Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N00b seeks games recommendations

• 07-08-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭

Literally just set up my gaming PC.
    I haven't had one in 5 or 6 years.
    Where do I start!

I need some good recommendations for cheapo Steam games, cheapo being the word.

I like, racing sims, FPS shooters etc.

Looked up GTAV and I'm not paying 59.99 for it as I've already beaten it on Xbox. Oh yeah any game recommendations have to be online multiplayers!
    Where to start...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Borderlands
    Red Orchestra 2
    Arma 2/3
    Day Z
    Left 4 Dead 2

Only FPS's? You're missing out on a lot there

Use www.isthereanydeal.com to find cheapest stores for the game and set up sale alerts.

There's also an FPS bundle on bundlestars.com right now but I don't know what's online or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

CS:GO for your FPS multiplayer fix would be a good start anyway.

Planetside 2 might be worth a shot too since it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

For cheap, wait for Steam sales or specials. Check out Humble Bundle as they'll often have bundles of games that can be picked up very cheap indeed, keep an eye on it for something you want, the humble store is also pretty decent when there's sales on. Green Man Gaming is also a great site, well trusted around these parts and have some great offers. Currently, the Metro Redux Bundle is €7.99, and you can get an additional 23% off with this code: SAVE23-WITHGM-GAUG15

The Metro games are incredible, and for that price it definitely qualifies as cheapo! ;)

It's also a good idea to ask folks here before buying something, we'll often be able to guide you towards good deals and tell you if you'll be able to get a game cheaper or not.

Edit: Metro is more of a single player game, mind you. For online multiplayer, Payday 2 is terrific and regularly goes for sale pretty cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wow, thanks guys. Making notes here, I can't wait to finish work! Just had a look on YouTube there and Arma and CS:go look like great craic. I appreciate the tips. Any idea on racing sims? I'll have a decent wheel this time next week. I was massively massively into half life, team fortress, unreal tournament back in the day.... You see this is why we are master race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There's a forum here for racing Sims, you might get better recommations there. Project Cars is the first that comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Fallout 3 - Mod the sh!t out of it. Great RPG and not a bad FPS.

So many great cheap games out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Literally just set up my gaming PC.
    I haven't had one in 5 or 6 years.
    Where do I start!

I need some good recommendations for cheapo Steam games, cheapo being the word.

I like, racing sims, FPS shooters etc.

Looked up GTAV and I'm not paying 59.99 for it as I've already beaten it on Xbox. Oh yeah any game recommendations have to be online multiplayers!
    Where to start...

Good call OP.

FPS:

Crysis 2
    Metro 2033
    Alien Isolation
    Half Life: Black mesa
    Dying Light
    Dishonered
    Deus Ex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wolfenstein: New Order is another good recent shooter. Single player only

As some have also said,Arma is a fantastic series. Imo anyway,2 and 3 are definitely worth having. As your newly back to PC DayZ would be new to you so you should check that out. The mod not the game that is.

Titanfall is also a very good online shooter. More akin to COD than Battlefield but different enough from both to make it a very good shooter in its own right. Probably pretty cheap at this stage aswell.

Heroes and Generals is WW2 shooter,decent multiplayer and worth a shot as its free.

People have already mentioned CS:GO so ill add Insurgency. Very good tactical shooter that doesnt hold your hand but can be very satisfying once you get to grips with it. I especially love how the guns handle in this game.

As digtal said theres a racing forum on boards,probably your best bet to get the best info. Assetto Corsa would be one to look at,and as also mentioned Project Cars. But my knowledge of that genre wouldnt be great in fairness

Thats about all i can think of for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Battlefield 4 is a excellent online FPS not cheap though but totally worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Battlefield 3 is still just as popular and as pretty, €15 on Origin atm

• Advertisement

Update on this, I haven't had a chance to set up my PC until yesterday so just opened my Steam account, downloading CS:GO and ARMA3 as we speak :D

Be prepared to get absolutely ruined in CS:GO for the first while. Well worth sticking with though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Update on this, I haven't had a chance to set up my PC until yesterday so just opened my Steam account, downloading CS:GO and ARMA3 as we speak :D

Like the previous poster, expect to die, a lot.

