Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United/Tottenham Hotspur, August 8th 2015

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Spurs better, united muck, italiano shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 I should coco!

Terrible game, looking forward to some goals from the 3 o'clock kick offs. Not much between the teams and think there might only be a position or two between them come the end of season.

I wouldn't be judging any side on the first game of the season.

Not much of a call saying a 'position or two' between them come the end of the season. They finished 4th and 5th last season. Spurs will be up there somewhere. All depends on United and if they can improve on 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Spurs bench is particularly bad if they are ever looking for options to change a game off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Can count ourselves lucky here getting all 3 points which paints over a few cracks.

Utd always start slow so I wasn't expecting us to play free flowing attacking ball. Romero really needs do chill the funk out, he has no pressure and everything to gain with a calm assertive performance. Give him time to gel in and he'll be adequate cover for DDG.

Villa next should be 6 points from 6 just hope sherwood doesn't park the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I wouldn't be judging any side on the first game of the season.

Not much of a call saying a 'position or two' between them come the end of the season. They finished 4th and 5th last season. Spurs will be up there somewhere. All depends on United and if they can improve on 4th.

I'm not judging from this game. The best United can hope for is 4th unless they make a big signing or two, with Spurs probably coming 6th imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

So errmm is this supposed to be the united side to win the league? Didn't look like it. Scraped a win and really in the end would have been lucky if it was a draw.

United of old would have hammered this piss poor spurs side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Tony V was very poor when he came on . Could have cost us big time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm not judging from this game. The best United can hope for is 4th unless they make a big signing or two, with Spurs probably coming 6th imo.

I'd say United can hope for higher. Unless Arsenals 5 pt gap last season over an injury ridden, new manager United is completely unassailable. I doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

irishmover wrote: »
    So errmm is this supposed to be the united side to win the league? Didn't look like it. Scraped a win and really in the end would have been lucky if it was a draw.

United of old would have hammered this piss poor spurs side.

I'm not so sure. Utd of old just won games even when they played poor. Spurs aren't a bad side in fairness.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. Utd of old just won games even when they played poor. Spurs aren't a bad side in fairness.

You should take a look at the record between united and spurs.

There was no spark in that united side to indicate they would be there or thereabouts the end of the season.

That Spurs side is poor, simple as. We have a **** right back (hopefully replaced by Trippier soon) a poor left back and a rubbish/uncreative midfield/attack. It should have been a stroll in the park for united.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There was no spark in that united side to indicate they would be there or thereabouts the end of the season.

That's why I'm glad all 38 games aren't being played today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Rooney muck
    Sneiderlin looked out of his depth

Darnian looked awesome
    Keeper made some good saves
    Smalling had some shaky moments but overall played well as did young.

I honestly don't see any major improvements in this team after lvg spending another ridiculous amount during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Spurs are better than given credit for. Their fitness levels are very high and will create lot of problems for other teams.

That's why I'm glad all 38 games aren't being played today.

If LVG turns that side into a title winning side this season he's a better manager than Alex Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If LVG turns that side into a title winning side this season he's a better manager than Alex Ferguson.

If Ferguson was manager with the exact same squad United would probably be favourites to win the league.

Also, window = open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wasn't much of a performance from either side. United probably happy enough to take 3 points at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You should take a look at the record between united and spurs.

That Spurs side is poor, simple as. We have a **** right back (hopefully replaced by Trippier soon) a poor left back and a rubbish/uncreative midfield/attack. It should have been a stroll in the park for united.

It basically was a stroll in the park for United. United were comfortably better than Spurs, pretty much all game. Perfectly good performance for start of the season and 5 new players in the side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

My assessment of the game today is that we need attackers, I'm not confident that Rooney will score the goals needed. I am beginning to think this team wont require a world class defender or goal keeper if de gea leaves, unlike a fergie team we are very compact and very hard to score against, fergie teams were very gung ho and left a lot of space at the back, this team is going to be very hard to break down and beat, it will probably perform better against the good teams. I don't think pedro is going to be enough upfront we need someone like bale, if you just put bale or Ronaldo into this this team will could be champions

If Ferguson was manager with the exact same squad United would probably be favourites to win the league.

Also, window = open.

Thanked because its nice to know that united fans still understand the only reason they won so many titles was because of Alex Ferguson. Today would have been a hammering if Ferguson was in charge.

Mates used to always say that united didn't need Ferguson to win, atleast you're a united fan with a brain.

Sand wrote: »
    It basically was a stroll in the park for United. United were comfortably better than Spurs, pretty much all game. Perfectly good performance for start of the season and 5 new players in the side.

