Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Je suis tres mal

I hope not, couldn't be putting a diseasal into an RX8!
    Something like a v8 from an LS430 would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Flat four would be interesting and might suit size wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

2.3 turbo AWD from the 6MPS.

As mazda engines go it's probably the most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I booked my NCT the other day, confident I'd fly through. Bloody traction control light and handbrake light are back on together again today after 5 problem free months and I really can't afford to fix it before the test :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

dorgasm wrote: »
    I booked my NCT the other day, confident I'd fly through. Bloody traction control light and handbrake light are back on together again today after 5 problem free months and I really can't afford to fix it before the test :(

That wouldn't cause it to fail would it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Agreed. Mazda don't have that many interesting non rotary engines, so keeping it mazda mightnt be that easy. Did I I hear of a diesel rx8?

I wish someone would make a diesel RX8 :D

Theres a few diesel RX7's, some on youtube. 2.0 turbodiesel perkins.... Yummy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Would I be daft to change from a 1999 Yaris 1.0 petrol to a 1.8 TDCi Focus at 20 y/o with 1 NCB?

Would insurance go up, down or stay the same?

I wish someone would make a diesel RX8 :D

Theres a few diesel RX7's, some on youtube. 2.0 turbodiesel perkins.... Yummy :cool:

The fuel of the divil? NOOO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Pov06 wrote: »
    Would I be daft to change from a 1999 Yaris 1.0 petrol to a 1.8 TDCi Focus at 20 y/o with 1 NCB?

Would insurance go up, down or stay the same?

It could go either way, I guess. But even if it goes down, would you do enough miles to compensate for the higher tax? If not, I'd say go for a 1.4 Focus - assuming you want a Focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

CIP4 wrote: »
    That wouldn't cause it to fail would it.
    It would any warning light on and it's a fail I think!

GvidoR wrote: »
    It could go either way, I guess. But even if it goes down, would you do enough miles to compensate for the higher tax? If not, I'd say go for a 1.4 Focus - assuming you want a Focus.

Well the tax will be 280 a year for the 1.8 TDCi. I'm currently paying 199 a year on the 1.0.

Most of my driving is motorway driving so the 1.0 isn't ideal.

Gavman84 wrote: »
    It would any warning light on and it's a fail I think!

Not any warning light.
    Just specific ones, and they are listed in the NCT manual on their website.
    Traction control is definitely one thats a fail.

Well the tax will be 280 a year for the 1.8 TDCi. I'm currently paying 199 a year on the 1.0.

Most of my driving is motorway driving so the 1.0 isn't ideal.

Oh. Didn't know you're going for 2008+

In that case the insurance should definitely drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why not quadrotor? Always the best option :P

• Advertisement

Oh. Didn't know you're going for 2008+

In that case the insurance should definitely drop.

Suuuure it's da chape tax man.

Nah I really want to upgrade from the 1999 Toyota Yaris 1.0 and a 2008 Focus 1.8 TDCi seems like a decent upgrade.

Safer car, cheap tax, economic, newer and almost twice as powerful. I was never a fan of Fords but this model has got me wondering...

Is that the "garda model" focus, same as the countless 07 D light blue ones, or the next model on?

The next one on is subtly different and I think looks much better.

Is that the "garda model" focus, same as the countless 07 D light blue ones, or the next model on?

The next one on is subtly different and I think looks much better.

ford-focus-04.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

Nah I really want to upgrade from the 1999 Toyota Yaris 1.0 and a 2008 Focus 1.8 TDCi seems like a decent upgrade.

Safer car, cheap tax, economic, newer and almost twice as powerful. I was never a fan of Fords but this model has got me wondering...

They're great cars tbh, looking past the Ford fanboi in me, the 1.8 is much superior to the 1.6 psa unit. You'll hear people saying the 1.8 is more "agricultural"(it's a revision of the 1960's endura engine) but if an engine design can last 50 odd years, that can't be a bad thing. Just make sure the turbo and t/b are good. The odd wheel bearing goes but other than that its just consumables.

NickDunne wrote: »
    They're great cars tbh, looking past the Ford fanboi in me, the 1.8 is much superior to the 1.6 psa unit. You'll hear people saying the 1.8 is more "agricultural"(it's a revision of the 1960's endura engine) but if an engine design can last 50 odd years, that can't be a bad thing. Just make sure the turbo and t/b are good. The odd wheel bearing goes but other than that its just consumables.

