Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange pixeliation Red Green static snow

• 08-08-2015 4:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

Ive had my TV for a while now and it looks great in hd. But i started to notice a few shadows of white pixels which would remain after the image had changed.

Now when there is no signal. I get red and green pixels flitting about the top left corner of the screen.

Ill be honest. I cant afford a replacement 42 inch HD tv right now. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem myself.?

2dgn96u.jpghttp://tinypic.com/r/2dgn96u/8

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

No sorry you can't fix a faulty screen on a TV. The whole panel screen would have to be replaced which is effectively a new TV anyway. Sorry but i's bad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Maybe I could of been clearer in my post. When i set the screen to white washdfc6t2.jpg no red or green pixels can be seen. And in the brief moment between changing inputs av1 to av2 for example the screen is perfectly clear and black only when it settles on a input source does the strange pixelisation occur.

I have read that ghost images are not uncommon and using the orbiter function on the tv will rotate every pixel in each direction will prevent burn ins from happening.

Is it possible a high power cable or something is causing interference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

What is that white line in the pic in you first pic?

The fact you don't see any error on the white screen is not really relevant. You could just think of it as your screen being partially *ucked but not completely *ucked. It will probably get worse over time.

If it's a LCD and I'm guessing it is then it's hardly burn it. So the orbiter function wont do much but try it anyway.

If it is interference something would have to be very very close to it to cause that so if you have anything near it go ahead and move it away and see if it goes. Unlikely.

Even if it's not the screen then it's the electronics and you'd never be able to replace motherboards without it costing you a bit and giving you a headache just to find out how to get it done in the first place. It wouldn't be worth it. I got my fairly good Samsung 42 inch for 390. Start saving.

The white line is a floating no signal bar as you can see its leaving white residue one the screen after it shifts position.

Ive just had the back off the tv and I can't find a single fault. Nothing burned or scorched. So this does indeed look like the beginning of the end for my beautiful tv.

The distortion is not yet noticeable while watching or using the tv. So I might get a few more months out of it.. perhaps even a year before it fails completely.

When I go to buy my next tv what would be the best choice? Plasma lcd or led. I'm thinking about longevity and screen clarity in particular. Im almost blind on my left side so i need sharp images and text or ill be wasting my time.

Thanks for the repky C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Does your TV not have LCD Conditioning in the settings ?. Have a look through the settings on your TV and see if the option is there. If it is a CRT (cathode ray tube) then have a look for demagnetise in the settings. Make sure there are no large speakers near the TV as magnets will cause distortion of colours if they are close.

What's the make and model of the TV, there might be a simple fix.

• Advertisement

Nothing like that in the settings. I've been through all the menus and nothing has had a positive effect.

It LG 42PC56 PLASMA TV HD COMPATIBLE from 2007 or 2008 I think. I could be wrong on the dates.

It has 2 HDMI 2 SCART 2 AV and 1 RBG input. The tv cost a little under 1000 euros at the time I bought it. It seems such a shame to scrap it after such a long service.

This is a HD image from my chromecast device. As you can see the picture is barely spoiled at all but there are some pixels creeping in that dont belong in the image.
    20m7nc.jpg

I had just given up on trying to fix it so if you want me to try anything I will give it a go.

I just found this video it looks exactly like the inside of my tv.

Can anyone tell me what he is doing and if i should attempt this myself. I don't want to wreck a partially working tv. The adjustment he makes is so minute that it looks like a con or trick of somekind.
    https://youtu.be/CkxpNpJZFyM

Vince32 wrote: »
    Nothing like that in the settings. I've been through all the menus and nothing has had a positive effect.

It LG 42PC56 PLASMA TV HD COMPATIBLE from 2007 or 2008 I think. I could be wrong on the dates.

It has 2 HDMI 2 SCART 2 AV and 1 RBG input. The tv cost a little under 1000 euros at the time I bought it. It seems such a shame to scrap it after such a long service.

Well according to this information below the plasma TV monitor can never be recharged or re-filled, the screen can be replaced though, It could be just a capacitor failing or some other electrical component.

Your best bet is to have a chat with someone in harvey normans or some other good electrical out-let and see what they say...
    Another great fiction about plasma TVs is that they need to be re-charged or re-filled to extend their lifetime. No one can re-charge or re-fill the gas in a plasma TV, nor can anyone fix a dead pixel on your plasma screen.
    In other words, you do not need a service contract to service your plasma TV annually; what most of the 3-year Television Service Plans advertised online do is to make the necessary arrangements for the repair of a faulty unit and pay the bill for you if the failure occurs within the 3-year period since your purchase subject to the terms of the extended warranty contract.
    This means that in the case of a plasma TV, the repairs will only apply to the electronics inside but not the plasma display panel since plasma panels can neither be repaired, nor recharged or refilled with gas. In the unlikely event of a faulty display, the display panel will have to be replaced, not repaired.

What about the video link I posted above? Is the vid a fake or is this something I should attempt?

• Advertisement

Vince32 wrote: »
    What about the video link I posted above? Is the vid a fake or is this something I should attempt?

Don't even think of putting your hands inside that TV unless you know what you are doing, make sure it is completely diconnected from the main power socket. I'll have a look at the video now.

I read the comments as well on that youtube fix. It seems that it partially works but you then get red dots. Don't try this yourself, I'd recommend that you leave it in to a professional and let them decide if it's worth fixing. It's hit and miss regarding that video.

Edit: If you do decide to do it just make sure all power is disconnected from the TV. I still say that you should leave it in to get fixed incase it's more of a problem than just tuning a cap.

Did you try that fix from the youtube video ? any luck ?.

No I found myself lacking in confidence and decided against it. I will wait for someone with better electric skills than myself to preform the task.

I can say this is the correct method to fix stray pixels clouding up the screen. But the range on the tiny dial can be adjusted to 140 degrees and the screen needs to be on to monitor how much better or worse you are making it.

Needless to say poking around in a tv with the power on requires a skill set most of us simply haven't aquired.

If I come across a friendly sparks who is willing to have a look for free I will post the results.

Advertisement