Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Damaged Keyboard on Spectre x360

• 08-08-2015 8:28am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So in a particuarly stupid moment, someone who used my laptop used a cloth with about 10ml of soap to clean the keyboard.

Now the keyboard doesn't work properly, half the keys don't work and the half that do show multiple keys at the same time. The rest of the machine is fine.

Since getting to the keyboard requires removing the whole innards and the keyboard itself is attached with 50 screws according to the service manual, I think this is a professional job unless anyone can think of a better way?

Since the replacement keyboards are in short supply, I'll have to go through HP. Does anyone know how much that is likely to cost, and also how long it takes and what the procedure is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Expect it to cost a few hundred through HP.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

how much you talking. i would do it myself but it seems very complicated you need to remove pretty much every component to do it yourself and approx 100 screws

too much for me for a laptop which costed 1300

parts seem hard to come by to

200-300 I'd say.

Called HP who can't help me until Monday since the repairs team does not work weekend. But the support line confirmed (obviously) there would be a charge.

I wanted to get it repaired locally if possible, however nobody seems to be able to get the parts in which really sucks, even on ebay it seems hard to find the keyboard, and a few of the sites that sell it seem less than trustworthy

http://www.lambda-tek.eu/HP-801508-031~sh/B2051351

801508-031 is the part number referenced in the service guide.

They quoted me £139, which wasn't too bad, was worried it would be a lot more.

However they then told me that the price and that code is only for the UK and not Ireland, and at the moment they cannot repair my machine in Ireland which is a bit odd.

There's going to be an escalation about that, but I'm a bit miffed.

• Advertisement

After a bit of haggling and perseverance I got it confirmed for €159. They will pick it up in next few days.

devnull wrote: »
    After a bit of haggling and perseverance I got it confirmed for €159. They will pick it up in next few days.

That's pretty damn good! Glad you got sorted.

Not going to get too ahead of myself yet, when they pick it up (still no news on how that is going to work) and I get it back I'll be satisfied!

Been using it as a tablet the last few days, with it stood up on the keyboard at an angle, hasn't actually been that bad even though I miss having a touchpad.

So an update on this.

HP Contacted me a couple of days later, and asked to arrange a collection date for my laptop. We mutually agreed on the 21st August since I'd be at home that day.

21st August DPD came with a special box that was padded and very well secured for laptops, that they put the machine into and provided me a track and trace number to trace where the laptop was.

On 24th it was delivered to Flextronics, HP's repair agent and today I got a message to say it was repaired and has been sent out by courier this afternoon from the UK. I am pleasantly surprised by the quick turnaround of the repair, just hope that it ccmes back working!

It's worth noting that they provided me with a track and trace to track the laptop being returned to HP on the DPD website, a HP service number ot check the status and a track and trace for the return of the product to me, it was very well managed.

Got the laptop back today, could have got it Thursday but wasn't in so picked it up from DPD depot.

Very well packed, no chance of that machine getting damaged, huge amount of padding including some very weird but very thick but strong and bumpy plastic around the laptop.

Got sent a sheet detailing the fault (faulty keyboard) detailing keyboard had been replaced, machine exterior and internals had been cleaned to like new condition and new thermal paste was applied "as part of a preventive maintenance program to improve functionality and lengthen it's life span"

Included was a survey to fill in online and a long list of tests performed prior to shipping and a signed QA sign off, seems they tested every minor function, port and key before shipping it back.

Very impressed. Laptop works fine and looks like new. They even installed a bunch load of updates and new drivers for me and updated the BIOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 cetusa

May I ask where you initially bought the laptop? Thinking of buying it through HP UK store and parcel motel and just wondering how that would affect warranty/repair?

Advertisement