Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Edinburgh

Options
  • 08-08-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭

We're looking at moving back to Edinburgh next year we lived on Dalmeny St for a year a little while back but this time are looking to buy somewhere on the outskirts of the city. What sort of areas would people suggest to look at for a two bed house around the 160k-180k mark? What are the areas on the sea like Portobello or Granton like? Saw a few places on Old Dalkeith Rd that looked nice whats it like round there?

No kids so not having to worry about schools etc just good public transport in to the city centre and would be nice to be somewhere with a good pub close by!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Granton not great , I lived in East Pilton for a few years which is close enough to that area. Portobello is highly recommended by a few folk I work with.
    I don't think you'd get. A two bed for that price in Portobello though.
    What about Queensferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Colinton?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Will check both those areas cheers! If the area is really nice would probably settle for a 1 bed if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭laois hibby

Newhaven/ trinity are good areas between granton and Leith. Leith has improved massively recently but still has some dodgy areas. Portobello is good and musselburgh not bad.

Newhaven/ trinity are good areas between granton and Leith. Leith has improved massively recently but still has some dodgy areas. Portobello is good and musselburgh not bad.

Good to know about Leith when we were on Leigh Walk it top end seemed pretty dodgy!

What are the areas to avoid?

• Advertisement

Depends really. Great junction street at the foot of Leith walk can be dodgy. Some of the streets off Leith walk as well like Lorne street Iona street Albert street can be dodgy enough. Ferry road not too bad but avoid Madeira street and fort street. Leith links is good and Easter road is ok especially for the football. :)

Yeah Ferry Road is alright.
    Colinton isnt near the sea though. Are you looking for somewhere close to Water?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yeah Ferry Road is alright.
    Colinton isnt near the sea though. Are you looking for somewhere close to Water?

Doesn't have to be but would be a nice bonus! Wife would prefer to just find something with a bit of character but I'd like to be able to have an evening stroll down the beach!

Depends really. Great junction street at the foot of Leith walk can be dodgy. Some of the streets off Leith walk as well like Lorne street Iona street Albert street can be dodgy enough. Ferry road not too bad but avoid Madeira street and fort street. Leith links is good and Easter road is ok especially for the football. :)

Yeh I used to pop round to easter road was very handy from dalmeny st!

Don't know where you plan to work etc but along the coast in Edinburgh you have cramond which is nice but very pricey. Silverknowes which is a bit too close to muirhouse, west pilton, west granton which used to be well dodgy. Granton is better but rough enough. Trinity is good but very pricey. Newhaven is good and there is a new development there which looks to be ok. Leith is good and bad. New development at docks is nice enough. Seafield is ok. Borders Portobello but sewage plant would put me off. Portobello is nice and good promenade. Should be around your budget. Joppa is nice enough and close to Portobello. Then your on the outskirts. Technically east Lothian you have musselburgh. Town on its own but attached to Edinburgh. Should be in budget. All these areas on the coast are well serviced with transport to city centre and is walkable in an hour max. I was born and grew up in trinity so know the north side fairly well.

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be but would be a nice bonus! Wife would prefer to just find something with a bit of character but I'd like to be able to have an evening stroll down the beach!

That would rule Colinton out then I'm guessing!

You could just buy something on Meadowbank and use the Loch in Holyrood :D
    Or Polwarth and stroll up the canal!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Lower Granton Road/Starbank Road/Trinity/Newhaven are all good seaside shouts, as are Portobello and Joppa. Leith lacks a proper seafront though as the port totally cuts you off from the sea which is a shame. Also, if kids did come along down the road the schools in Leith are known for being pretty poor. You're also far more likely to get a house out around the coastal parts of Edinburgh rather than a flat.

Queensferry could also be a shout, only 10 minutes on the train to Haymarket and it's a really nice little town with some good pubs and restaurants and the Forth Bridge, also a big sailing spot if that's your thing.

I wouldn't recommend Granton proper to be honest bit of an industrial wasteland with nothing much going on, also pretty close to Muirhouse and East Pilton which have a lot of problems with burglaries and car vandalism. For the extra money it's worth staying away from Granton.

I hadn't even considered Queensferry thanks! What about the other side of the bridge how long is the commute from there?

We are planning on starting up what we do here in the City Centre so anywhere with a train station is going to mean it leaves us close enough.

^^^
    You should find a house or apartment in your price range in South Queensferry, and there's a quick and regular train service to Haymarket and Waverley.

It's also closer to Tynecastle if you like football; leave that oul' lower division nonsense to Hibs and Rangers. Just a thought.......

You could also consider the far side of the Forth - a slightly longer commute from North Queensferry, but your house budget might possibly go a bit further.

^^^
    You should find a house or apartment in your price range in South Queensferry, and there's a quick and regular train service to Haymarket and Waverley.

It's also closer to Tynecastle if you like football; leave that oul' lower division nonsense to Hibs and Rangers. Just a thought.......

You could also consider the far side of the Forth - a slightly longer commute from North Queensferry, but your house budget might possibly go a bit further.

lol I went to Hearts as well back in the Skácel days!

Going to have a good look at Queensferry now looks like it could be the spot!

I hadn't even considered Queensferry thanks! What about the other side of the bridge how long is the commute from there?

We are planning on starting up what we do here in the City Centre so anywhere with a train station is going to mean it leaves us close enough.

Train wise North Queensferry would be ok but driving would be a nightmare, the Forth Road Bridge and the bypass have some horrendous traffic in the mornings. Also don't forget to factor in the cost of season tickets, Scotrail season passes are pretty damn expensive-can be between 1500-1600 a year, could eat up your savings on a mortgage very quickly if there's two of of you commuting. Also like Leith, if kids ever came along Fife is known for very poor public schools.

For that reason I'd recommend staying within the council area but it's a trade off I guess. If I was commuting to Edinburgh I'd rather somewhere like Linlithgow or North Berwick to Fife but different strokes.

On another note Corstorphine might fit your bill, not a seaside location but 15 minutes on bus to West End and a lot cheaper than the Southside or Stockbridge would be. Also you mentioned the Old Dalkeith Road, be careful it's not in Niddrie or Craigmillar, otherwise the area is ok if a little dull. Good transport links and shopping though.

Train wise North Queensferry would be ok but driving would be a nightmare, the Forth Road Bridge and the bypass have some horrendous traffic in the mornings. Also don't forget to factor in the cost of season tickets, Scotrail season passes are pretty damn expensive-can be between 1500-1600 a year, could eat up your savings on a mortgage very quickly if there's two of of you commuting. Also like Leith, if kids ever came along Fife is known for very poor public schools.

For that reason I'd recommend staying within the council area but it's a trade off I guess. If I was commuting to Edinburgh I'd rather somewhere like Linlithgow or North Berwick to Fife but different strokes.

On another note Corstorphine might fit your bill, not a seaside location but 15 minutes on bus to West End and a lot cheaper than the Southside or Stockbridge would be. Also you mentioned the Old Dalkeith Road, be careful it's not in Niddrie or Craigmillar, otherwise the area is ok if a little dull. Good transport links and shopping though.

Good to know about driving from there as that would have been the plan! Will add those spots to the list too cheers!

Moving across the Forth will save you a packet alright but if you were working in the city you'd also be constantly watching the rail updates in blustery weather to see if they close the bridge. It's a long bus ride back when that happens!

You'd cycle in from Queensferry too quite handily, the cycle path network will get you to Asda and Murrayfield (not sure where the path goes from Warriston, I think it might be Stockbridge/Canonmills.

Flat hunting myself at the moment and noticed another one up in Liberton. Almost worth a gamble ... almost! Wondering how long from "getting better" it takes to get to "not a bad area!".

Moving across the Forth will save you a packet alright but if you were working in the city you'd also be constantly watching the rail updates in blustery weather to see if they close the bridge. It's a long bus ride back when that happens!

You'd cycle in from Queensferry too quite handily, the cycle path network will get you to Asda and Murrayfield (not sure where the path goes from Warriston, I think it might be Stockbridge/Canonmills.

Flat hunting myself at the moment and noticed another one up in Liberton. Almost worth a gamble ... almost! Wondering how long it takes from "getting better" it takes to get to "not a bad area!".

That is the key alright! Time it well and its happy days time it wrong and you're left thinking what the hell have I done!!

As an aside, i presume you're familiar with espc.com and rightmove?
    The latter lets you draw a map of your required area, so you always hug the coastline and then bring it inland to catch more places.

• Advertisement

As an aside, i presume you're familiar with espc.com and rightmove?
    The latter lets you draw a map of your required area, so you always hug the coastline and then bring it inland to catch more places.

Yeh I have been playing around with them and zoopla the draw map feature is superb. Every now and then its nice to circle Dean Village just to check! I would take a tiny 1 bed apt there but the wife is having none of it!

