Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you store eggs?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

looksee wrote: »
    It is true to the extent that the discussion was about eggs for retail consumers, bringing eggs for use by commercial customers into the discussion is irrelevant.

.....and ungraded eggs.

Eggs sold in small quantities on the local market are largely exempt from the requirements and could be washed (very few would though) - small producers (less than 50 layers) don't need to grade so are not covered by the requirements around grading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bayberry wrote: »
    That's the theory - how does it actually work out in practice? If you're boiling an egg, the variation in how quickly the water heats up depending on how much water you put in the pot in the first place will swamp any initial variations in the temperature of the egg. And that's with the boiling temperature of water being low enough that 10-15 degrees difference in the starting temperature could arguably be relevant. When you're talking about the much higher temperatures for frying, differences in the initial starting point would surely be irrelevant.

Well boiling and frying are fairly 'violent' processes and will swamp any temp differences, but if you're doing a dish were temp is critical to achieving certain textures, there may be merit in bringing up the starting temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Do you eat them raw? If you're going to cook them, I can't see how it makes much difference whether they start at room temperature or at fridge temperature.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    unless you extend the cooking time which may lead to the less dense area of the egg (the white) being overlooked.
    I think that poster meant that any salmonella would be destroyed during cooking, and so only an issue if eating raw. EDIT: seems they weren't!
    I know people (who've never even seen a hen) who freak out about eggs not being dumped before the expiry date, despite the fact that you'd be able to smell if they were off.
    There were no expiry dates when I was growing up, thousands were dying annually from gone off eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well boiling and frying are fairly 'violent' processes and will swamp any temp differences, but if you're doing a dish were temp is critical to achieving certain textures, there may be merit in bringing up the starting temp.

I made that point in my original post! But I'd suggest that those cases would be relatively rare, and that the recipe for something that actually required room-temperature eggs should mention that.
    Do you eat them raw? If you're going to cook them, I can't see how it makes much difference whether they start at room temperature or at fridge temperature.

It might make a difference if you're mixing them into a custard or mayonaisse, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I didn't know that - and only recently I've been taking them out of the fridge, half a dozen at a time, so they'll be at room temperature when I use them :eek:

If they're fully cooked, there'll be no issue, all the bacteria will be killed off. Obviously, caution is needed in recipes that require raw eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It might make a difference if you're mixing them into a custard or mayonaisse, I suppose.

No, but I'd rather be safe than sorry :)

Advertisement