Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General PL Matchday Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Cazorla misses peno for Arsenal at West Brom (slipped 84')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Anyone getting worried that Leicester City could finish in the top 4? :p

I think the likes of Spurs Pool and Chelsea will be hoping that someone puts a stop to their run, We (United) have them next week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Similar to Southampton last season, they will fade after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

3-0 Leicester and Carzola misses a pen for the Arse.

astradave wrote: »
    I think the likes of Spurs Pool and Chelsea will be hoping that someone puts a stop to their run, We (United) have them next week

Really good evening game that will be next week. Should be a cracker

• Advertisement

I'd expect Moysie will end up at Newcastle soon.

2-1 WBA FT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Leicester, much like other teams we've been beaten by, figuring out that it only takes a bit of extra running to beat us.

Credit to them. Deserve everything they've gotten so far this season. Not the flashiest team or players but their work ethic will get them far.

Considering they were bottom this time last year, it's some turn around.

As for Newcastle. Fúcking shower of shít.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Leicester, much like other teams we've been beaten by, figuring out that it only takes a bit of extra running to beat us.

Credit to them. Deserve everything they've gotten so far this season. Not the flashiest team or players but their work ethic will get them far.

Considering they were bottom this time last year, it's some turn around.

As for Newcastle. Fúcking shower of shít.

I really hope they go down,can't stand the club.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    I really hope they go down,can't stand the club.

Try supporting them pal. ;)

• Advertisement

Try supporting them pal. ;)

I still get shivers thinking of the Moyes year in charge and I can't imagine it even comes anywhere near close to the range of feelings you must go through being a Geordie. How long do you think Steve has left ? I'm thinking he'll get till Xmas and then Moyes or Brentan to take over,if there's been no change.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    I still get shivers thinking of the Moyes year in charge and I can't imagine it even comes anywhere near close to the range of feelings you must go through being a Geordie. How long do you think Steve has left ? I'm thinking he'll get till Xmas and then Moyes or Brentan to take over,if there's been no change.

I have no idea. Ashley stuck with Pardew for a long long time despite the absolute dross we were playing under him. But with Ashley, he might get another 8 years or 8 days. You just never know.

I think it's clear that he has not gotten anything out of the players and whatever he's trying to do with the team is not working or even fathomable when watching the games.

The whole structure of the club has changed in terms of voices in the boardroom.

Ashley has stepped aside (or so he says) to take up a sole role of being owner and he really has given free reign to McClaren to identify targets with Graham Carr who, as a once lauded chief scout, has been culpable for bringing in some absolutely horrendous signings over the last 3 seasons.

There were obviously murmurings in the crowd and I can't recall such a mass exodus of supporters leaving so early during a game... Well, one that wasn't planned anyway.

With Palace, Liverpool and Spurs up next, it could be the death knell for McClaren if he doesn't manage to get anything from these games.

Personally, they are 3 very tough games but if we continue to get turned over on a regular basis without a notion of fight, I'll not bat an eyelid if McClaren was let go.

As for Rodgers/Moyes, neither would touch us. We'd more likely get Tim Sherwood in and the mess starts all over again.

Horrible club right now and far from the one I used to get excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

They really remind me of Sunderland under Peter Reid back in 1999/2000 (those were the days!). A couple of players in unbelievable form carrying what is an otherwise limited team. Vardy and Mahrez are doing it for Leicester now, it was the Phillips/Quinn partnership for Sunderland back then.

That Sunderland side were 2 points off the top with a game in hand after 17 games coming into the Christmas period which really was an astonishing thing, but from Boxing Day onwards went on a torrid run of games and results for about 3 months. Everton (A), United (H), Wimbledon (A), Arsenal (A), Leeds (H), Newcastle (H), Coventry (A), Derby (H), Leicester (A), Liverpool (A) and Boro (H) resulted in a grand total of 0 wins and 3 or 4 points while all the usual suspects at the top piled on the points. Sunderland eventually pulled it around in March and had a good end to the season and finished 7th.

Now I don't think Leicester will go as long as that without a win at any stage this season but I do see lots of similarities between the sides. Leicester have United (H), Swansea (A), Chelsea (H), Everton (A), Liverpool (A), City (H), Bournemouth (H), Spurs (A), Villa (A), Stoke (H), Liverpool (H), City (A), Arsenal (A) which brings them to the end of February. I think they'll drop dramatically over that period before recovering in March and finishing the season well, resulting in a similar finish to the one Sunderland had back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The Hammers looking shambolic at the back this afternoon. Spurs are 2-0 up and nearly bagged a third just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am a fan of Harry Kane, but that hit at goal was one of the worst I have seen. At least he had scored earlier, as that was embarrassing.

West Ham all over the place defensively. They remind me of us last night.
    :(

Really liking Spurs this season.

Playing like a top 4 team.

The comeback is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

It wont happen. They've done well but one injury and they'll fold. Likewise, every year there is a team doing surprisingly well who then drop off to a more natural position. They are a nice change though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

There is something very punchable about Kyle Walker.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    There us something very punchable about Kyle Walker.

Have to say he's a great right-back, quite like to see him at United tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

SlickRic wrote: »
    There us something very punchable about Kyle Walker.

Started his career on loan at Northampton so he's not all bad. Gave his all in a nondescript team, lot of loanees don't bother their hole.

Yann M'Vila is exceptional. Far, far too good for Sunderland.

Bad bad game. North East teams are poison to watch this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Paully D wrote: »
    Yann M'Vila is exceptional. Far, far too good for Sunderland.

They have needed a player like him for years, composure, creativity and class on the ball.

He won't be hanging around for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

He's jer-main man!

On the one hand:

Bollocks to Sunderland scoring given the perilous position we find ourselves in this season.

On the other hand:

CUhu5j2WoAQmNQE.jpg

Joking aside, what is Pardew's record against Sunderland? He just can't beat them it seems.

We've actually beaten a team that's not Newcastle. :eek:

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    We've actually beaten a team that's not Newcastle. :eek:

It was a poor game but that formation could be key to Sunderland's survival but needs the personnel to stay intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Might not have been the most entertaining game, but I think poor is doing the Sunderland gameplan a disservice,

Anyone who watches much of Sunderland knew it was going to be a 5-3-2 with the 3 CB's, O'Shea was never going to be playing LB in a 4-4-2 as Sky had it.

Palace had most of the possession and territory, but Sunderland had the better chances. They handled Palace well and left themselves in a position to bring on the fresh bodies and hope to get the goal on the break when Palace committed more for the win.

It might have had a slice of luck, but nothing less than the performance deserved. A massive 3pts for Sunderland.

It was a poor game but that formation could be key to Sunderland's survival but needs the personnel to stay intact.

Defoe looks like he'll be gone for a while anyway. It can never be straightforward for us. We have Stoke and Watford at home over the next few weeks before a horrific festive period. I think we need 4 points minimum from those all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Some drama in Bournemouth. Thought Kammy was going to collapse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

paulie21 wrote: »
    Some drama in Bournemouth. Thought Kammy was going to collapse

He was literally speechless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

That was a peach of a free kick from Zarate.

Good save by Cech.

So much rubbish on the pitch - not referring to the players :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

When Pellegrini loses his job a massive factor will be his complete inability, despite being given time and money, to adequately set up his team off the ball, they're a complete mess at the turnover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

2-0 Stoke after 14 minutes :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats a bloody great goal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Everything falling into place for Leicester

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

When Pellegrini loses his job a massive factor will be his complete inability, despite being given time and money, to adequately set up his team off the ball, they're a complete mess at the turnover.

Rinse and repeat. Fernando shocking, defenders not tracking runs inside, City dreadful when they lose the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Wide open title race this year

2-0 Stoke. Get in. Arnautovic again,assisted by Shaqiri again.

City's centre backs, without a proper number 9 to mark, are entirely perplexed in their positioning, the second goal a perfect example. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson from the Liverpool game.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

We are finding out here what City are made of on a wet and windy day in Stoke

Its the perfect storm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

What an odd league, Pellegrini can no longer motivate this group of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Think how stronger the teams that will finish 7th to 17th from next season when they get the new TV money to bolster there squads if this season is anything to go by.

So nearly 3-0

• Advertisement
Advertisement