Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to build first college/gaming PC

Options
  • 07-08-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

OK I'm in the market for my first college/gaming PC and having looked at all the major retailers for a pre-built one, I have yet to find one that is actually worth what they are charging. I will be going a lot of college work once the new term starts, mostly assignments, essays, research as well as a dissertation so I need a computer that I can depend on and won't crap out on me. As for the gaming aspect, I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means and usually just play simulation games like Cities: Skylines and Rollercoaster Tycoon with a good few mods for both.

Ideally I'd like a computer that will last a long time that is capable of running games like those mentioned above that won't break the bank! This will be my first build so I'm looking for advise as to what I should get!

Thanks in advance for all your help guys!

1. What is your budget? [Hoping for around €500 but can go more]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [College/Gaming/Internet] (Games: Cities Skylines, Rollercoaster Tycoon with mods)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [NO]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [Don't mind]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Unsure]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser/Cash]

9. When are you purchasing? [Within the next month or so]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [NO]

If you know anywhere that sells good pre-builds, please suggest those too! Thanks again everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are you building or buying then? You'd get a better machine if you built, €500 isnt very much to buy one with.

Currys and Dabs are probably best for pre-builts, don't know about value. TerrorFirmer has a few machines on Adverts either, I think he has a 660Ti based built for €550 or so, it'd be good value.

If you're on Adverts for a full build, take a good look at it as a lot of people will try to scalp you for "Quad Core Gaming PC @€;800" and its a POS

Ignored the thread title, sorry.

Pentium G3220 €50
    H81M board €50
    Case €50
    8gb RAM €50
    2tb HDD €80
    300w PSU €30
    120gb SSD €65
    Total €400 we'll say, its a little lower

Should be able to get a second hand 1080p monitor for €100, or a new 720p

Windows 7 is €20 from Reddit, then upgrade to W10 immediately.

You mightn't need 8gb RAM

Any questions, ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alzo5831

Ignored the thread title, sorry.

Pentium G3220 €50
    H81M board €50
    Case €50
    8gb RAM €50
    2tb HDD €80
    300w PSU €30
    120gb SSD €65
    Total €400 we'll say, its a little lower

Should be able to get a second hand 1080p monitor for €100, or a new 720p

Windows 7 is €20 from Reddit, then upgrade to W10 immediately.

You mightn't need 8gb RAM

Any questions, ask away.

Thanks! Any idea where I can get the stuff for around the prices you've mentioned?

One of the EU Amazon's, caseking, mind factory or alternate de. Mindfactory.de is normally good value but charge shipping twice if you buy a case from them.

If you go with a German retailer, use geizhals.de to knock a few euro off

Do you want manufacturers or do you know what you're after?

Advertisement