Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITERA 2016

Options
  • 07-08-2015 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

No point in beating around the bush. Its as clear cut an "A" goal as my first Iron Distance triathlon was back in 2011 :D ITERA Ireland will be 5 days of racing non stop for mixed teams of 4 over 600km on the Wild Atlantic Way. It represents a step up to the Adventure Racing World Series for Team #TriHarderAR and its just so cool that its coming to Ireland!

This year I plan to "put in a winter" so training kicks off in a few weeks. I'll potter about until then.

Some provisional races next year pencilled in to keep things interesting:

The Race - 24 hours... the one Oryx did in 2015
    Challenge Galway... on my roadie for fun
    Rogaine - 24 hours... prep for ITERA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Race Report: Beast of Ballyhoura 2015 AR Euro Series Final

Might need a cup of tea and a snack... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Sitting down with fresh coffee and some magic flapjacks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Brilliant report Mike. You really captured the hardship and the exhilaration. I'm envious of the way you remember everything so clearly though!!!

Oh and yay for the new log :D

An hour on the bike today to wake the body up again. 28kmh average into a constant SSW headwind to get some value from a short session. I was collecting my car so didn't get to turn around and enjoy the corresponding tailwind home. Despite it being a week later, my ass was still a bit sensative on the saddle. Enjoyable if it wasn't for that wind!
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/#activity/858629373

"The Race" is in March so from September I have a 6 month lead in. Plenty of time but it will need structure. Back to biking and running regularly with a paddle or two over the winter. Until then a week, this week, of short and simple each day, followed by 2 weeks of getting to the # of sessions weekly that I'll start lengthening out.

40 minutes on the erg today. Z2 effort. 9,808m or 2:02.7 pace. I went at the pace I did my last hour in Mid July. No chance I could hold that pace under a base heart rate cap for an hour but I'll get back there soon enough.

15 minutes stretching gluts, hips and hams. I've neglected flexibility and core for a long time but must bring it back as I start running again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice races picked Mike. Congrats on the Beast. :cool:

Is DCM still on or are you parking the sub 3 assault?

Thanks P. DCM is not on. If i can get a few long runs in I may head up and keep AKW company. Certainly no assault on sub3. That will only happen when I have the work done for it. On the to do list along with a sub3 erg marathon.

Short brick today. 45 minute turbo including 2x10min at 80% and 5min spin easy between. 6km very easy run afterward in 32 mins. Cool and breezy out there. The run can hardly be labelled as a brick run since it was nearly 10 mins by the time I got out the door. Legs felt wooden and stiff. The turbo reps were steady and still well within aerobic zone. I'm taking a base of 300w as I have no intention of doing a FTP test. No chance I'm at 300w but its a round number and I once held it for a full masochistic hour a long time ago.

The Tuesday night brick session was once a staple session that I progressed month on month. It will form part of the bones of the winter programme.

Will we call it now?

Happy to 'trot' around for a 3:30 with company...

AKW wrote: »
    Will we call it now?

Happy to 'trot' around for a 3:30 with company...

It's all going to end in tears :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Yeaeeeeee new log, new log, new log :) but most importantly an ITERA log :)

Brilliant race report Mike, so honest and in such detail, I was right back there. You did an excellent job of navigating and well done for digging yourself out of all those low points and ploughing on. Ye did a stellar job and ranked up there with the best teams, something to be super proud of and give you guys all the confidence in the world to take on ITERA :)

• Advertisement

The week hasn't panned out as I had planned but I'm not bothered. I'm giving it until September 1 to get "fit to train" and kick the AR eating habit :cool::rolleyes:

A couple of sessions today.

1. MTB. I was late meeting Kate as I have 2 sick girls at home and had a lot to do. I told her to head away if I wasn't there by 12. I got to Ardpatrick at about 12:10, transitioned to the bike and tore off. Lots of cars parked at the trail head center and a Gravity Enduro event on. I continued onto the trail anyway. Felt good to be up on the mountain again. I have been having the AR racing blues lately. I met a marshall getting out of a Jeep at the turnoff to the green loop. He said the technical loops were off limits but I should be good if I stayed on the main trails.

I pushed on spinning hard up climbs. As I approached the turnoff to the first tech loop I had a queue of Gravity riders to negotiate. Serious DH bikers on serious DH machines. I pressed on out of the trees onto an open section of the lower brown loop and its magnificant views. At the half way point of the loop I still had not caught Kate. Either she was burning rubber or had wondered off somewhere else. I met 8 Enduro riders here steadily spinning their way up to the high point of the brown loop. I fell in and chatted with one of them. The event is a series of Downhill stages. They travel steadily between each one then gun it down the descent for an accumulated DH time over the 4 stages.

