Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hexa core cost question.

Options
  • 07-08-2015 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Just looking at a new I7 Build and trying to decide 4th or 5th gen. The slowest chip on each option are about 100e apart so im thinking that's not too bad. But am I looking a lot more for Mem and Board, if I go 5th gen Hexa core? Will I need a more beefy PSU also?

Any help appreciated.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is this for the editing build? You probably won't need a larger PSU, maybe jump 50w to be safe but it's likely not necessary.

Don't know about board prices but I'm fairly sure you need DDR4 which is a good bit more expensive than DDR3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Is this for the editing build?

well I've had a change of plans. I'm gonna build a system for editing and for storage.. 6 he's and a good gfx card. So I'm thinking I'll need a 750w psu for it.

Depends on the card. A GTX 970 will run a hexacore with 6 or 8 HDDs on a 650w, maybe 700w to be safe.

Like the i7 4790ks TDP is 88w, even if the Skylake hexacore was twice that it'd be 176w, a 970 pulls about 300w under load, so say 350w for overheads. Nothing else pulls very much at all, 8 HDDs will pull about 150w if they're all reading/writing at the same time (about 25 each) and SSD is negligible in a build, same with RAM.

Those HDD numbers may be off that's just what a quick Google told me

Conclusion

750w sounds about right to me

Advertisement