Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not returning to school August 27th

Options
  • 09-08-2015 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Just wondering are summer holidays (June-August) back counted as sick leave if a teacher does not return to work for the new school year on the first day ( my school reopens August 27th)... Thinking of taking August 27th - end of Sept inclusive off due to personal reasons. Don't want to but looks like i may have to.
    Worried about pay. Have had to take some time here and there during last school year. Will be checking with union but any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

If you missed the end of the last school year then they might be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In our ETB, if you missed the last day in May and the first in August, you were deemed absent dring the summer. Struggle in if you can.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Check it out, a friend who got certified as being "fit for work" during the holidays so her holidays didn't get counted as sick leave. Contact your union ASAP>

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Thanks for info, I was in the last week and half of school in May until the day of hols. I'm on the books and 'In' school. It's just the going back in August, If I don't get in the first few days are they counting my summer as sick leave then.
    Just a major situation going on in my life right now, otherwise I'd be in flying it as normal. Thanks for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think you should be ok if you were in for a full week and a half at the end of the last term. But definitely run it by the union for clarification. Look after yourself OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

the Summer should only count if you were out first and last day before and after hols.

As others have said the union will let you know but they can be slow. You should ring your principal and run it by them too I think and let them know so that they can sort a sub and that. Then you can forget about school and look after yourself, thinking about this is probably causing you stress and all tgat goes with it.

Take care anyway whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It really is disgraceful that we have to worry about this sort of thing. It's bad enough that they're counting Saturdays and Sundays as sick days if you're off Friday and Monday (surely that can't actually be legal?) but count the whole Summer? Utterly disgraceful that we should even have to contemplate that.

Hope things work out ok for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Check it out with the union as someone said to me that they changed the rules relating to sick around the time of the holidays as the dept were of the opinion that people were abusing the system by coming in on the last day of the holidays after missing a few weeks/months so that they wouldn't have their holidays counted as sick leave. And that person told me that you had to be back by the middle of May at the latest to avoid your holidays being counted as sick leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Just wondering are summer holidays (June-August) back counted as sick leave if a teacher does not return to work for the new school year on the first day ( my school reopens August 27th)... Thinking of taking August 27th - end of Sept inclusive off due to personal reasons. Don't want to but looks like i may have to.
    Worried about pay. Have had to take some time here and there during last school year. Will be checking with union but any advice please

Is there any way you could go back for just one day and then get certified after that?

Advertisement