Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change Reverse Construction to IT

Options
  • 08-08-2015 5:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So to cut a long story short I finished college a few years ago pretty much when construction had fallen to its knees in Ireland, I had worked during the boom in construction.

I got frustrated with the industry and the uncertainty surrounding it and did a postgraduate in computers and worked in the IT sector for a while but did not like it.

Now I left IT and am working in the UK in construction. I get the sense people think I am a bit odd when they find out that I changed lanes career wise twice. But at the time construction was losing all the jobs and IT was gaining them.

How to put a positive spin on it? Some recruiters/interviewers tend to look for positives and others negatives.

I keep telling myself that IT is a useful skill to have and that computers are changing everything that we do etc but in reality I may have been in a better position now if I had left Ireland sooner to work in construction and be in a better position to come back as things pick up.

Cheers

Advertisement