Yeah the one I'm looking at will be coming with a new timing belt. I wouldn't be worried about wheel bearings because I can change it easily myself.

My main priority is getting a bit more power than the 1.0 Yaris while still being relatively economical.

• Advertisement

The fuel of the divil? NOOO!

Its no fun unless she cooooos like a 110/90 :cool:

Yeah the one I'm looking at will be coming with a new timing belt. I wouldn't be worried about wheel bearings because I can change it easily myself.

My main priority is getting a bit more power than the 1.0 Yaris while still being relatively economical.

They are a good car just don't settle for a 1.6hdi I had a 07 one and it made for a very expensive years driving and left me stranded a few times but that was a mk2 not mk2.5. Would certainly be a nice upgrade alright.

I'll admit I had to submit that one to Mr Google.
    I was wondering why a Landy was being used as a coo reference.

I'll admit I had to submit that one to Mr Google.
    I was wondering why a Landy was being used as a coo reference.

You need to look up Fiat 110/90 straight pipe on youtube :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ford Focuseseses are great. Had a 2004 TDDI, an 09 Transit Connect TDCI, a 1999 Focus Estate TDI and my current 2006 CMax TDCI. All of the 1.8 diesel variant. All reasonably powerful, all close enough to 50 mpg without careful driving, all bombproof, all done several hundred thousand km together. As another poster said, wheelbearings go (easy to change), but one thing to watch out for on the 08 onwards model is the timing belt. They replaced the chain (which has never broken or even been changed on any of my Fords, why can't other manufacturers get something as easy as a chain right) with a wet belt assembly. This HAS to be changed every 100k km, NOT anything else, no matter what anyone says. Ford told people 200k km initially and a lot of them went pop around the 130k km mark.
    The clutch and DMF will last around the 250k km mark, wheel bearings around 100k km, engine and gearbox are at 340k km and still as good as day 1, around 250k km you might need front shocks, springs and bushings, brake pads and disks seem to last forever for me (200k km and only 2 sets of pads and the first set was only 40% worn, but had to replace the disks at 300k km, so pads had to go).
    The state of the fuel line is vital in that car, the fuel pump at the front has to suck diesel all the way from the tank. Any kink and it won't run. Easy fix, new line. Especially if there are any kinks or missing and broken clips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

from what age in Ireland person may start learn and drive a car ? Thanks.

Mar4ix wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

thanks.

Ford Focuseseses are great. Had a 2004 TDDI, an 09 Transit Connect TDCI, a 1999 Focus Estate TDI and my current 2006 CMax TDCI. All of the 1.8 diesel variant. All reasonably powerful, all close enough to 50 mpg without careful driving, all bombproof, all done several hundred thousand km together. As another poster said, wheelbearings go (easy to change), but one thing to watch out for on the 08 onwards model is the timing belt. They replaced the chain (which has never broken or even been changed on any of my Fords, why can't other manufacturers get something as easy as a chain right) with a wet belt assembly. This HAS to be changed every 100k km, NOT anything else, no matter what anyone says. Ford told people 200k km initially and a lot of them went pop around the 130k km mark.
    The clutch and DMF will last around the 250k km mark, wheel bearings around 100k km, engine and gearbox are at 340k km and still as good as day 1, around 250k km you might need front shocks, springs and bushings, brake pads and disks seem to last forever for me (200k km and only 2 sets of pads and the first set was only 40% worn, but had to replace the disks at 300k km, so pads had to go).
    The state of the fuel line is vital in that car, the fuel pump at the front has to suck diesel all the way from the tank. Any kink and it won't run. Easy fix, new line. Especially if there are any kinks or missing and broken clips.

Just from going through the threads over the years your c max really seems to have been a great loyal car to you. Considering its mileage it seems to have caused you very little trouble. I suppose a lot of it as with any car is the fact you mind it and look after it.

Mar4ix wrote: »

You can start learning at any age, but you can get your licence from 17. I did my theory test 2 days after my 17th birthday.

• Advertisement

You can start learning at any age, but you can get your licence from 17. I did my theory test 2 days after my 17th birthday.

Well he did specifically say "drive" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Well he did specifically say "drive" :p

I was driving my dad's car around the golf course and our house since I was 6!

I sat outside the tax office on the morning of my 17th birthday waiting for them to open so I could get my provisional licence. I sat the theory test at 16. I was driving by 10am on the morning of my birthday.

