Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh Festival

• 07-08-2015 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭

Every year I'm sure I've missed out on some cool shows because I never know whose reviews to trust, or which of the thousands of 5 star rated things to go see. Anyway, I'd like to start a thread of things I might see and maybe update on the things I have. I'd love to see some other reviews too.

International Festival
    The Harmonium Project
    Free, 10.30pm, Friday 7th (tonight only), Usher Hall
    Projecting some cool lights onto Usher Hall with some accompanying music.

Fringe
    David O'Doherty
    £15, 7.15pm, most days, Assembly George Square
    I've seen the DOD maybe 5 or 6 times in the past. Still love seeing his shows.

Rose Matafeo and Guy Montgomery Are Friends
    Free, 4.30pm, most days, Espionage
    I have been listening to Guy Montgomery's podcast with Tim Batt, a fellow New Zealand comedian, where they watch the same movie once a week, every week for a year. It's called The Worst Idea of All Time.

The first season was Grown Ups 2, this season it's Sex and the City 2. Rose has also been a guest on the show where they punish themselves over and over again and descend into madness. They even continue the podcast via Skype during Guy's trip to the Fringe. Looking forward to seeing some standup from them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

My Favourite Words in the English Language
    £8, 7.30pm, most days, The Tron
    I was sucked in by the title but I know many comedians pick a title for the Fringe long before they've even thought of the content so I don't know what the show is going to be like. I did like the video on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Saw these Irish lads last night, Foil, Arms and Hog - pretty much sold out which was surprising for a preview night.
    They're spot on, and their improv is absolutely perfect. Highly, highly recommended if you want to be on the floor laughing for over an hour.

Actually want to see this guy as well - alas no one I know here has finished watching Breaking Bad yet!

Harmonium was good fun

More from Harmonium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

Jimeoin was great craic saw him on Friday @ Venue 150 EICC got preview tickets so was just £10 a ticket think full price is £15.

Loving this thread thanks for starting ðŸ˜Â႒

How to Keep an Alien - getting rave reviews.
    If anyone is keen on seeing this let me know - comedy about an Irish girl trying to get an Irish visa for her Ozzie partner.
    http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/aug/09/how-to-keep-an-alien-edinburgh-festival-review-sonya-kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This is the first August in two years, I dont' have two weddings back home to get to, a fortnight apart, which meant I pretty much missed all of the festival those years.

Sad to see Boy With Tape on Face isn't doing a show this year, looks like he's compiling some new stuff. He's here though, I think he'll be doing Gala lots and jumping in on variety shows his wife runs (Lily La Scala?). If you can get to him, he's fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Festival of the Spoken Nerd: Just for Graphs https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/festival-of-the-spoken-nerd-just-for-graphs
    Worth a visit for those of a nerdy persuasion... who like fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Saw Frankie Boyle at the Assembly Rooms on Tuesday night. Meh. Shock factor stuff and he recycled some jokes that have been floating around online for a while, but I suppose, at a festival, it's a "greatest hits" thing maybe.

I saw Stewart Lee on Wednesday and he was very good, even though he recycled a joke! (which I found out later online)

The "work in progress shows" seemed to be fairly short though.

• Advertisement

Saw Andrew Maxwell tonight & he was on a roll :) Dunno how much of the material is new because we haven't seen him live in a few years. Definitely worth a look.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saw Reginald D Hunter earlier in the week and he seems to have recovered from a weird detour into angry bitterness that he took last time I saw him (in 2013). One or two bits that didn't really work (riffing on bits of American culture that were too niche for the audience) but mostly some very funny stuff, including plenty of moments of making what sounded like an off-colour joke then flipping it around and making you rethink the boundaries of what's acceptable humour.

Just saw Moby Alpha - space opera meets Moby Dick. Go see it, it's brilliant!

Karl Spain had one of his best jokes in the first few minutes.

Down the gym they call me Gerry Adams. I've been a member for years but no one can prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

ladiee24 wrote: »
    Jimeoin was great craic saw him on Friday @ Venue 150 EICC got preview tickets so was just £10 a ticket think full price is £15.

Loving this thread thanks for starting ðŸ˜Â႒

Seen jimeoin aswell he's pretty funny . He's on itison . 2 for 1 tickets during the week Mon - thurs

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

I see Tommy ternian is playing aswell. Hoping to see him , has anyone seen him yet , pretty much sold out every show up to now

kelledy wrote: »
    I see Tommy ternian is playing aswell. Hoping to see him , has anyone seen him yet , pretty much sold out every show up to now

Yeah he's seems to be pretty dam popular - kind of gone off him in recent years but maybe this show is good.
    Went to see Thrones! The Game of Thrones musical comedy - if you're a fan of the show you'd love this. Guest appearances by Harry Potter and even Jimmy Saville, great laugh!

Oh and as always David O'Doherty was brilliant.

Needless to say I'm f*%king loving the festival and dreading the return to normality in September!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

crushproof wrote: »
    Went to see Thrones! The Game of Thrones musical comedy - if you're a fan of the show you'd love this. Guest appearances by Harry Potter and even Jimmy Saville, great laugh.
    Funny you mentioned this, I'm heading over to work with these guys for the final two weeks of the Fringe. They also have an improvised show called Baby Wants Candy which is just special.

Might post a few updates when I'm in the throes of seeing shows but I like the sound of that Irish girl's show about illegal aliens.

As mentioned above, Foil Arms and Hog are fantastic. I've lost track of the amount of times I've seen them and they've never disappointed.

The only tickets I have booked going over are Katherine Ryan, Bridget Christie and Aisling Bea because they're selling out.

I've heard good things about Marcus Brigstocke's show this year.

I saw some Edinburgh previews in Ireland for Sofie Hagen, Glenn Wool and Steve Bennett and can recommend them all if you like comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Had a disaster yesterday, booked Katherine Ryan tickets and when I went to pick them up, they got "lost" in the system.
    Chose that over the Thrones Musical, will just have to see both this weekend I guess!

Will catch Foil, Arms and Hog too, they're repeatedly recommended over the last few days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Favourite show so far is Moby Alpha, it's a wonderfully daft mashup of Moby Dick with Red Dwarf, via basically every space-faring scifi classic in popular culture. The approach reminded me a bit of the Reduced Shakespeare Company in a good way.

• Advertisement

Caught David O'Doherty last night and he was in fine form, well worth a watch.

Going to C U In Court tonight with work colleagues. Free at the Three Sisters, it's a guy who started a t-shirt with CNUT on it and got sued by FCUK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Martha McBrier has a great storytelling-standup show at the Finnegan's Wake venue for Free Fringe.

Going to Katherine Ryan tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gmanprofit

Will be heading to the 2016 Fringe (of course)... ;)
    Anyone need a roomy? Will be staying from the 1st until the 15th.

Gearóid Aldridge (The Rooster) on Facebook

Add me as a friend & drop me a PM :)

Advertisement