Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I know if the kitten and cat are getting on?

• 07-08-2015 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

We have a foster kitten staying with us, and currently the cat (16mths) and the kitten (10 weeks) are racing around the apartment. I'm keeping the interaction periods to 30 minutes each session, just in case its stressing the cat out as she wasn't the most confident animal in the cattery.

There isn't any hissing (apart from when kitten decided to inspect the cat's bed and her favourite mouse toy), but they are chasing each other, back and forth - it looks like a game, not bullying, but I'm still being cautious. The kitten isn't making any sounds, the cat is making squeaks - sometimes it seems like she is saying 'Follow me', but I'm not convinced.

When they are sitting down, the cats tail is straight out in a line behind her. The kitten is walking around with his tail in the air, with a slight question mark.

(This is much harder than when I was a child, and just had farm cats - now I feel like I need a psychology degree to raise a cat)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds like they get on grand; just give your older cat a few higher spots to get to as a way to get away from the kitten in case they get to annoyed. If they did not get along your cat would hiss and run away from the kitten instead of engaging with it. As it's still a youngster it's actually having fun with it's new toy while teaching your foster cat how to behave around other cats. The only caution to giving them more time together is that at 10 weeks old your kitten may have so much fun they forget where the toilet is (or if it's in another room it's simply to far away) and end up doing it's business were you don't expect it; beyond that you can increase the time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

They spent most of the evening racing around, and when kitten got tired, he retired to his bed, and when cat got tired, she retired to her high spot. She just came out of her litter box (separate places!) and when he wasn't visible, she started calling for him. When she ran into the courtyard and he stopped at the door, she seemed to be calling him to say "Follow me" or "Its safe". They touched noses a couple of times too, so I think it's going well.

We closed the kitten up in his safe space overnight just in case, and she spent the night with us. It meant she got uninterrupted patting attention and snuggles for two hours this morning as well.

Advertisement