I sat outside the tax office on the morning of my 17th birthday waiting for them to open so I could get my provisional licence. I sat the theory test at 16. I was driving by 10am on the morning of my birthday.

OK you win. :D

OK you win. :D

Your man in the tax office gave me the weirdest look and said oh it's actually your birthday today happy birthday I guess :pac: :D

Just from going through the threads over the years your c max really seems to have been a great loyal car to you. Considering its mileage it seems to have caused you very little trouble. I suppose a lot of it as with any car is the fact you mind it and look after it.

It only had one major hickup, it would keep stalling and cutting out and then nothing on earth could start it. A few mechanics were baffled and just wanted to throw fuel pump and injectors at it. Ford found that the fuel line going from the fuel filter at the front (it's right beside the engine) to the pump (combined fuel/high pressure pump) was drawing air. A hundred bucks to replace. In the meantime I was driving a red '00 1.4 petrol Polo saloon. Fugly, but a great car considering the fact that I sold it for more than I bought it for. :)
    Meanwhile the Cmax had shocks, springs, timing belt, clutch, pads, discs and many, many oilchanges (every 20k km).
    340k km and going strong (touch wood). In fact it's now in better shape than when I bought it. Those Cmax are comfy beasts. I would be very tempted by a TDI Yeti an A4 or maybe a Passat or maybe even a Kuga (not a word said about them ever, strange, considering people will bleat endlessly about the Cashcow), but right now the finances won'rt allow it, so it will have to do the daily Ennis-Limerick grind for another year at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I crashed for the first time in my life today and almost killed toastedpickles!

Damage:
    Front Bumper
    Radiator
    KFC Bench
    Pride

Good news:
    Everyone OK.

Sobanek wrote: »
    I crashed for the first time in my life today and almost killed toastedpickles!

Damage:
    Front Bumper
    Radiator
    KFC Bench
    Pride

Good news:
    Everyone OK.

Very glad to hear everyone's OK.
    Is that some kind of shelf to rest fried chicken on?

Very glad to hear everyone's OK.
    Is that some kind of shelf to rest fried chicken on?

It's one of those they have outside the store.

• Advertisement

Ah, OK, makes sense. i thought it was some kind of newfangled car gizmo I hadn't heard of.

and almost killed toastedpickles!

Whaaat? :eek:

Sorry to hear though. What happened?

q1WPZNZ.jpg

Whaaat? :eek:

Sorry to hear though. What happened?

I got used to Automatics and started the car in gear...

tp was unfortunate enough to be in front of the car, but jumped away in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was. :D

I reversed mine into a low timber pole about 2 months ago still sick over it never bother fixing it. It needs a new rear reflector and the black plastic is abit marked but no damage to the bumper as such. I swear this megane is cursed for bodywork first it was damaged in the garage before I got to collect it they fixed that but since then someone hit their door of my wing and but a nice ding in it and both front doors and dings in them from people whacking the sh!t of of it with doors.

It's so annoying as there is a few other marks and it's starting to look plain tatty for a car of it's age which is sad I'm going getting some touch up paint and I'll try and polish out a few of the light scratches but there is fcuk all I can do about the dents. And I will need to get a new tail light and reflector. But I just don't have the interest on spending the money on them at the moment unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I was watching a video on YouTube about the wet belt and a guy in a taxi company replaced the wet belts on their 1.8 TDCi taxis with the chain instead. Apparently it's a straight swap and lasts forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

I got used to Automatics and started the car in gear...

tp was unfortunate enough to be in front of the car, but jumped away in time

Much better this than vice versa. I've often thought of switching to auto purely for comfort but after driving manual since I started driving 9 years ago, I think I'd have to cable tie my left leg to the seat to stop me going for the clutch pedal i.e. the brake and causing a massive pile up :pac: :pac: Poor kfc bench though :(

Didn't know whether to post this here or in the cycling forum, it's awesome either way. :P

"There was quite a lot of engineering drawing skills required as well as the design of the mechanical aspects of the hub"

Bryan made a spacer with a pipe welded to it. As engineering goes, I don't think that's exactly complex :pac:

Cool project though, a case of "because I can" if there ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Didn't know whether to post this here or in the cycling forum, it's awesome either way. :P

Cheap tyre and rim for your car I suppose.

But truthfully the wheel would buckle on my road into town, not from pot holes but all the bumps and dips etc...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement