say 2 months before it's up?

And if it fails, you can still drive it, right?

I seen one operate in town, car passes by and obviously flagged on system, squad pulled straight out and had the car pulled in within 500m.

You'll be stopped.

Ah ok, thanks. NCT expires tomorrow but I can't get it serviced until Wednesday :/ And have zero other means to get to work.

So I take it a fine and points would have to be issued to me there and then by a Garda (as in I can't go around driving and clock up a load of points unknowingly)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

GvidoR wrote: »
    [...]

And if it fails, you can still drive it, right?
    Yes, you can. But if you (unlikely) get "fail - dangerous" - you can't.

What time would I expect you tomorrow, by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Best place for pressed plates anyone?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement