Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA Premier League Thread 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Busts is the champion.

Well done.

CSF wrote: »
    By my count I need De Gea and Rashford to total 11 points to stay up. Will this game go ahead? Will these guys play?

Whereas I need Valencia and Rashford to do nothing or De Gea and Fosu to start to win my game. Not safe yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dónal wrote: »
    Whereas I need Valencia and Rashford to do nothing or De Gea and Fosu to start to win my game. Not safe yet.

Don't you stay up even if you lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lemlin wrote: »
    Busts is the champion.

Well done.

Cheers you pushed me right to the end.

Cheers you pushed me right to the end.

It's a disappointed dressing room but the lads will be back next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Not 100% but think I did a Sunderland and avoided the drop thanks to a good finish over the closing weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Well done busts, I was very disappointed to lose out on this last year and it's a title I think has some serious kudos attached.

So how does the average in the Premier stack up with regard to the other leagues? Are we still the cream of the crop? Looking around the league it seems that I'm one of the top 5 overall scores and I wasn't at all happy with my season.

Well done busts, I was very disappointed to lose out on this last year and it's a title I think has some serious kudos attached.

So how does the average in the Premier stack up with regard to the other leagues? Are we still the cream of the crop? Looking around the league it seems that I'm one of the top 5 overall scores and I wasn't at all happy with my season.

Im obviously delighted to have won it but it would be a good bit down my list of priorities. I wouldn't be mad on the H2h format and tbh once im in the fsa prem thats enought for me. I'd love a top 1k finish and to break into the top 50 in the ffs hall of fame.

Don't you stay up even if you lose?

Dunno, I didn't check the other games. I'd prefer not up rely on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

This piqued my sad interest in stats so I took the average of the top 5 scores across the FSA Premier League down to the Qualifying League and here's how it stacks up:

FSA Qualifying: 2324
    FSA League 2 & FSA Premier: 2228
    FSA League 1: 2194
    FSA Championship: 2178

Didn't go beyond 5 teams as the last couple of teams in each league have low enough scores and would unfairly skew.

Qualifying league was damn tough this year.

Highest score in any of the leagues unsurprisingly belongs to El Tel in the Qualifying League

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    This piqued my sad interest in stats so I took the average of the top 5 scores across the FSA Premier League down to the Qualifying League and here's how it stacks up:

FSA Qualifying: 2324
    FSA League 2 & FSA Premier: 2228
    FSA League 1: 2194
    FSA Championship: 2178

Didn't go beyond 5 teams as the last couple of teams in each league have low enough scores and would unfairly skew.

Qualifying league was damn tough this year.

Highest score in any of the leagues unsurprisingly belongs to El Tel in the Qualifying League

I think the fact the fsa qualifying has way more than 20 in it would mean it would be far more likely to have a higher average for its top 5.

I think the fact the fsa qualifying has way more than 20 in it would mean it would be far more likely to have a higher average for its top 5.

That could definitely be argued, there's no doubt about it

Not a huge variance across all the H2H leagues anyway

That could definitely be argued, there's no doubt about it

Not a huge variance across all the H2H leagues anyway

Having said that a one hundred pt difference is hugely impressive. The leagues were initially set up based on your overall score two seasons ago so I suppose there could be a lot of very good players that didn't have a great season the year it was set up and have found themselves in the lower leagues. Have you found that the people with the highest overall scores are tending to get promoted as h2h can be a bit of a lottery.

I think you'd see the difference much more if you went to the full 20 average rather than top 5. There will be high scorers in each of the leagues but the standard doesn't drop too much in the Premier where it does in other leagues.

League 2:

Top 3 in league: 2120, 2278 & 2124. Total of these 3 = 6,522
    Top score not being promoted 2235 in 11th
    Average of all 20: 2104

League 1:
    Top 3 in league: 2147, 2209 & 2181. Total of these 3 = 6537
    Top score not being promoted 2216 in 4th
    Average of all 20: 2101

Championship:
    Top 3 in league: 2120, 2169 & 2209. Total of these 3 = 6498
    Top score not being promoted 2223 in 11th
    Average of all 20: 2069

Premier League:
    Top 3 in league: 2252, 2238 & 2185. Total of these 3 = 6675
    Top score not in top 3 is 2245 in 7th
    Average of all 20: 2139

Tried to cover off both queries in the above

Has to exclude Qualifying league but Premier league has the best average when all 20 taken into account but not by a significant amount - 35 points

Generally a good score is needed to be in the top three - Lowest across all the leagues is in League 2 & Championship at 2120

The highest score in 2 of the 4 leagues didn't finish in the top 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

League 1:Top 3 in league: 2147, 2209 & 2181. Total of these 3 = 6537
    Top score not being promoted 2216 in 4th

That's me. I'd be really disappointed if I didn't get promoted. I think the top 6 got promoted from league one last season. There are always a few people who don't sign up.