I hung with them on hills and flats easily but as soon as the trail fell away they floated over them, swerving and jumping, at speed. This was fun for them. Me too, but I was on the edge just keeping up on my heavy hardtail. I could only imagine the speed they hit the actual stage descents :eek: I'd love to come up to these trails on dual suspension and give it some. I ran out of trail with 4km t go back to the trail head. I couldn't follow the Enduro guys onto the race descent and bombed down the fireroad instead. I got back to my car in under 90 mins and Kates car was still there. It was starting to rain so I headed off. 23.14km in 88mins for a good satisfying workout with 441m ascent :)

2. Erg. Later I hopped on the erg for 30 mins Z2 at 20 spm. 7,308m was a poor return. My HR just climbed quickly in the first 5 mins so I had to keep backing off. It was a good steady row, just rusty and heavy :(

Hmm over a week since an update, over a week since I've trained. Immune system down, bugs hit easily. After a 72hr race a few days off, sleep and multi vids are ideal. Not straight back to long work hours and pressure fuelled with caffeine and sugar on the hour :(

Anyway, a run this evening. Its been a while and it felt just like that. 8.25km laboured, dragging, lazy 159 cadence plod around suburbia and teh gang infested peoples park. Avg 4.57 pace. Half of the run was Z3-4 just because any bit of effort, wind or incline sucked. Gotta start somewhere. 20 minutes stretching, push ups, chin ups, sit ups and a plank afterwards. Moving again but body feels soft and heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Just spent last 2hrs reading your report from the Beast, fantastic report, thoroughly enjoyed it, well done!!!!

Cheers Trig and well done in the Lost Sheep

Been very quiet lately. Nursing an injury with physio and exercises. 40 mins of exercises a night. Brought in the erg last week. 4x30min Z2 sessions done. 7,223m to start. ****e. Then 7,313m, 7,328m and 7,343m. Small progressions each time but progress in progress eh

Bike is next, then I'll try a run. Mad to get back into it #motivated after following Jarryd Hayne aussie Rugby League star make the 53 man roster at the 49ers. NFL and Rugby Worl Cup starting next week. I foresee lots of turbo :) Slowly but surely I intend to put a winter in. Some messing around in mud coming up in a couple of weeks.

By the end of Sept I need to set some training benchmarks to aim for.

300 burpees today
    It hurt
    Tomorrow will hurt more
    That is all

Ouchers :eek: That sounds like something I never want to do :D

300 burpees today
    It hurt
    Tomorrow will hurt more
    That is all

Dislike dislike dislike

All in one go?

Never mind, it doesn't matter whether they were all in one go or dispersed throughout the day.

300 burpees: Respect but also :eek:

Did you do them?

Gibbo timed his visit today to miss a set! ;)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Dislike dislike dislike

All in one go?

Yep. 3 sets of 100. Ouch bloody ouch. It was one.at.a.time stuff. Horrible
    AKW wrote: »
    Did you do them?

Did you? Dry needling during the week was pleasure in comparison to the last set :(

Yep. 3 sets of 100. Ouch bloody ouch. It was one.at.a.time stuff. Horrible

Did you? Dry needling during the week was pleasure in comparison to the last set :(

Sounds like you'll be walking like I have for the past two days, wince wince wince and oh, the time it takes to get in and out of the car. Well done though, that's some going :)

AKW, I hope your answer is yes ;)

• Advertisement

I made a go of it. I was quite happy to DNF as I hate burpees!!

Another bum week. A half hour erg easy and a 1km swim setady as 400, 2x200, 2x100 in a short hotel pool. I felt ok after the row but cardiac drift after 10 minutes indicative of my current shape. The swim was shocking. I was breathing heavily after barely 20 minutes swimming. But then I have swam less this whole year than I'd generally swim in a month in previous years. Building it back up is going to be a long process.

I have set a dozen winter training benchmarks across 7 disciplines but the runs ones are largely dependant on the hip rehab :cool:

The log is still alive
    Just still injured :mad:

Did a few short ergs this week. A training benchmark to build base fitness is to complete a million metres by year end. 421,000m to go. Other benchmarks
    42.2km sub 3
    16km in an hour
    2km under 7mins

Swimming benchmarks
    Start swimming again!
    Swim twice a week
    3.8km under 70mins

Bike benchmarks
    Start training
    Build base fitness to 3hrs
    MTB nav practice

Run benchmarks
    Recover the hip
    Start Running
    Stephens day 10 mile. Jogging it injury free would be brill
    If Stephen's day goes to plan, tentative build into Marathon base

Other benchmarks
    Get out for a paddle and/or trek with the team

Keeping up with the other logs. Yiz are all flying

September 28 the day after the red moon

Swim group. Aim, survive the set. Went off 4th in lane 2 of 4 after a short warm up. The main set was 2x400, 2x300, 2×200 and the 6x100 practicing tumble turns. The tumble turns were rubbish but the main set was relatively comfortable. Roughly 1:42-1:44 pace throughout focusing on the catch. 2,600m longest swim in months.

