Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United/Tottenham Hotspur, August 8th 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not a fan of all this "Memphis" stuff, regardless of what he has written on his shirt.

ok "Diego"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Darmians been great, gonna be a gem.

This bollox about Memphis is tedious, him and his old man have problems, pretty clear no?

Hoping for a early goal second half, we haven't played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

All convention is bad because I'm supportive of same sex marriage. Nice argument.

No, it's just that if you have an attotude of live and let live and are a fairly liberal person, calling somebody by their first name instead of their last, if they feel strongly about it, should probably come easily to you. It's a non-issue. He doesn't identify with his surname. Act like it never existed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Actually, they're really not. Commentators gave no background. He's consistently referred to as Depay by pundits and newspapers. I've no knowledge of the background of it.

So if you don't know anything about it what are you complaining about?

"Oh I'm not a fan of this, I don't stiffly know what "this" is but no, not a fan"

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Carrick is different class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Spurs were looking good for the first 20,then the goal seems to have really thrown them off the game plan,Kane and Eriksen have seen very little of the ball since.

Been impressed with Darmian,very comfortable on the ball,

There were times there when Utd had the ball at the back and were trying to be clever and pass it around sometimes you would just wish the keeper would put the boot through the ball and get up the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I came here to say I'm very, very pleased with Darmian. But I see everyone else has that covered. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

rebeve wrote: »
    Darmian is sensational and Schneiderlin is not far behind . Utd in total control since the goal . Another top class center forward and this team will be

very hard to beat .

Darmian has been very very good but Schneiderlin has been a mixed bag.

Utd are more than one CF away from a serious title challenge IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Paully D wrote: »
    It should be called Webb Cam.

what is webb watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Actually, they're really not. Commentators gave no background. He's consistently referred to as Depay by pundits and newspapers. I've no knowledge of the background of it.

Short version is he had a tough childhood and an absent father. He then decided to go by his first name Memphis as a fresh start to be his own person. I don't see any problem with that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Grid. wrote: »
    Did Rooney get the assist for that??:P

Apparently yes, yes he did!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

So if you don't know anything about it what are you complaining about?

"Oh I'm not a fan of this, I don't stiffly know what "this" is but no, not a fan"

:confused::confused:

I'm not a fan of commentators giving no explanation.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Short version is he had a tough childhood and an absent father. He then decided to go by his first name Memphis as a fresh start to be his own person. I don't see any problem with that at all.

First I've heard of it, but clearly that's reasonable. Thanks for the explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Carrick and Darmian the highlights of the half. Darmian looks like he has been playing in the team for years, nevermind making his debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

All convention is bad because I'm supportive of same sex marriage. Nice argument.

You are the person who used 'convention' as his entire argument.

The poster correctly pointed out that something being convention has nothing to say about whether or not something is correct, and pointed out that your avatar confirms this fact patently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

double GG wrote: »
    Rooney having a poor game so far.

His movement has been shocking but his passing and control has been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Convention is clearly to call players by their surname. He's consistently been referred to as Depay for the past few years.

Yet "convention" isn't an issue for you with other players...

Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=neymar&forum=&user=108410&date_from=&date_to=

Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=ronaldo&forum=&user=108410%2C108410&date_from=&date_to=

Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Júnior
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=oscar&forum=151&user=108410%2C108410%2C108410&date_from=&date_to=

And I'm sure countless other examples if I could be bothered to look any harder. Why dont you have an issue calling those players by their first names? And why is it any different with Memphis?

Edit: Same point already made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Spurs bench looks very weak - don't see anyone there who you could rely on to turn a game.

I'm not a fan of commentators giving no explanation.

It's on the back of his shirt. It's on the team sheet. If anything the commentators would be going off piste not to call him Memphis.

