Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to search for houses.

Options
  • 07-08-2015 8:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been on the lookout for a family home in Galway for the last while.
    I'm searching on daft and myhome.......but so far have not found anything that we truly like.

3 questions:

1. Are the above 2 websites the main places for house searching in Ireland / The West or are there other websites or even printed stuff I'm missing out on.

2. Do estate agents keep certain houses off websites and you have to actually ring them to be informed. (Stupid q by me maybe but just wondering)

3. Is there any such thing as a company that provides a relocation service e.g. I want a 3 bedroomed house in a nice area near schools with good broadband etc. and they go off and find suitable houses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm frequently told EAs keep houses off Myhome, I can't for the life of me think why, unless the vendor has specifically requested it and is willing to take a lower price for less hassle.

It's worth build a relationship with local EAs but other than that not much you can do. I'm sure there are 'personal shoppers' not sure what they'd add to be honest unless is a €1m+ mansion you're after with very specific requirements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I'm frequently told EAs keep houses off Myhome, I can't for the life of me think why, unless the vendor has specifically requested it and is willing to take a lower price for less hassle.

It's worth build a relationship with local EAs but other than that not much you can do. I'm sure there are 'personal shoppers' not sure what they'd add to be honest unless is a €1m+ mansion you're after with very specific requirements.

Thanks Mark. Yeah I thought my question was stupid but you have heard of this before. Seems weird.

But yeah. Sounds like the best way forward is to build up a rekationship with an estate agent........and this probably involves meeting them in person as opposed to a phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Myhome.ie is the main site in the country, therefore it costs more. I think it's a question of vendors not being willing to pay the extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

When my last house was sold, we had to pay €200 to the estate agent for myhome ad, some people may not want to pay this so definitely check out local estate agents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

cassid wrote: »
    When my last house was sold, we had to pay €200 to the estate agent for myhome ad, some people may not want to pay this so definitely check out local estate agents.

Thanks. As in their website or just call them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hi

I have been on the lookout for a family home in Galway for the last while.
    I'm searching on daft and myhome.......but so far have not found anything that we truly like.

3 questions:

1. Are the above 2 websites the main places for house searching in Ireland / The West or are there other websites or even printed stuff I'm missing out on.

2. Do estate agents keep certain houses off websites and you have to actually ring them to be informed. (Stupid q by me maybe but just wondering)

3. Is there any such thing as a company that provides a relocation service e.g. I want a 3 bedroomed house in a nice area near schools with good broadband etc. and they go off and find suitable houses.

Try the Galway Advertiser, too.

Yes. There is one Galway company (I can't remember which one) that even advertises that they offer discreet sales: no signs outside, no ads. And as a blow-in there are probably houses you won't even get told about if you talk to them.

I don't know of any relocation companies, but again I would not expect them to advertise to the general public. Are you moving to a job? Perhaps your recruiter or company know of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The house my sister bought was never advertised. The vendors wanted a low-profile, quick sale to a young family* at a fair price.

* Pre-Equal Status Act.

Advertisement