Be prepared to get absolutely ruined in CS:GO for the first while. Well worth sticking with though.

Jesus Christ. I knew I'd be bad but this...

I'm that bastard on COD who goes 30-1 on death match....I'm being SLAUGHTERED in this...I'm not even sure what I'm doing wrong. It's like people always know where I am all of the time. The spawns are ridiculous...spawning and being killed literally a second later.

I don't know about this.

I'm that bastard on COD who goes 30-1 on death match....I'm being SLAUGHTERED in this...I'm not even sure what I'm doing wrong. It's like people always know where I am all of the time. The spawns are ridiculous...spawning and being killed literally a second later.

I don't know about this.

Which COD game is this? BO2, AW?

I don't know about this.

What game mode are you playing? In CS, there generally shouldn't be anyone near you when you spawn, as both teams spawn at the same time on opposite sides of the map.

'Game sense' as they call it is a huge part of CS. People do know where you are all the time because right now you're probably in all the obvious places. Getting to know how and when to move in CS, where to be, and where your enemy will be is hugely important, but it takes time.

Stick with it and it can be tremendously rewarding.

I would add that every time you die you should ask yourself "what did I do wrong there?"

You have time before the next round starts to think about what you did wrong and how you can avoid it next time. It's easy to say "His aim was better than mine", for example, but you can't just aim better next round. So instead you should say, "Right, his aim is better than mine, what can I do differently next time to take that advantage away from him?"

When I see people get annoyed or call someone a hacker etc. all I can think is "You'll never improve". ;)

It's not that he is bad at playing it is just that he is a n00b at the game. When I first started playing Battlefield 4 I was dying a lot as well but you get better upgrades as you progress and also learn the maps. It is a learning curve and also you need the upgrades to help you.

It's not that he is bad at playing it is just that he is a n00b at the game. When I first started playing Battlefield 4 I was dying a lot as well but you get better upgrades as you progress and also learn the maps. It is a learning curve and also you need the upgrades to help you.

There are no upgrades in CS:GO. ;)

There are no upgrades in CS:GO. ;)

Just read through the last few posts here and he was actually talking about CS:GO, when I read his post about 30:1 in COD I thought it was COD he was playing.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads I'm at work I don't have time to go into detailed posts! Last night I was murdered a lot in CS:GO and spot on Maximus I was trying to figure out how I died each time but I've been spoiled by years of COD where when you die you see how you died, is CS I'm just sitting there thinking someone just shot me from a mile away with an AK with one shot.. It's driving me mental.

Honestly that only lasts a while. Before long you'll be mediocre, and you can have fun being mediocre.

Then the trek to vaguely decent might take a little longer :D

Just had a quick blast there and I was picked off at very very long range by some lad with a shotgun... I really don't understand the physics of this game.

It's mostly demolition I'm playing by the way!

Ah yeah demolition is a bit faster paced than the classic game so that makes sense. The maps are smaller and more open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have always been afraid to start playing this even though I own it as my lack of skill would be quickly highlighted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

I always found other FPS games dumbed down,full of crutches and easy after playing CS as my introductory game into FPS genre since year 2000.
    Sometimes I would dab into Quake or Unreal Tournament, and I would be reminded that I'm not the god of FPS at all :D I've yet to hit a positive KD in those games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

www.epicbundle.com lists all the bundles and deals you could ever wish for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a thriving market of Free To Play games:

Military MMOs:
    World of Tanks
    World of Warships
    War Thunder

or FPS
    Team Fortress 2
    Warframe

being the bigger ones. They'll only cost you the download to at least try them out.

If WoT looks of interest, I've an invite code to give a free premium tank for that one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057453841

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dylannolan72

Recommend picking up your games on steam alternatives like G2A, Onlinekeystore or instant gaming.

thats where i usually get my games, and very cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement