Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time after drinking to feel better ?

• 08-08-2015 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

ill try to keep this as short as possible but in a nutshell ive had problems with drink since i was a teenager ive always drank too much.i lost a job over drinking embarresed myself etc for years but 3 yeas ago my father passed away and 2 years ago the family house was sold and i moved out i inherited a nice amount of money and this fueled my drinking habits further suddenly being able to afford drink all the time .in the last year in particular ive been suffering with terrible anxiety especially when i go out doors and the worst symptom is a unbalanced /dizzy sensation that never passes unless i have a few pints then i dont feel it anymore ive been to doctors had scans etc and physically they cant find any reason why its happenning but i have refused tablets for anxiety before because ive heard they can be very addictive etc .this has come to a point where i really struggle to function some days the thoughts of going back to work/college etc seem impossible because one day im not so bad another i can barely leave the house. since january of this year ive made several attempts to quit drinking for a month just to see if it passes and the drink is the cause but i always make it about 2 2 and a half week mark and thin ah i can have a few drinks then a binge kicks in and im back to square one until i start again ..basically has anyone had these symptoms when quitting after long term binge drinking how long does it take to feel normal again ?im assuming at this point it is a symptom of alcohol withdrawal .im going to try again starting from today but i no in 2 weeks or so ill get tempted again any advice ?sorry if the post is a bit all over the place just decided to see if anyone has had similar experiences!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

If you've been drinking since you were a teenager then it's going to take you more than a couple of weeks to feel exactly normal again.

I can't account for the dizzy spells but in my view it has to be your personal experience of withdrawal symptoms which could be different for everybody. That would explain why when you drink it goes away.

Your going to have to deal with it till it passes. The anxiety for you is that you think you won't be able stay off it and that will make it worse. You also feel you have some special affliction that's making it harder for you, which doesn't help you either.

The fact is when you drink your problem is your not just that your addicted to the drink but you ALSO very unhealthy at the same time. You've probably forgotten what being healthy is like in the first place.

I strongly recommend that you put yourself on a some kind of a fitness plan. Its fine giving up the drink but what do you do then? Just twiddle your thumbs waiting to see what's going to happen? If you idle you'll just give in some Friday night and binge drink again.

So you need to get fit badly. It will help you immensely to keep you of the drink. Just try to visualize being healthy and being able to go outdoors without getting dizzy. You know it's what you want and it's totally doable. Everyone can do it even tough it may seem impossible at the beginning.

You can start off doing just a light jog in the park every other day for as short or as long as you like. You won't believe how much of a benefit it will be to you when you start to feel the effects of being fit again. You'll realize how much being physically fit with help your mental issues as well, it's all related.

I promise you in a few months you look back to the day you wrote this post here and realize how much better off your are. Think of doing all this as putting in the foundation for the rest of your life because that's what it is effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I had 12 years of crippling anxiety. 10 years of that spent on Benzo's.

I gave up drink for a month about 3 years ago and the anxiety disappeared.

2 more years of yo yo'ing on and off drink before finally giving it up for good in March this year.

I'm 2 years off Benzo's and the anxiety is nothing but a distant and painful memory.

Giving up the sauce is the first step. It will certainly help your symptoms if not eliminate them. Once you feel better you can start trying to figure out why you rely so much on the drink.

You're at the beginning of a difficult but very worthwhile and exiting personal journey should you choose that path.

It's your future and it's in your hands.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Swanner wrote: »
    I had 12 years of crippling anxiety. 10 years of that spent on Benzo's.

I gave up drink for a month about 3 years ago and the anxiety disappeared.

2 more years of yo yo'ing on and off drink before finally giving it up for good in March this year.

I'm 2 years off Benzo's and the anxiety is nothing but a distant and painful memory.

Giving up the sauce is the first step. It will certainly help your symptoms if not eliminate them. Once you feel better you can start trying to figure out why you rely so much on the drink.

You're at the beginning of a difficult but very worthwhile and exiting personal journey should you choose that path.

It's your future and it's in your hands.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I'd have to agree,once I quit drinking the anxiety disappeared, I was stuck in a vicious cycle of drinking to get rid of anxiety which in turn was making it worse so back on the bottle again.it sounds to me like the dizziness is a symptom of the anxiety,hence when you have a drink it disappears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

How are you getting on OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

realies wrote: »
    How are you getting on OP ?

started back no drinking last thursday feeling positive about it again altho today has been a long day of dizzy spells couldent even go into the supermarket i got so panicked this is really the thing thats stopping me from staying off it like nothing seems to help i cant spend my days sitting in doors !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tbh if your withdrawals are affecting you with dizziness, you SHOULD stay indoors if you can. Make sure you're well stocked on food and movies and books and stay in til it eases.

Advertisement