Yeh I have been playing around with them and zoopla the draw map feature is superb. Every now and then its nice to circle Dean Village just to check! I would take a tiny 1 bed apt there but the wife is having none of it!

Well this is part of the problem with moving out of the city. Edinburgh is an awesome place to live and moving to Queensferry or Fife, well you're not living in Edinburgh anymore and you lose what makes it such a good place to live. It's a trade off with value for money etc. but give me a 2 bed tenement off Leith Walk over a 4 bed house in somewhere like Livingston or Dunfermline any day.

Also I see you plan on driving into the city, in which case I'd scratch living north of the Forth, the risk of bridge closures due to weather and high winds in addition to waiting times of 45 minutes to an hour to cross the bridge at rush hour (no joke) would put me right off.

Ha ha, I know when I moved here first I used to walk through Dean Village to get through and from work, it's awesome. Though you feel somewhat vindicated when you see folk struggling to get their cars up the hill on icy mornings!

Well this is part of the problem with moving out of the city. Edinburgh is an awesome place to live and moving to Queensferry or Fife, well you're not living in Edinburgh anymore and you lose what makes it such a good place to live. It's a trade off with value for money etc. but give me a 2 bed tenement off Leith Walk over a 4 bed house in somewhere like Livingston or Dunfermline any day.

Also I see you plan on driving into the city, in which case I'd scratch living north of the Forth, the risk of bridge closures due to weather and high winds in addition to waiting times of 45 minutes to an hour to cross the bridge at rush hour (no joke) would put me right off.

The weather wasn't something I had really thought about when it comes to commuting the winter we were there was crazy cold so I can imagine it being a frequent problem so will probably have to stay closer.
    Ha ha, I know when I moved here first I used to walk through Dean Village to get through and from work, it's awesome. Though you feel somewhat vindicated when you see folk struggling to get their cars up the hill on icy mornings!

Looks like such an amazing spot maybe one day when we can get a mortgage!

Does anyone have any idea of what terms you need to meet to get a mortgage in the UK when self-employed? Over here, with out bank at least, they want to see at least 60k profit over 3 years just wondering how tricky it will be to get a mortgage in a year or two over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

One thing to be aware of is that Dean Village is a broadband blackspot as far as we can tell from our rental hunting. Check rightmove for an indication. Of course, that might not be an issue for you. It would drive me spare though...

One thing to be aware of is that Dean Village is a broadband blackspot as far as we can tell from our rental hunting. Check rightmove for an indication. Of course, that might not be an issue for you. It would drive me spare though...

That would suck! By blackspot do you mean a UK blackspot where you can "only" get 30mb broadband or an Irish blackspot where you can't even get a phone line!

Anyone know what the stoneyhill road/stoneyhill ave area just near football/rugby ground in Musselburgh is like? Found a place there which would tick a lot of boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Anyone know what the stoneyhill road/stoneyhill ave area just near football/rugby ground in Musselburgh is like? Found a place there which would tick a lot of boxes!

I lived in the centre of Musselburgh for a couple of months when I moved here first. It's quiet, nothing much happens and it's got plenty of shops of cafes around - as well as Tesco, Aldi, Lidl etc. There seems to be plenty of schools around as well.
    I reckon if you're close to the rugby ground then you'd be a 10-15 minute walk to the train station. Otherwise the 44 can be a pain in the morning into the city - Traffic can be a nightmare.
    It seems to have a reputation as a rough area, which baffled me as I never encountered anything while there. Obviously a handful of teenagers hanging about and a couple of dodgy bars but other than that it's grand. Nice walks along the sea to Portobello - and the Tollbooth restaurant does an unmissable lunch!

• Advertisement

crushproof wrote: »
    I lived in the centre of Musselburgh for a couple of months when I moved here first. It's quiet, nothing much happens and it's got plenty of shops of cafes around - as well as Tesco, Aldi, Lidl etc. There seems to be plenty of schools around as well.
    I reckon if you're close to the rugby ground then you'd be a 10-15 minute walk to the train station. Otherwise the 44 can be a pain in the morning into the city - Traffic can be a nightmare.
    It seems to have a reputation as a rough area, which baffled me as I never encountered anything while there. Obviously a handful of teenagers hanging about and a couple of dodgy bars but other than that it's grand. Nice walks along the sea to Portobello - and the Tollbooth restaurant does an unmissable lunch!

That sounds good to me thanks! Handy to have a few options nearby shopping wise whats the train in from there like is it reliable enough?

Advertisement