Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United/Tottenham Hotspur, August 8th 2015

• 07-08-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

1st game of the 2015/16 season

cq5dam.thumbnail.200.200.pngcq5dam.thumbnail.200.200.png

Date: 8th August

Kick off: 12:45 BST

Venue: Old Trafford

Possible starting XI:
    Johnstone
    ----Darmian---Smalling---Blind----Shaw

Herrera
    Carrick---Schneiderlin

Mata
    Memphis

Rooney

Team news:
    David de Gea will NOT play due to his transfer saga with Real Madrid.
    Daley Blind seems confirmed to be playing CB.
    Marcos Rojo and Bastian Schweinsteiger are not match fit yet.

Match Appointments
    Referee: Jonathan Moss Assistants: J Brooks, E Smart Fourth Official: A Marriner

Can't find anything on Spurs, maybe someone else can find the information, and add it to this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wooohoooo cant wait for new season gonna be watching this here in madrid :)

3-0 to united and 2 goals from Memphis and one from Rooney. Not a bit over optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

3-2

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I would say United to win 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Depay to score a hat trick before half time and transfer to Madrid in the intervening 15 minutes before the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Dour scoreless draw. Utd to have ~70% of possesion but do nothing with it. Rooney continues he lacklustre pre-season form with no first touch and little impact.

Spurs to look the more inventive but with a few new players lack the cohesion to get the breakthrough.

Van Gaal will then put Felani on to try to ram it home. Then give a press conference after the game saying the process is working and he is happy with how we played.

Utd fans will blame the ref

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Dour scoreless draw. Utd to have ~70% of possesion but do nothing with it. Rooney continues he lacklustre pre-season form with no first touch and little impact.

Spurs to look the more inventive but with a few new players lack the cohesion to get the breakthrough.

Van Gaal will then put Felani on to try to ram it home. Then give a press conference after the game saying the process is working and he is happy with how we played.

50 quid on whether he'll put Fellaini on or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

5-2 to United,kick off the season in style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

3-1 United.

Our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

4-2 United a bit of a mad game to start off the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

“It was Tottenham at home. I thought please don’t go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we’ll ****ing do them. He came in and said: ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’, and that was it. Brilliant.”

saying that we'll lose 2-0 :pac: ...love the quote though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Leroy42 wrote: »

Loving the positivity :pac:

As with last year's first game, I shall be slumming it in the 30°C Canaries with cold beer on tap. Just don't do another fcuking Swansea lads, I like to maintain a positive holiday mood...

Crap kit watch: Barca knockoffs everywhere. Most common PL shirt is for some reason Arsenal. Only saw one United shirt and it was a hideous Nike knockoff with the Chevrolet logo about 50% bigger than the original. I would have bought one for the young lad if it wasn't so horrific.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Its back, football is back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Can't find anything on Spurs, maybe someone else can find the information, and add it to this.

You're kidding, right? Either that or just plain lazy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Liam O wrote: »
    50 quid on whether he'll put Fellaini on or not?

Thats a solid bet, people should be all over it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

irishmover wrote: »
    You're kidding, right? Either that or just plain lazy.

There ya go! Lloris has a late fitness test and some lad called Wimmer may start over Alderweireld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is the sound well ahead of the picture on BT Sport 1 for anybody else?

• Schniederlan 18/1 to score first...not sure if spelt correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

@DTguardian: #MUFC team v #THFC: Romero, Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Carrick, Young, Depay, Mata, Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

coin wrote: »
    @DTguardian: #MUFC team v #THFC: Romero, Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Carrick, Young, Depay, Mata, Rooney

Same formation as pre season then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

@ManUtd: #mufc subs: Johnstone, Valencia, McNair, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Pereira, Chicharito.

• Advertisement

the slash in the title of this thread is really annoying me! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Where is De Gea?

Where is De Gea?

Not mentally fit to play acc to LVG. "He's human"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Where is De Gea?
    Keep up mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blind at CB and Romero in goal is just not the way the team should be lining out at the start of the season. No Herrera either is disappointing although predictable.