Who gives a stuff about his name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Spurs first team looks very weak, kane looks like only one who gives a toss even if he's not had a good game. Others look very flaky

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=neymar&forum=&user=108410&date_from=&date_to=

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=ronaldo&forum=&user=108410%2C108410&date_from=&date_to=

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=oscar&forum=151&user=108410%2C108410%2C108410&date_from=&date_to=

And I'm sure countless other examples if I could be bothered to look any harder. Why dont you have an issue calling those players by their first names? And why is it any different with Memphis?

No issue with what he calls himself. Some background to it would be nice - which I now have thanks to Adamocovic being helpful enough to explain.

I've always heard the above called by their common names. This match is the first time I've heard Depay being called Memphis. It's a bit different.

Trilla wrote: »
    what is webb watch?

Howard Webb stuck in a truck with a screen and reviewing ref decisions when the game is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

adox wrote: »
    Howard Webb stuck in a truck with a screen and reviewing ref decisions when the game is on.

Bit like Townsends tactics truck ?

BroGg56CAAEiKzM.png

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Who gives a stuff about his name!

Exactly, back on topic folks.

Hope LVG gets the hairdryer out and they keep the tempo up like the second half of the first half. Haven't created enough.

Needs more Herrera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Two mediocre teams on show today. Nothing for Chelsea to worry about judging by what's gone on so far.

Mixed bag first half, Spurs looked dominant for first 15 mins until goal then united took charge, went a bit quieter towards the end.

Hopefully a good second half, if united score first I can't see Spurs getting back in. But as it stands it's really anyone's to win.

Hope LVG gets the hairdryer out and they keep the tempo up like the second half of the first half. Haven't created enough.

Needs more Herrera.

First game of the season, plenty of players making their debut, one up at half time, after dominating for most of the last half hour, and you reckon the best course of action would be for him to scream himself blue at the team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Korat wrote: »
    Two mediocre teams on show today. Nothing for Chelsea to worry about judging by what's gone on so far.

Yup 100 percent agree, I mean it's clearly not a case of 1st game of the season ams everyone being off pace or two teams adapting to new players on the starting 11....

First game of the season, plenty of players making their debut, one up at half time, after dominating for most of the last half hour, and you reckon the best course of action would be for him to scream himself blue at the team?

For the first 15 minutes United were not at it at all - that's not good enough for me. If we hadn't got a lucky break with the goal the situation might have continued.

I didn't actually mean he should lash into them, but he need to tell them to keep up the energy and tempo and look a bit sharper/hungrier imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lovely little skill from Memphis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Walkin' like Memphis!

The Cheeky Devil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Schweinsteiger warming up! Who's he coming in for?

• Bring on z German

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Schweinsteiger is warming up.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Talk about an overreaction all round. I'd imagine the issue is because Memphis seemed to always be called Depay until today, at least for those of us who don't watch United in pre-season.
    Even Dutch commentators call him Depay; hardly totally unreasonable to think that suddenly hearing him be Memphis constantly seems a bit strange.

Edit: Apologies. Mod note appeared while I was typing.

Darmian <3

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If United had four Darmian's to play, we would have a great defense.

Could play 1-8-1 or 1-6-3 now with Darmian at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Can't fupping wait to see Schweinsteiger playing for United in the Premier League :)

elefant wrote: »
    Talk about an overreaction all round. I'd imagine the issue is because Memphis seemed to always be called Depay until today, at least for those of us who don't watch United in pre-season.
    Even Dutch commentators call him Depay; hardly totally unreasonable to think that suddenly hearing him be Memphis constantly seems a bit strange.

As Mickeroo said above, let's let it go and get back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I hold my breath every time the ball is passed back to Romero!

Would like to see more from the forward players.

United could win this game without a shot on target with the way it's going.

walker and young battle has been the most interesting positional battle...wasn't expecting that haha

• Smalling playing well again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nicely claimed by Romero.. very good anticipation

Good hands from Romero. Phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You can see why Van Gaal likes Romero, his distribution is very similar to de Gea.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Love that we have Schweinsteiger to bring on, gone are the days of Cleverley and Anderson...

• Advertisement
Advertisement