Later dusted off the turbo. 50 mins including 3x10min at 240w. The effort probably 80-90%. It's been ages so this was a short but sweaty session. Heart rate avg 150 and max 168 an indicator that it was work.

Excellent you're back in the pool :D How's the hip? Are you still going to the Physio? Wanna do some MTB in Ballyhoura Sunday week?

September 30 the day of more deep tissue

My last session of PT. After pulling and dragging, yet more dry needling and elbow digging, he gave a nod. Strength still good, I have rather a lot of muscle weight for endurance running :rolleyes: Hip is in better shape. It responded well to his tests and although not 100%, I got a green light to start running. Yay :) A focus on warming up, stretching and S&C is a must for the winter though.

I didn't run today as the hip was still tender after the beating. Tender but looser. I hopped on the erg for an easy 40 mins Z2 instead. Felt quite good but it was stubbornly easy. 9,586m done. Just 404,387m to go!

@CM - would love to but depends on kids. I'll let you know

October 5th .. a new day

New because I went into work for a different company this morning
    New because I went for a run in the dark chilly rain this evening

Last week was a fail. I went for a very short test run on Thursday morning. No issues. Less than 4 minutes done and I go over on my right ankle. Not bad but enough to warrant a walk back home. Righly miffed. The very last thing I wanted was MORE days off. Thankfully I had a massive work project, Zoes birthday party and the Rugby to distract me.

Out this evening then for a trot around d'city. It was fairly miserable. Vertical rain can be enjoyable but my shoes were soaked through soon enough and it poured. I was also wary of all the wet fallen leaves. A dodgy ankle's nightmare conditions. 41 minutes was a little on the long side but got it done unscathed. Metrics irrelevant. It was slow and sluggish. Hip and ankle ok.

It has been a while since I logged anything for various reasons, matters of the body and mind. I thought I had come through a very annoying hip injury until a road accident. Me vs a car. I lost. I didn't press charges as a van had waived her across his path as I came up the left handside between curb and standstill traffic. Helmet and backpack did their job but the driver got some shock having someone suddenly land on her bonnet and roll off onto the road. Que Gardaí, Ambulance and Residents with cameras. Thankfully nothing serious damaged. The bike took a lick which I fixed. Annoyingly it seems to have set me back a few weeks with the hip again :mad:

So, no running.

Other life factors have played a part in my absence also. But here I am

Last week looked something like this

Mon (1): 30 mins easy row capped at 155hr, 7,157m shockingly bad
    Mon (2): 30 mins easy row followed by 30 mins turbo even worse
    Tue: 3x 2,000m row cap 173hr 3mins easy, 7:39.9 or 1.55.0/500 avg
    Wed: Swim 2,000m in the middle of a group set, struggling at 1:42 pace
    Thu: Nothing
    Fri: Nothing
    Sat: Nothing
    Sun (1): 40 mins harder row cap 173hr, 10,179m, 1.58.5/500 avg, ok
    Sun (2): 30 mins easy row cap 155hr, 7,365m, 2.02.1/500 avg, better

I had set a target of 40,000m on the erg and did 40,045m so that was ok
    I had set a target of getting to the pool and did that but it was awful
    I had set a target of an hour on the turbo and did that as 2 half hours
    I had set a target of a run and didn't do that

I have a little diary system I keep to rate my workouts, they range from -3 to +3 and the week can vary as much as -30 to +30. This week overall was -3. And since its the first week I have rated, its my best week to date.

This week the training goals are:
    • 40,000m on the erg. Its the minimum I have to do weekly to hit the million metres. 347,126m to go
    • 2 group swims
    • A run with a full warm up beforehand
    • 2 hours total on the bike be it turbo or road
    • A set of Calisthenics and/or a bit of Yoga

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sorry to hear about the accident. Good to hear that it was pretty minor. Onwards & upwards.....

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear that Mike, glad you're out the other side of it though, must have been frightening.

p.s. congrats on your new job, hope it's going well

Advertisement