Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starsan????

Options
  • 08-08-2015 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I purchased some starsan and a bottle rinser which i used for the first time. The mixture was very foamy and even after 45 mins on the bottle tree the bottles still had alot of bubbles inside. I know starsan is a non rinse sanitiser but i am just wandering about the excesive bubbles and if they will be detrimental to my brew.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Spike78 wrote: »
    I purchased some starsan and a bottle rinser which i used for the first time. The mixture was very foamy and even after 45 mins on the bottle tree the bottles still had alot of bubbles inside. I know starsan is a non rinse sanitiser but i am just wandering about the excesive bubbles and if they will be detrimental to my brew.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

What rate of dilution did you use ? 1.6ml per litre is what most use.

Starsan is a great one for foaming up. I wouldn't worry about racking be on top of the foam. Just shake out the excess and it will be fine assuming it was made up to the correct dosage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Spike78

Thank you for the reply.
    I followed the instructions and made up 10 litres using 20 ml starsan.
    Hope it will be ok but there were quite a few bubbles left in the bottles.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Don't worry about the bubbles, completely safe.

Excellent thank you both for the reply.
    Had visons of my turbo cider and coopers stout being poured down the drain.
    What an excellent product starsan is, so simple to use and although initially expensive, as it can be reused it is actually very economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Well it has a very limited time to be reused, once the water goes cloudy or ph goes above 3 its no longer usable as a sanitiser. Cheap ph strips are very helpful. I never make 10/20 litres as they suggest anymore, I use a spray bottle with distilled /ro water, and that keeps for weeks. And for kegs/fermenters I make up 1/2 litre and shake it to cover every surface. A 236ml bottle should last for ages now that I've changed methods.

• Advertisement

calnand wrote: »
    Well it has a very limited time to be reused, once the water goes cloudy or ph goes above 3 its no longer usable as a sanitiser. Cheap ph strips are very helpful. I never make 10/20 litres as they suggest anymore, I use a spray bottle with distilled /ro water, and that keeps for weeks. And for kegs/fermenters I make up 1/2 litre and shake it to cover every surface. A 236ml bottle should last for ages now that I've changed methods.

Thanks calnand. Do you use the distilled water you can buy in a motor factors?
    Also should i wear gloves when in contact with diluted starsan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

One thing, keep it off counter tops in its undiluted form! It will stain if not wiped up immediately! Her in doors was not amused.

Yeah the stuff from the motor factors is perfect, I've sometimes made it home. You can get 25 litres of RO water at most aquarium supplies as well, the place near me sells 25L for €4, you've to bring your own container, I got 5L for €1 as I wouldn't have a need for 25L. I use the killeen heavy duty gloves for any chemicals, they're €3 in tesco, better to be safe then sorry. The homebrew company now sell the blichmann gloves after it was suggested at the Brewcon.

Thank you for the tips.
    ph strips and gloves ordered and will avoid counter tops.
    Very economical product.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭epicmoe

I always just used hot water and baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate). Always worked for me, never had any infections.

• Advertisement

That's only really a cleaner, and not a sanitiser, it's worth paying for a proper sanitiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thin bleach and vinegar
    yer only man person
    use well diluted

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Where can you get starsan in Dublin does anyone know and how much is it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

online suppliers id say..or maybe a vet suppliers ?

Advertisement