Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Google account blocked after graduation?

Options
  • 08-08-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I graduated from UCD in June and I use that UCD Connect google account for my email, youtube etc. I am now unable to sign into the account, I presume because I have left, which is quite concerning because that has become my primary account. Is there anyway I can transfer the data from that google account to another?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bstoran wrote: »
    I graduated from UCD in June and I use that UCD Connect google account for my email, youtube etc. I am now unable to sign into the account, I presume because I have left, which is quite concerning because that has become my primary account. Is there anyway I can transfer the data from that google account to another?

You'd have to contact UCD I'd imagine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

bstoran wrote: »

This is standard practice for most colleges I believe. The email account you are given is only meant to be used for college activities, contacting lecturers etc.
    When I was in DIT I think they gave a year after you graduate so that you can export emails that you would like to keep, etc.
    UCD should be able to reactivate the account for you, it is possible they may have deleted existing emails though

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TCD account, still going strong!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

yoyo wrote: »
    This is standard practice for most colleges I believe.
    Not with Google accounts. One of the main reasons for the move to them is because they are accounts for life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

UCD email addresses are accounts for life now I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TCD has been for life since moving to gApps afaik. DIT do nuke theirs. UCD I'm not sure.

Strange thing is that Google dont charge per seat and there is no limit, so colleges dont pay anything to maintain alumni addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

When i left school, they deleted are accounts, which were google accounts.

I assume they just delete them when you graduate, they take up storage space, which the college need for other students.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When i left school, they deleted are accounts, which were google accounts.

I assume they just delete them when you graduate, they take up storage space, which the college need for other students.

Theyre stored in google datacenters, which have no limit.

ED E wrote: »
    Theyre stored in google datacenters, which have no limit.

Yes, but the school/college would be given a specific amount of storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Yes, but the school/college would be given a specific amount of storage space.
    Yeah but when that specific amount is "unlimited" its hard to run out. Google Apps for Education allows anybody to store files up to 5TB each in size with an unlimited total amount of storage.

If I'm not mistaken the unlimited storage package only came in in the last 2 or 3 years though.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Yeah but when that specific amount is "unlimited" its hard to run out. Google Apps for Education allows anybody to store files up to 5TB each in size with an unlimited total amount of storage.

If I'm not mistaken the unlimited storage package only came in in the last 2 or 3 years though.

Well yes, in that case there is no need to delete it. The college must just not want accounts of former students kept.

Advertisement