1 shot on target and an own goal. Stroll in the park.. Right..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It basically was a stroll in the park for United. United were comfortably better than Spurs, pretty much all game.

Spurs were on top until the own goal. Seemed to let the head drop after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

If Spurs had played the last 25 mins the way they played the last 5 mins then they could have won the match.

1 shot on target and an own goal. Stroll in the park.. Right..

Yep, stroll in the park. United never got out of second gear and were still comfortably better than Spurs. At 1-0 I would have liked United to get a second, but I never felt like they needed a second goal. Spurs never looked like a threat and never looked like getting back into the game. That's a stroll in the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Yep, stroll in the park. United never got out of second gear and were still comfortably better than Spurs. At 1-0 I would have liked United to get a second, but I never felt like they needed a second goal. Spurs never looked like a threat and never looked like getting back into the game. That's a stroll in the park.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

United had to work there arses of to win that game. We created **** all, at times had to defend for decent periods of pressure, relied on an own goal and had to rely on some last gasp defending and some good Romero saves. That isn't a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A stroll in the park is winning games comfortably by 3 goals or more, not relying on an own goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

I'd hate to see what kinda parks you do be walking in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

So can we all agree it was a scrappy first game by 2 poor sides that gives zero analysis towards form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm not sure how we relied on an OG to win that match. We created the best chance in the game and in a desperate attempt to get back, Walker put it into his own net.

It wasn't some flukey thing.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    United had to work there arses of to win that game. We created **** all, at times had to defend for decent periods of pressure, relied on an own goal and had to rely on some last gasp defending and some good Romero saves. That isn't a walk in the park.

Come on - it was hardly wave after wave after wave of Spurs attacks carving United open at will. In the last 5-10 minutes Spurs huffed and puffed but Romero had to make 1 save, and it was fairly routine too.

Right.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    A stroll in the park is winning games comfortably by 3 goals or more, not relying on an own goal.

Carving open a team and dominating them to the point that they are beaten by three or more goals requires a lot more effort, discipline and intensity than is communicated by the phrase "stroll in the park".

Come on - it was hardly wave after wave after wave of Spurs attacks carving United open at will. In the last 5-10 minutes Spurs huffed and puffed but Romero had to make 1 save, and it was fairly routine too.

It wasn't wave after wave of attack. Nobody suggested it was.

You however suggest it was a walk in the park. It cleary wasn't, it was a hard earned victory and Spurs probably deserved a point.

It wasn't wave after wave of attack. Nobody suggested it was.

You however suggest it was a walk in the park. It cleary wasn't, it was a hard earned victory and Spurs probably deserved a point.

Spurs were never going to get a point from that game on the strength of their play. They could still be playing now and Spurs would still be losing.

Spurs were never going to get a point from that game on the strength of their play. They could still be playing now and Spurs would still be losing.

pure nonsense. They created the better chances then United and more of them, they could have been more clinical however. On the strength of their performance they probably deserved a point, in 90 minutes never mind playing until now. Jesus . :confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

pure nonsense. They created the better chances then United and more of them, they could have been more clinical however. On the strength of their performance they probably deserved a point, in 90 minutes never mind playing until now. Jesus . :confused::rolleyes:

They created the same number of chances. 9 shots each. United created the best one, and scored from it. Spurs created an equally good chance, and didn't score. United were comfortably on top for the rest of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Spurs were terrible, United slightly less terrible. Felt like switching off during it - horrible game to watch as a non United/Spurs fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I honestly don't see any major improvements in this team after lvg spending another ridiculous amount during the summer.

What ridiculous amount? United are out between 20-25 million on transfers this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

ShooterSF wrote: »
    What ridiculous amount? United are out between 20-25 million on transfers this summer.

This is from the guy who sets up pool vs united threads and fs off during the mayhem, don't give him the attention he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Alex Meier wrote: »
    If Spurs had played the last 25 mins the way they played the last 5 mins then they could have won the match.

If Hitler had the Avengers on his side during WWII he'd have won the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ShooterSF wrote: »

31 - Depay
    12 - Bastian
    14 - darnian
    24 - sneiderlin

Roughly 80 million

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Oranage2 wrote: »
    31 - Depay
    12 - Bastian
    14 - darnian
    24 - sneiderlin

Roughly 80 million

https://twitter.com/thijsslegers/status/596271689585008640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Keno wrote: »
    If Hitler had the Avengers on his side during WWII he'd have won the war.

But then would the allies of had Red Skull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The dutch keeper is being heavily tipped to join before window closes.. not sure about that one.

Advertisement