Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many concrete blocks do I need?

Options
  • 07-08-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey everyone

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with getting a quantity of building materials for a 3 wall, cavity extension.

The dimensions for the extension are 30ft long x 15ft wide x 8ft high

Please forget about including space for windows and doors for the moment.
    Can anyone estimate for us the quantity of 9'' blocks we would need?

Can anyone give me a price range on cost of 9'' blocks? I'm looking online and I'm seeing everything from .35c to .85c I understand that the more you buy the bigger the discount.

Also if possible how could you give a ballpark figure of the cost of an A frame roof with tiles.

We are total new to this but would appreciate the help

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Don't build with 9inch block unless your structural engineer certifies there use and your going for Ewi IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HQ2011

What size block would you recommend? What is a standard size?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Use standard 4" solid blocks.

Expect to pay approx 450-600euro per 1000blocks, not including VAT. Think VAT on blocks is 13.5%.

Block size is 440mm x 215mm plus 10mm mortar joint makes one block 450mm x 225mm = 0.1015m2.

So if you have 1m2 of wall this need 10Nr blocks. Because it will be a cavity wall with inner and outer leaf blockwork you will have to double this.

So change your 30ft x 8ft into meters, this is say 9m x 2.4m = 21.6m2

This will need 216Nr blocks for this section of wall, then double it for the 2nr leafs = 432Nr blocks.

Do this for the 3 other sides of your extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HQ2011

I really appreciate the info! Thank you very much! :)
    delfagio wrote: »
    Use standard 4" solid blocks.

Expect to pay approx 450-600euro per 1000blocks, not including VAT. Think VAT on blocks is 13.5%.

Block size is 440mm x 215mm plus 10mm mortar joint makes one block 450mm x 225mm = 0.1015m2.

So if you have 1m2 of wall this need 10Nr blocks. Because it will be a cavity wall with inner and outer leaf blockwork you will have to double this.

So change your 30ft x 8ft into meters, this is say 9m x 2.4m = 21.6m2

This will need 216Nr blocks for this section of wall, then double it for the 2nr leafs = 432Nr blocks.

Do this for the 3 other sides of your extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

HQ2011 wrote: »
    What size block would you recommend? What is a standard size?

Your engineer will have to guide you in this instance. And considering it's not an extension but a new house you are building, there's a lot more ahead of you :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057474362

• Advertisement
Advertisement