Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Experienced with passengers?

• 08-08-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Since I was a teenager I've always wanted to ride as a passenger on a motorbike, I just turned 37 and it still hasn't happened. I'm big into 1950's/vintage style but know nothing about bikes.
    I've said it to people who ride but there's always been an excuse from them for me not to and I think it's cause I'm a heavy girl and my weight might be an problem when riding as a passenger.

Im 16 stone, can anyone experienced with this tell me if that's the case?
    Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You could very well be too heavy (size not really relevant TBH unless you are very wide) for the vintage bikes. But for modern day sports tourers it would be no problem at all. You really would want to ask someone with experience of taking pillions for a ride and they will talk you through what is expected of you as a pillion.
    You cannot just hope on and let the rider do all the work, it is vital the pillion knows how to behave and lean with the rider in turns etc.

You just need to find the right rider with the correct bike and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EJ78

thanks Wonda, that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Vintage bikes, by their very nature, are generally smaller (physically) than modern machines. That being said, as Wonda-Boy pointed out, the right rider with the right bike will make a difference.

Just to give you an idea, my partner is a size 18/20 (she won't get near a set of scales), and has no problems riding behind me on my Valkyrie, although she is not all that confident/comfortable sitting on the rear of my Magna.
    Big touring machines like the GoldWing have ample seating, and most owner/riders are very competent in handling a heavy motorcycle, loaded up with luggage and passenger for a fortnight's holiday touring around.

Take a look here www.cycle-ergo.com, pick a bike and put your statistics into the passenger info to see how you would 'look'. Does it look comfortable? If not, pick a different bike. Once you find a bike that you might be comfortable on, then you might be able to find a friendly owner that will help you fulfil your dream.
    If and when you do, listen to his or her instructions, be one with the bike and enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do you have a lid and PPE? If you don't people might not be willing to risk having someone without proper protective gear suing them if they fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

As most said here, a driver may be reluctant to take a passenger on a bike because it's a significant increase in risk if you go beyond going straight down the road for few hundreds meter.

Having a passenger drastically change the way the bike behave (and the heavier the passenger, the more drastic the change).
    An heavy passenger may also mean that suspension change are needed so that the bike still handle properly.
    On some bike it's fairly easy, on other, it's a pain.
    Also if the passenger has no experience, do not know how to move, this makes it even more complicated.

I trust very few people behind me (actually, only my kids, they are used to it and they are light :) ). Even having an experienced rider as a passenger may be a hassle, he will not be used to your way of riding and may lean to hard for example.

That said, as a driver, you can adapt your speed/driving to an inexperience pillion.

Next question is the 'what if ...'
    PPE where mentioned, helmet, pants, jacket, shoes, that's a lot of thing for one ride.
    Biking has it risk, driver will be responsible if there is a problem and you get hurt or worst. That's a risk not everyone is willing to take.

Keep asking, try to talk to someone with a larger modern bike, I'm sure you'll be able to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Personally I'm not a fan of pillions, they effect the bike too much and I certainly wouldn't take a stranger unless it was life or death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    Was never a fan of pillions myself, never did it for longer than giving someone a quick lift somewhere. I did it with a very nervous pillion once (though his desire to not get fired overrode his fear of getting on the bike for a lift to work), and it was not a pleasant experience. Up there with riding in snow.

While you can definitely tell the difference between a heavier and a lighter person, it's not something that would put me. As Plopli says it's not generally something most riders do on a whim unless they know their passenger very well and are very comfortable with it. Which is probably why you've been turned down so far.

Might be worth ringing up a motorcycle training place to have a chat with them. Many of the training instructors would have a proper touring bike and lots of experience carrying pillion, so may be willing to spend the time bringing you around a car park to get you used to it, before going out for a proper spin?

You could also get yourself your own bike. Being the driver is way better than being the passenger. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Have zero interest in carrying passengers. Too much of a risk to me. Hard to enjoy riding a bike when you have that responsibility.

Only exception would be if I knew them well and they could supply their own full set of PPE. Even then I wouldn't go that far with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

What about a spin on the back of a trike?
    I heard of somebody in Ireland setting up a company offering trips on trikes recently. It was on the joe duffy show but I think he had insurance difficulties.
    I can't remember how it ended up but it's an idea.

Advertisement