Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restaurants using wooden chopping boards as plates

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

rubadub wrote: »
    I know cooked rice is safe to eat right away but if you then leave it out it will be toxic.

Can become toxic under certain conditions. Not will be. All rice does not suddenly become poisonous the second it cools down, as millions of sushi and sashimi lovers the world over can attest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Can become toxic under certain conditions. Not will be. All rice does not suddenly become poisonous the second it cools down, as millions of sushi and sashimi lovers the world over can attest.

aaaaannd that's where we leave the food safety advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Dial Hard wrote: »

It's the re-heating that does it, look up Bacillus cereus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ahem!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

This drives me nuts. The food safety aspect is one thing, but the pretentiousness of the whole thing is annoying too. I was served a rice pudding on a slate in Madrid last year. It looked absolutely rotten and was quite difficult to eat, but a bowl obviously isn't a cool enough way to serve things!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Piglet85 wrote: »
    This drives me nuts. The food safety aspect is one thing, but the pretentiousness of the whole thing is annoying too. I was served a rice pudding on a slate in Madrid last year. It looked absolutely rotten and was quite difficult to eat, but a bowl obviously isn't a cool enough way to serve things!

You can do well presented without being pretentious, I'd agree.

I was in lovely restaurant earlier in the year in Yorkshire and they were using the blue and white cornishware. The rice pudding came out with a lovely crispy skin and a big dollop of homemade jam in one of these.....

12417951_th.jpg

......felt like I was 8 years old back in my Nana's :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Well at least if they bring your food out on a slate you get to ask......

Is this on the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Vegan Butcher !!!! the ultimate oxymoron ???? :pac::pac:

11052372_1582783998655207_5824852850601263970_n.jpg?oh=1d159953c05becad40081d39842c006b&oe=564E3AB4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Vegan Butcher !!!! the ultimate oxymoron ???? :pac::pac:

11052372_1582783998655207_5824852850601263970_n.jpg?oh=1d159953c05becad40081d39842c006b&oe=564E3AB4

I do think the name backfires somewhat in an attempt to be "edgy" but from what I hear the food is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I do think the name backfires somewhat in an attempt to be "edgy" but from what I hear the food is amazing.

I'd know my fair share of sensitive vegans and haven't heard any complaints of the name but have heard people talk of the name and anything that gets people talking is a good thing I guess :)

Great place and shows the kind of tastes and textures that can be achieved without the need for animal products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Oooops flippin gravy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I thought the slate for the steak on a stone was actually functional though, that the slate is hot and cooks the meat to your taste as you eat it? I dunno, I've never actually tried it!

I hate being given food on anything flat, be it a chopping board, slate, whatever. Food just goes everywhere ... or maybe I'm just a messy eater. :o

I've been in a restaurant with friends when one of them has ordered the steak on a hot stone. It worked quite well for her, as she's very fussy about her steak - she eats it practically mooing, just whacked for a couple of seconds on the heat on each side. The hot stone suited her perfectly, as she could control the time herself. A couple of other people in the party were against the idea, saying that they didn't want to pay to cook their own dinner...

I agree with you on the flat plates, boards etc. Plates have a lip on them for a reason. Those narrow boards they serve burgers and chips on really annoy me, as everything ends up on the table!

You can! I did it earlier this week.
    are you implying it is in someway a bad thing to do? if so why?
    They can split

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

katydid wrote: »
    They can split

two wooden chopping boards then :rolleyes:

two wooden chopping boards then :rolleyes:
    Whatever chance you'd have of keeping your burger and chips on a normal size one, God help you trying to keep it on a half one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Food on a board is fine as long as no sauce is involved. If sauce is involved, WTF are they thinking?

Advertisement