Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you plan on buying a 4k TV?

Options
  • 07-08-2015 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

I bought a lovely 1080p TV for the release of the ps4 so probably won't get a 4k TV until the PS5.

At the earliest I'd say 2018. Just not enough support right now, plus by then they'll have improved even more and gone way down in price.

What about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The current gen struggle with 1080 for 90% of games so I dont even think the PS5 or XBtwo will be 4K.
    I've a hulking 42 inch Philips ambilight from 2009 and there is nothing wrong with it. Wont be changing for a long while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Not for another few years at least. The content to justify a new purchase isn't there right now. When it becomes widely available on satellite I will consider it. My 42" 1080p Sony Bravia will do me perfectly for now.

Not for a while. My brother has a 4k TV, picture quality is amazing but there's feck all to watch in 4k yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'd be amazed if I even considered buying a new TV before 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I went 720p when the 360 launched and didn't get a 1080p TV until 2012. I won't be going 4k until home consoles can run games at 4k natively and that will be about 10 years away at least as the current consoles can just about muster 1080p at playable framerates, well the PS4 can anyway. And not like the PS3 that was 1080p capable from launch but most games ran at 720p.

Buying a 4k TV now is like buying a 200mph sports car in this country, no point as you can't use it to it's potential.

As for movies they are fine in 1080p, I'm not big into TV shows or movies so I would not buy a new TV just to watch them in 4k, it's all about the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Yeah I'd be with most of you. Broadcasters will have to start airing in 4k especially for sport and blu rays with 4k will have to be the norm.

In terms of gaming I honestly think Sony will stick with the PS4 until the right time to support 4k is there. Whether that's 6 years, 8 years or 10 years.

Pc gaming is currently a mess when it comes to 4k. But thankfully they will be responsible for eventually pushing the tech. The improvements have plataued somewhat and it's why I think it'll be at least 6 years before you can support 4k 60fps gameplay in a 400 euro box. Wouldn't be surprised if it's actually 8.

But at least by then streaming, TV, and movies will all be fully supporting 4k. A 70" top quality 4k TV will probably cost less than 1000$ by 2020 because by then they'll be pushing curved 8k TV'S.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KevinMunster12

That is available only to BT TV customers in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I was in the market for a new TV a month or two ago and a Samsung 4K one dropped half price to 650 in Argos - i very nearly pulled the trigger but then reasoned with myself that there was no 4K content other than the very odd YT video and Netflix (which I don't subscribe to!) so no point for me at the moment...

Glad I didn't get it, the reviews suggested that there was ghosting on a lot of native 1080p content - was one of the earlier 4K TVs, I ended up with a Samsung UH6400 LED 400hz TV, its an amazing set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

lertsnim wrote: »
    That is available only to BT TV customers in the UK.

There are ways around all that you know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Polly Sonic

There's no way to receive geoblocked content through your Sky/UPC box as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

When someone buys one for me.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

There's no way to receive geoblocked content through your Sky/UPC box as far as I'm aware.

Did I mention a Sky or UPC service box ?

There are ways around it as I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

When it benefits PS4 gaming. Sony went full retard and didn't add in 4k to the console...hellooo Sony. .future proofing??

I do wonder how a ps4 gsme looks on a 4k tv though seeing as it's being upscaled..anyone any idea?

My tv is the 42" Sony w6..Won gaming tv of 2013 with its almost non existent lag input. How would a 4ktv do in a lag input test?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

MarkY91 wrote: »
    When it benefits PS4 gaming. Sony went full retard and didn't add in 4k to the console...hellooo Sony. .future proofing??
    Given how much it costs to get 4k 60fps on a PC they would have priced themselves out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Evade wrote: »
    Given how much it costs to get 4k 60fps on a PC they would have priced themselves out of the market.

Yeah I guess you're right!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

4K is a long way off from being usefull in this country. For starters satellite only does 1080i/720p.

Broadband is still completely pants in this country outside of towns & cities with most of rural/semi-rural Ireland still on 56k up to 8meg. Proper Fiber will need to be available everywhere, not just the towns and cities before 4K IPTV can become achievable in this country.

Not to mention much higher download caps. You should see how much bandwidth 4k streaming from Netflix takes up even with compression. A couple of TB per month should cover it.

Even with games, if 1080p console games are filling a bluray disc already a game with 4k native textures will take up an awful lot more, possible about 120GB. So that's bigger digital game downloads unless developers get compressing and games are properly extracted to harddrives like on PCs. Again new discs like high density bluray and or more compression for native 4k content. Internal hard drives will have to go up to about 10-15TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

I bought a Samsung 8 series 4K tv in march, watched some downloaded 4K footage of PC games in action on it which didn't look anything special compared to watching 4K film clips and movies (courtesy of the 4K film pack from Samsung) which looked incredible. Ps4 1080p games look respectable on it considering they are being upscaled to 4K by the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Fieldog wrote: »
    I was in the market for a new TV a month or two ago and a Samsung 4K one dropped half price to 650 in Argos - i very nearly pulled the trigger but then reasoned with myself that there was no 4K content other than the very odd YT video and Netflix (which I don't subscribe to!) so no point for me at the moment...

Glad I didn't get it, the reviews suggested that there was ghosting on a lot of native 1080p content - was one of the earlier 4K TVs, I ended up with a Samsung UH6400 LED 400hz TV, its an amazing set.

The 6400 is a fantastic tv, I bought one for my son, superb picture on it.

• Advertisement

Really? How do you get a channel that is available only to BT TV customers on their broadband network? It is not on satellite.

I am curious how you would be able to manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

When they're not still silly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

A new steam survey shows only 34% of PC gamers play games in 1080p or above.

Makes me wonder how long it will take for pc to really push games to 4k as standard.

Could be a very long gen because the PS5 will have to support 4k.

PS3 gen lasted 8 years so don't expect the PS5 before 2021! I just hope 4k is easy peasy by then.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    PS3 gen lasted 8 years so don't expect the PS5 before 2021! I just hope 4k is easy peasy by then.

PS2 was 2000, PS3 launched 2006 and PS4 in 2013. Going by that PS5 launch in 2020 at the latest.

Technology in graphics cards stagnated in recent years and has only now started moving again so we can expect big jumps form here on.

This generation of consoles will age faster than the generation 7s technology wise imo. With DirectX 12 out in the wild and native DirectX 12 chipsets start to become mainstream 4k will become more attainable and affordable quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You do realise what you'll be receiving would be a compressed stream and not at 4k?

Advertisement