Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 year old smells!

Options
  • 07-08-2015 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all, as the title says, my 16 year old son often smells of body odour. He plays a lot of sports and refuses to shower after practice, often going a day or two before he will. I have tried reasoning with him, bribing him, shouting at him, I even chased him around the house one day to get his clothes off (this was done in jest, he was laughing) but seriously...it can get quite bad. He says he doesnt care so why should I? He says his friends dont care either...

But I have found lately that I am saying directly to him...' Son, have a shower, you smell. You smell bad'. I feel bad saying this and I can envisage years of therapy on his part (my mam ridiculed me and so on....) but what else can I do? Any suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭gerarda

It will all change when girl's start knocking at the door looking for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TizTaly2015

The thing is Gerarda, they already do!! This is what boggles my mind.....maybe they dont care!!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭gerarda

His first girl friend will care!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's a stage. Some of my mates at 16 absolutely stank and you couldn't sit near them it was so bad, but come 17 they all washed more regularly.

None of them shave properly yet and they're all in their 30's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bribe one of his female mates to say it to him, preferably one he has a soft spot for.

He doesn't care that you're saying it because you're his Ma. You need to find someone whose opinion on hygiene matters to him. Harsh but true :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 TizTaly2015

This ^^ I like!!!

Advertisement