The battle for safety between myself and Boots234 rages on tonight. I need De Gea and Rashford to total 10 points tonight to stay in the division, anything less and it's Boots who keeps his place.

If De Gea misses out I unfortunately still need the 10 from Rashford whereas if Rashford missed out it'd be 9 required from De Gea.

I won't lie, if I do go down tonight I'll be feeling mighty bitter about this security screwup because I think that 10 points would have been fairly achievable if United still had to keep the pressure on City where tonight is very much a dead rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

The battle for safety between myself and Boots234 rages on tonight. I need De Gea and Rashford to total 10 points tonight to stay in the division, anything less and it's Boots who keeps his place.

If De Gea misses out I unfortunately still need the 10 from Rashford whereas if Rashford missed out it'd be 9 required from De Gea.

I won't lie, if I do go down tonight I'll be feeling mighty bitter about this security screwup because I think that 10 points would have been fairly achievable if United still had to keep the pressure on City where tonight is very much a dead rubber.

Even if I win our game I think you will stay ahead of me as you were 16 points better off (2130pts to 2114pts) before this gameweek began. I'd have had to beat you by at least 17pts to go ahead which impossible now. If I do win I still have to hope that one of Devestated, Gillespie Road, Cesc Cauldron or Team Shark lose to go ahead of them

Boots234 wrote: »
    Even if I win our game I think you will stay ahead of me as you were 16 points better off (2130pts to 2114pts) before this gameweek began. I'd have had to beat you by at least 17pts to go ahead which impossible now. If I do win I still have to hope that one of Devestated, Gillespie Road, Cesc Cauldron or Team Shark lose to go ahead of them

If you win your game you'll go 2 points ahead of me. You were only 1 point behind me and I've almost certainly lost.

If you win your game you'll go 2 points ahead of me. You were only 1 point behind me and I've almost certainly lost.

No I'm 3 behind you on 46pts. I can't pass you out

• Advertisement

No I'm 3 behind you on 46pts. I can't pass you out

That's iroced. You're 1 behind CSF.

That's iroced. You're 1 behind CSF.

A few team names have changed from the beginning of this thread, is CSF's team called 'CHANGE NAME'?

A few team names have changed from the beginning of this thread, is CSF's team called 'CHANGE NAME'?

Nope I'm Team Shark

Sorry about the confusion, I thought we were playing going by your earlier post

Sorry about the confusion, I thought we were playing going by your earlier post

Nope I'm relying on iroced to save me.

By my count I stay up on points difference. If it means even half as much to Boots as it does to me then massive commiserations to you, if my count is right that is.

If default doesn't go your way, then I hope you can bounce back at the first attempt.

By my count I stay up on points difference. If it means even half as much to Boots as it does to me then massive commiserations to you, if my count is right that is.

If default doesn't go your way, then I hope you can bounce back at the first attempt.

It was tight in the finish but congrats on staying up, hopefully a few people won't enter again next season and I'll be able to slot in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    I'm really stinking out this league
    You don't live up to the title of Denmark alright!
    Looks like Busts has the title taken. 5 points ahead with five GWs left.

At the bottom, ScienceNerd and Kev look in trouble.

We are staying up, we are staying up!

Didn't look likely but 5 wins in a row to finish (6 out of the last 7 too) means a thirteenth place finish.

I can be known as pulis or large Sam in future....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

6th.

Europa League.

Happy days.

• Advertisement

Congratulations to Iused2likebusts who has won the FSA Premier League this year. While this is a free to enter league (and is staying that way next year), this year we're able to offer a 125 euro prize to the winner, which finnharpsboy was able to source, so you should PM him to arrange a payment method. Would like to be able to offer prizes again next year so if anyone has anything to offer or knows the right places to look, can you give me a PM?

The following are the 20 posters who've secured a spot in the 16/17 FSA Premier League

Iused2likebusts
    Lemlin
    irish son
    thunderdog
    tom k
    FHFC
    Dearg81
    zarquon
    swiper the fox
    Who_8_Paul?
    Iago
    Sooner or Later
    KevIRL
    GillespieRoad
    Dónal
    iroced
    CSF
    Fizman
    ronan.h
    dahat

Just like last year if anyone knows already they're not gonna join up next year for whatever reason, can you let me know so I can free up your space to the next eligible contender. The next 2 eligible (in order) are: greensausage and then Boots234. I'll get the PMs out shortly after the site goes live and the deadline to sign up will then be July 31st 23:59.