Looking forward to seeing the new signings in a competitive game.

The one huge plus is Darmain starting ahead of Valencia.

I have to say I'm trusting Van Gaal less and less with his team selections. I'd be amazed if Utd manage to keep a clean sheet.

Can't wait for the reception Schweinsteiger will get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What Blind doing at CB? Injuries already?

CL4XYmvUsAAl2Vc.jpg

Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Pereira, Chicharito

Not bad list of subs to call on, hopefully we won't need to though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

adox wrote: »
    Blind at CB and Romero in goal is just not the way the team should be lining out at the start of the season. No Herrera either is disappointing although predictable.

Looking forward to seeing the new signings in a competitive game.

The one huge plus is Darmain starting ahead of Valencia.

I have to say I'm trusting Van Gaal less and less with his team selections. I'd be amazed if Utd manage to keep a clean sheet.

Herrera really being f*kd around. Our best middle of the park player on bench again

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Herrera really being f*kd around. Our best middle of the park player on bench again
    Again? It's the first game of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is Jones injured or McNair ahead of him on the bench by choice ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

As a Liverpool fan, I think both Liverpool and United missed a serious trick in not signing Alderweireld. Top drawer European centre back with buckets of experience, and for a steal at 11.5m. Liverpool still unconvincing for me in CB cover, and I think United even less so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I'm more excited to see possibly the best centre mid of the last 10 years on the planet **** me we will see Schweini playing for us at OT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Same as last season. Short memory?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not at all confident after seeing that Spurs team. Expect Utd to own the midfield, and we'll be pressed back for the entire game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

OT looks great in the sunshine. Well stoked and excited the football is back would love to transport myself over for the game today...

As for the team selection....

Blind at CB worries me and although I've seen little of Romero I'm not all that confident from what I have seen. Also a keeper coming into a side straight away in a new foreign league having had zero time as such to bed in and get to know his defenders is a bit of a worry also, although I do hope these worries are unfounded and I'm proven wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I dont get the united fans bitching about Blind and also bitching about no Herrera. Schneiderlin and Carrick should make our midfield more secure and give Blind protection. Herrera is more attack minded than M&M and would leave Blind exposed. This is actually a smart move by Van Gaal to try and stop defence being exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Evans and Jones surely aren't both injured again? Evans must be out the door so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Looking forward to seeing Schweinsteiger, also hoping Hernandez comes on but I doubt it'll happen unless there's an injury to Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

coin wrote: »
    @ManUtd: #mufc subs: Johnstone, Valencia, McNair, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Pereira, Chicharito.

:D

• Advertisement

Paul Merson thinks we won't make the top 4 :D

No room for Evans, Jones, Fellaini and Lingard in the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Is everyone forgetting that Fellaini got a red card on the last day of the season and will miss the 1st 3 games thanks to it ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Trilla wrote: »

Fellaini is banned, also add Januzaj and Wilson to your list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Trilla wrote: »

Fellaini suspended after that stupid tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is everyone forgetting that Fellaini got a red card on the last day of the season and will miss the 1st 3 games thanks to it ? ;)

Take your logic and get out. The season has begun, so let the unbridled hate flow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Christ, I thought we'd never get to this day. Proper football is back.

Not overly concerned about Romero starting. Between him, Johnstone and Valdez they have, what, two PL appearances. Whoever was picked would have question marks over them.

Blind at CB is the bigger worry for me. Not having Jones, Evans or Rojo available for the first game is hardly a positive sign for things to come.

Can see United having another slow start to the season. 2-1 Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Dont like Blind at center back. Kane will terrorise him (if spurs can get the ball to him )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Drexel wrote: »
    Dont like Blind at center back. Kane will terrorise him (if spurs can get the ball to him )

You could be right, but I wouldn't be so sure. Blind reads the game very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Well said,Utd have four quailty CM's who will all see plenty of game time this season,you would swear that this staring team today is set in stone for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

3-1 to united .

• Advertisement
Advertisement