Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI R9 390X

Options
  • 08-08-2015 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hey guys

I got a 390X for my first pc build it a few weeks ago only getting in gaming last few days but the card is like a jet taking off in the room when running high end games and valley benchmark.
    I have it on silent mode thru the msi gaming app.
    Temps are 65-80
    Fan speed 60-70%

Is this the norm for high end cards to be this loud cause people on youtube say that the card is nearly inaudible which is certainly not the case.At idle yes it is but playing GTA it is certainly double as loud as any console i have had in the passed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

looks like its a noisy sonabiatch.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_390X_Gaming/29.html
    high end cars tend to be a lot noisy depending on whether you're using the reference design or custom..custom ones are generally far quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Maybe take it off silent mode and see if that helps.

I have the xfx 390x and its no where near that noisey.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Maybe take it off silent mode and see if that helps.

I have the xfx 390x and its no where near that noisey.

Yeah tried that just probably overreacting a bit dont think anything is wrong with it sounds the same as the noise test on youtube just didn't expect it to be as loud as it is in person and in a Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 i wanted almost complete silence so just a bit disappointed is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Try creating a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner.

My 290s fans are silent up to 38%, so I've them set to run at that until it reaches 70c, then it slowly increases up to 60% at 80c, which I can normally hear but isn't an issue, and the card generally starts to cool or stop heating at that. So unless it's under a good load its fairly quiet.

Your GPU mighnt be the loudest component either, my disk drive, HDD and PSU are the loudest in mine when it's idling

Try creating a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner.

My 290s fans are silent up to 38%, so I've them set to run at that until it reaches 70c, then it slowly increases up to 60% at 80c, which I can normally hear but isn't an issue, and the card generally starts to cool or stop heating at that. So unless it's under a good load its fairly quiet.

Your GPU mighnt be the loudest component either, my disk drive, HDD and PSU are the loudest in mine when it's idling

Copied you're settings that's a lot better thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

As long as the VRMs/core don't get above 85 you're golden. You could also try undervolting to reduce the heat (and thuse the needing for louder cooling) even more.

Gumbi wrote: »
    As long as the VRMs/core don't get above 85 you're golden. You could also try undervolting to reduce the heat (and thuse the needing for louder cooling) even more.
    Ahh no It was just the standard fan profile was not to my liking i can't even hear it now when running valley the HDD is louder now..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Just monitor the temps like a hawk for the next few days to make sure they aren't getting out of hand.

Just monitor the temps like a hawk for the next few days to make sure they aren't getting out of hand.
    It hasn't gone over 70C after running valley full tilt for an hour and gta for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It seems about right. The more powerful cards do tend to give off a lot of heat and make a lot of noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

laneooo wrote: »
    It hasn't gone over 70C after running valley full tilt for an hour and gta for an hour.

Really? It must have been sub 60 degrees beforehand then if the fans were so loud.

70 degrees is superb for a 390X tbh... How about the VRMs?

Really? It must have been sub 60 degrees beforehand then if the fans were so loud.

Yeah it was sub 60 that's what they say forget were i read it but msi don't like there cards well 390x anyway ramping up and down in temp they say its bad or whatever... They like it to stay a steady temp it basically stays in or around 60c fans don't kick in till it hits 60(at idle fans don't turn on for the most part) and when gaming they try there best to keep it at 60c that's just to loud...

Im after running valley again for the last 20 min
    Max temp was 73c
    VRM 1 76c max
    VRM 2 49c Max

Are your cpu temps affected by the gpu?

Seen it happen before.
    Are you using HWmonitor or checking gpu-z?

gpu-z.
    Cpu temps are about 29c at idle woundnt do anything cpu heavy.

laneooo wrote: »
    gpu-z.
    Cpu temps are about 29c at idle woundnt do anything cpu heavy.

Your lucky. I had to move mine down to end of board. Was getting cpu temps in mid 80s. Now down to low 60s.

Your lucky. I had to move mine down to end of board. Was getting cpu temps in mid 80s. Now down to low 60s.
    Jesus that seems excessive... stock cooler?

Advertisement