Note: If you've changed username over the course of the last year, let me know. I had a few last year where I had to spend a good bit of time searching who people actually were because I had their old username. This year I won't be doing that. If I can't send you a PM to the username (never mind if its just a misspelling above on my part) above, your place will go to the next eligible entrant.

Just on the prize where has the money come from. Is it sponsored by a company.

I think he said it came from a variety of different sources (a number of different Russian oligarchs have been spotted in Ballybofey since Finn Harps got promoted) The man himself would be better placed to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

From a number of suppliers I deal with in work

From a number of suppliers I deal with in work

That's great I'll PM you later. I just didn't want you to be out of pocket. I'll take 100 and a 25 euro donation to Crumlin children's hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

That's great I'll PM you later. I just didn't want you to be out of pocket. I'll take 100 and a 25 euro donation to Crumlin children's hospital.

Payment sent and donation paid....
    Waiting for receipt from Our lady's to post the proof :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

So. See it was tighter than I imagined :eek:. Congratulations to Busts for his victory and nice gesture. Fair play again to finnharpsboy for giving prizes to these free leagues.

Nope I'm relying on iroced to save me.
    I'll send you my quote :D.

iroced wrote: »
    So. See it was tighter than I imagined :eek:. Congratulations to Busts for his victory and nice gesture. Fair play again to finnharpsboy for giving prizes to these free leagues.

I'll send you my quote :D.

Too late!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Congrats to busts on winning!

For myself a victory over Tom K by the narrowest of margins meant I finished with three wins in a row, so despite dicing with relegation managed a respectable 12th place. I have a copy of last year's league somewhere, must check it, but I think I was 15th last year, so made progress despite my OR dropping substantially.

Someone should have reminded the Commandos there was a monetary prize at an earlier stage, as Cavan men they would have made it their business to win it!!

Someone should have reminded the Commandos there was a monetary prize at an earlier stage, as Cavan men they would have made it their business to win it!!

Someone did back in August ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Cheers to CSF for organising the league again. This league was my main interest for a large part of the season when I was languishing around the 500K mark.

Congrats to BUSTS for winning-from what I remember you have been winning the league since early on.

We all like our stats on here, and seeing as I over achieved by sealing a champions league spot, while I should have finished 11th based on points, I decided to throw a few stats together. Mostly where we all would have finished if the league was based on points alone. Only one of us finished in our deserved place!

The average for our league was 2186. I was going to get some One Way ANOVAs going, to see if there were any statistically significant differences between the averages in each of the leagues, but I thought I'm not that sad (I am though....).

So I was the biggest variant? Hmm, I'll take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Had a feeling before I checked the sheet i might be Mr Equilibrium. Felt like about a 6th place finish and rank.

Still no sign of Fizman, irish son, zarquon, GillespieRoad or iroced. Definitely running lower than usual in numbers for the Premier League with only a few days left in signup.

GillespieRoad and iroced signed up now. Zarquon (former champion I believe), irish son and fizman left to sign up before Sunday night ends.

Thunder dog also has signed up in thread but not in the league itself. I've pmed him but still nothing. If anyone knows him give him a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

GillespieRoad and iroced signed up now. Zarquon (former champion I believe), irish son and fizman left to sign up before Sunday night ends.

Thunder dog also has signed up in thread but not in the league itself. I've pmed him but still nothing. If anyone knows him give him a shout.

joined now, cheers. Only looking at throwing a team together now

2 left to go with a little under 11 hours remaining. Last year's FSA Championship winner yet to take his place in the big leagues. greensausage and boots234 in line to take those 2 spots once the deadline goes up. I'll be PMing any free spots tomorrow morning around 8 and you'll have 12 hours to claim them.

Why are people who got relegated allowed re-entry to the higher league?

Why are people who got relegated allowed re-entry to the higher league?

The system is that 4th in the Championship and 18th in the Premier League are the first 2 eligible to take any unclaimed places. Which of those gets the spot first is based on who gets more points. In this case, the 4th place in the Championship had the higher points. Last year I think it was the other way around.

I get the 'why should someone stay up when they were relegated' argument but I think the 'why should someone go up when they didn't get promoted' argument is just as valid. Unfortunately I've no control over people earning a spot and then not taking it in the end.

The argument that it's harder to finish 4th in the Championship than 18th in the Premier League is very open to opinion and to be honest has varied year on year. For example, I finished 17th in the Premier League last year and was going down until about 15 minutes left in the United v Bournemouth match. In the build up to that match I was looking at the tables to see if I'd be in a position to be first reserve depending who was 4th and noted that I actually had a higher point score than over 50% of the top 10 in the Championship.

With this being a H2H league rather than a points league I think it's particularly unquantifiable and for this reason I think the system in place works.

I've got Busts first this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement