Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Exhausts

• 08-08-2015 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Exhausts and all that jazz. Not that I have the time or funds to change my stock exhaust on my cb400 1994 I was just wondering what my options would be. It would just be a stuby/muffeler slip on type and not a full change, if that makes sense. For example would a cbr400 of vfr400 exhaust do the job? What are the important things to consider if changing an exhaust. Not having to adjust carbs is a bonus. It would not be for HP gains maybe just something that sounds a bit better ( although the stock one aint that bad )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Exhausts and all that jazz. Not that I have the time or funds to change my stock exhaust on my cb400 1994 I was just wondering what my options would be. It would just be a stuby/muffeler slip on type and not a full change, if that makes sense. For example would a cbr400 of vfr400 exhaust do the job? What are the important things to consider if changing an exhaust. Not having to adjust carbs is a bonus. It would not be for HP gains maybe just something that sounds a bit better ( although the stock one aint that bad )
    CBR400 should be very similar, although any time you change exhausts your jetting will change.
    Intake mods affect it more than exhaust but any change will make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

CJhaughey wrote: »
    CBR400 should be very similar, although any time you change exhausts your jetting will change.
    Intake mods affect it more than exhaust but any change will make a difference.

Does cutting the exhaust always mean having to weld the new one on or can it be just clamped on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ciderbaby

My brother had one - cracking bike. If you can get an end can thats the same diameter as yours then a slip-on can can be clamped. He ended up getting a link pipe made up and had a Micron end can off a bandit fitted. It caused a big flat spot in the mid range but a bit of messing with the jetting sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The thing with bike exhausts is that its easy to make more noise but genuine power increases usually happen high up in the rev range and bottom end may suffer.
    Exhausts need a certain amount of back pressure to make good torque at lower revs and free flowing ones mostly don't provide enough.
    They sound good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks lads. Ill leave well enough alone. If it aint broke dont fix it and all that:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement