Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you store eggs?

Options
  • 08-08-2015 7:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Well, where is the correct place to keep your eggs?

A friend I had over recently was disgusted that I had my eggs stored in the press. He said that they'll go off if I didn't keep them in the fridge.

In any shop I have been to I have never seen eggs in a fridge so I presumed that room temperature was suitable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Well, where is the correct place to keep your eggs?

A friend I had over recently was disgusted that I had my eggs stored in the press. He said that they'll go off if I didn't keep them in the fridge.

In any shop I have been to I have never seen eggs in a fridge so I presumed that room temperature was suitable?

This is an old one... you store em where you buy em. On the shelf. Your friends being a nonce.
    There was some mention of storing in the fridge in other countries but I think theyre eggs are differently produced in terms of environment and hygene standards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Gebgbegb wrote:
    This is an old one... you store em where you buy em. On the shelf. Your friends being a nonce. There was some mention of storing in the fridge in other countries but I think theyre eggs are differently produced in terms of environment and hygene standards.

Heard this argument with Ketchup but never eggs. So I am right then. My friend didn't seem to understand the logic that if they're not refrigerated in the shop, they didn't need to be at home. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

[QUOTE=ComfortKid;96539921 Heard this argument with Ketchup but never eggs. So I am right then. My friend didn't seem to understand the logic that if they're not refrigerated in the shop, they didn't need to be at home. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Ketchup and mayonnaise are sold off a shelf, but after opening need to be regfrigerated.

I store eggs on a shelf, and if they're near or even after their sell-by date I do the bowl of water test, to make sure they're ok.

(ETA - dunno what happened with my attempts to bold the bit about ketchup!)

I store eggs in the fridge. The packet specifically says to store them in the fridge.

Admittedly this is France, there might be a climate issue to consider.

Nevertheless, I've always been under the impression that shops don't store eggs in the fridge purely for practical reasons (space and cost).

There's also the fact that a shop will have a lower ambient temperature than your kitchen has during cooking. Kitchens usually get really warm during long cooking spells, such as preparing Sunday lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I keep mine out but not for any particular reason. I had read somewhere that eggs that were washed had to be kept in the fridge but otherwise it was ok to keep them out. Doing a quick google, the food safety authority say is has to do with the transfer of bacteria like Salmonella and only certain grades of egg can be washed. The stuff in the supermarkets are all grade A and cannot be washed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

My irish bought (off shelf) eggs say refrigerate after purchase on container???

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Maldesu wrote: »
    I keep mine out but not for any particular reason. I had read somewhere that eggs that were washed had to be kept in the fridge but otherwise it was ok to keep them out. Doing a quick google, the food safety authority say is has to do with the transfer of bacteria like Salmonella and only certain grades of egg can be washed. The stuff in the supermarkets are all grade A and cannot be washed.
    Why would you want to wash an egg? :confused:

My irish bought (off shelf) eggs say refrigerate after purchase on container???

Stores covering their a$$es I think.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Chicken poo. Not all coops are clean etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Stores covering their a$$es I think.

Nothing to do with the shop.

It's the producer that has marked the container.

Nothing to do with the shop.

It's the producer that has marked the container.

Maybe the're covering themselves.

Just read my own packet of eggs, which says keep them in the fridge for freshness. Its not so much a requirement, but more a suggestion I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

An unbroken egg shell is natures equivalent of a tin can or a foil pouch. An egg isn't quite as impervious to air as a tin can, obviously, but people were storing and eating eggs for a very long time before refrigeration became widely available. A Shelf life of a month at room temperature isn't unreasonable, though they will last longer if refrigerated.

Realistically, though, if it takes you a month to eat a dozen eggs, keep them in the fridge. If you buy your eggs every week, there's nothing wrong with keeping them in the press.

The stuff in the supermarkets are all grade A and cannot be washed.
    I'm pretty sure that any egg that you buy in the supermarket has been well washed - chickens don't lay perfectly clean eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The hens lay them and we store them in an egg box haven't bought eggs in ages.

The hens lay them and we store them in an egg box haven't bought eggs in ages.

Any chance you'd send me on a few? :-P

Used to get a few eggs of a farmer in work, much nicer than the ones I buy in the shop.

This thread seems pretty much 50/50 as to where they should bw stored. If it's not unhygienic to keep them out then I will continue to do that, I usually have them ate in 4 or 5 days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Eggs that are washed after laying (as in the US) should be refrigerated. Eggs that aren't (as in the EU) shouldn't. It's to do with the protective membrane that's placed around them as they're laid.

Touch site won't let me post a link for some reason, will add it next time I'm on my laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

AFAIK eggs should be stored in a fridge after purchase. In America, they are store and sold from the fridge in Supermarkets. But EU rules, are they are too be stored on a shelf at room temperature, then kept in a fridge after purchase. It has something to be with bacteria and condensation. I seen it in the Wall Street Journal or one of the US business papers, how the varying rules around food are different in the US and the EU. Which makes the importation of either's food store difficult eg Keogh crisps, were created so they could export their potatoes to the US. You arent allowed to import uncooked potatoes from the EU into the US

I cant link it. But you can google why are eggs refrigerated in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I always store eggs in the press.

Refrigerated eggs do not taste the same when cooked. But maybe that's just me.

I love eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Anyhow here's what the Food Safety Authority have to say.. basically keep it at a constant temp below 20degrees... fridge would be the most consistent... but then again if you have a press that is a constant enough temp then away ya go.

HERE

After the spud, they egg has to be the most useful bit of food in my house. So many different things you can make with them.

I love eggs too!

After the spud, they egg has to be the most useful bit of food in my house. So many different things you can make with them.

I love eggs too!
    I'd have to put bread at the top of that list!

• Advertisement

Im not really a big bread eater,i don't think I've ever finished a loaf, but you can't really do anything with bread other than eat it? Eggs and spuds can be used to make many different meals.

I love eggs too!

We also grow our own potatoes so we've loads of new potatoes along with our own eggs.

We also grow our own potatoes so we've loads of new potatoes along with our own eggs.

How many chickens would you need to produce around 10 eggs per week?

And how much room would you need for that amount of chickens?
    I'd love to get some, and have a big enough garden but I have 2 terriers so id need to fence of an area for em.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

In America all eggs are mass washed

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

In America all eggs are mass washed

Aren't our eggs washed too? I've never seen any dirt on them, whereas the eggs I used to get off my colleague were filthy with poo and feathers

How many chickens would you need to produce around 10 eggs per week?

And how much room would you need for that amount of chickens?
    I'd love to get some, and have a big enough garden but I have 2 terriers so id need to fence of an area for em.

We only got back into hens this year and we only have two now but we generally they generally lay on egg a day. So we have about 14 eggs in a week.
    We've a good few half an acre areas fenced off areas so we try and move them around.
    I know there are plenty of hutches for sale on done deal and there popular with people with smaller gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Aren't our eggs washed too? I've never seen any dirt on them, whereas the eggs I used to get off my colleague were filthy with poo and feathers

No

The EU bans washing them. Whereas America bans them unwashed

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2012/10/25/why-american-eggs-would-be-illegal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/

http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/11/26/why-must-we-regrigerate-eggs-while-europe-doesnt/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

We have a few hens out the back. Eggs are kept on a shelf in the utility. Taste much better and are always fresh. Coop isn't very big but if there is an area for laying and an area for roosting then the eggs are spotless.... Except if their outside area is mucky... Then the eggs get covered in muck as the hens stand on those already in the nesting box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

It depends on how the hens are kept, majority of the dirt on home produced eggs is dirt that comes off the hens feet and feathers in the nest box. One of the priorities in Irish egg production is to produce clean eggs and nest boxes and areas around them would be frequently cleaned. Feathers would be picked off although I have found some in boxes before.

Only speculating here but any dirty eggs may be separated out for bulk sale to restaurants, the eggs wouldn't be seen by customers then.

We never refrigerate ours here either, but max three weeks for hen eggs, four weeks for duck eggs before throwing them out.

• Advertisement

The EU bans washing them. Whereas America bans them unwashed

Very strange isn't it.

Advertisement