Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no media centre in Windows 10

• 07-08-2015 8:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

It appears that Microsoft have given up their ambitions of controlling the living room and removed windows media centre from windows 10. This worked fine with a DVB-T dongle on Windows 7 on the same laptop.
    I am now trying VLC and I have had some success.
    I can find some channels off this list
    http://www.dvb-t-portal.de/Regionen/index.php?region=38
    but how do I find the other channels in VLC at for example 698MHZ.
    There are supposed to be four channels here at 698MHZ and I can see them on my settop box but not my dongle in VLC.

Also, much as I love VLC for what it is can anyone recommend another more user friendly windows 10 compatible DVB-T receiver application.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

This has been discussed over on Ten Forums and the best free alternative seems to be NextPVR

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to HTTPC and Media Centre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Moved forum? I would have thought I'd get an answer about VLC frequency range settings quicker over in the terrestrial tv sub-forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yeah and for whatever reason it didn't work. I'll leave it here if you like, for some reason I thought you were looking for substitute software for Media Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... I would have thought I'd get an answer about VLC frequency range settings quicker over in the terrestrial tv sub-forum.

What are the signal parameters you need to set?

• Advertisement

For instance NextPVR shows the following channels
    Freq:698000 SID:34
    Freq:698000 SID:65
    Freq:698000 SID:225
    Freq:698000 SID:262

In NextPVR I get audio but no video and can't seem to find out how to assign a video codec to use.
    It appears the mpeg2 codec from microsoft has only been hobbled to work in microsoft applications.
    Irish people probably haven't noticed this as saorsat isn't mpeg2.
    The windows DVD player in 10 BTW forces you to watch all the adverts in a DVD before going to the main menu.

In VLC I get audio and video but only see 698000 SID:225 and I can't figure out how to get the other channels at 34, 65 or 262.

The same for Freq 768000 and 474000; I get the first channel and can't switch to the other three on the same frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

In NextPVR I get audio but no video and can't seem to find out how to assign a video codec to use.
    It appears the mpeg2 codec from microsoft has only been hobbled to work in microsoft applications.

Yeah, that's mentioned in a thread here on the NextPVR support forum, for Windows 8 anyway, presumably from then on. You'd need to get another decoder.

It's not something I'd be able to give much useful advice on myself, once you get past the actual tuning parameters. (Frequency, bandwidth etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Moved forum? I would have thought I'd get an answer about VLC frequency range settings quicker over in the terrestrial tv sub-forum.

You can set up a range of shortcuts for VLC as discussed here

Basically it is a few lines like

RTE one
    "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=738000000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :program=1101

RTE 2
    "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=738000000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :program=1102

etc

The important part is the one I have bolded. This changes throughout the country depending on your local mux frequencies.

Tell me where you are and I will give you the frequencies. There will be two frequencies blocks as one contains RTE1, UTV, RTE1+1 and the other has RTE2, Tv3, 3E and Tg4. (you have already given one 639 which should be placed where the 738 is above)

(as an aside I have recently moved to Potplayer. https://potplayer.daum.net/ - it is so much better than vlc for anything I have used it for)

I'm working off the Koenigsstuhl transmitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'm working off the Koenigsstuhl transmitter.

You are based in Germany ? This brings a new dimension to the terrestrial forum on boards.ie !

Anyway same idea.

There are three multiplexes ?
    channel 21 (474 MHz) for the ZDF transponder
    Channel 49 (698 MHz) and 60 (786 MHz) for ARD/SWR transponders.

I do not have the PMID's ( the end of the VLC line :program=1102) so that you could set up a playlist like I was talking about above as I do not live in Heidelberg.

• Advertisement

genau!

Thanks. I'm now able to find all channels on all frequencies. I'll look at creating favourites for the channel list now.

Advertisement