Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something wrong with my build? Bad gaming performance

Options
  • 09-08-2015 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hello all, I have recently built a gaming pc. Up until now, everything was pretty good. However, after I upgraded to windows 10, my pc is performing poorly in games. I have done:
    clean windows 10 installation, did not solve it.
    went back to 8.1, did not solve it.
    went back to win 7, slightly better but did not solver it.

Really.. i have tried everything I could.. drivers, different bios etc..

Here are the average FPS I get ( res 1080p) :
    GTA Online ( default graphics ): 42 FPS
    GTA 5 Offline ( default graphics ): 46 FPS
    Skyrim with 2K mod: 23 FPS
    Skyrim ( High ): 45 FPS
    Skyrim ( Ultra ): 33 FPS

Before this, GTA would cap at 50FPS no matter the intensity and same with skyrim on Ultra.

Is there something wrong with my gpu?

--Specs--
    AMD Fx 8320E 3.2ghz
    8gb HyperX ram
    Sapphire r9 290 tri X, new edition
    120gb HyperX SSD
    1tb seagate HDD 7200rpm
    FHD 21.5 monitor
    SuperFlower 550w 80+ bronze

I bought the parts from Hardwareversand and it has been over 2 weeks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hunt3R wrote: »
    Hello all, I have recently built a gaming pc. Up until now, everything was pretty good. However, after I upgraded to windows 10, my pc is performing poorly in games. I have done:
    clean windows 10 installation, did not solve it.
    went back to 8.1, did not solve it.
    went back to win 7, slightly better but did not solver it.

Really.. i have tried everything I could.. drivers, different bios etc..

Here are the average FPS I get ( res 1080p) :
    GTA Online ( default graphics ): 42 FPS
    GTA 5 Offline ( default graphics ): 46 FPS
    Skyrim with 2K mod: 23 FPS
    Skyrim ( High ): 45 FPS
    Skyrim ( Ultra ): 33 FPS

Before this, GTA would cap at 50FPS no matter the intensity and same with skyrim on Ultra.

Is there something wrong with my gpu?

--Specs--
    AMD Fx 8320E 3.2ghz
    8gb HyperX ram
    Sapphire r9 290 tri X, new edition
    120gb HyperX SSD
    1tb seagate HDD 7200rpm
    FHD 21.5 monitor
    SuperFlower 550w 80+ bronze

I bought the parts from Hardwareversand and it has been over 2 weeks..

Are you running anything monitoring software? Can you check if you are maxing out the GPU during these benchmark runs? Temps on the GPU are worth keeping an eye on GPU temps as well, as it could be trottling the GPU if its getting too hot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Go to power options and set it to high performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hunt3R

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Are you running anything monitoring software? Can you check if you are maxing out the GPU during these benchmark runs? Temps on the GPU are worth keeping an eye on GPU temps as well, as it could be trottling the GPU if its getting too hot

I have used sapphire trixx, with no OC,while playing GTA online, its around 38 degrees and with oc to 1.2ghz, its around 44 degrees... Considering its an amd card, it wouldn't call it too hot.. Also the CPU load is around 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hunt3R wrote: »
    I have used sapphire trixx, with no OC,while playing GTA online, its around 38 degrees and with oc to 1.2ghz, its around 44 degrees... Considering its an amd card, it wouldn't call it too hot.. Also the CPU load is around 60%

38°C while under load? It's throttling like crazy, my card idles at 36°c :pac: You'll have to take a look through the OS Settings and see is there anything about a performance mode

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hunt3R

Alright, i have set my card to high performance mode ( Oc to 1.15ghz ) and changed some catalyst settings..
    I also did the heaven benchmark, its not too different from windows 8 results ( win 8.1 got 53 FPS ).. Also, minecraft, it gets around 60FPS.. I have no idea why games like GTA Online and Skyrim are having such problems.. is my cpu bottleneckking my gpu? I cant overclock my cpu cuz its only 95TDP, ASRock website states it supports CPUs up to 125TDP. I also sent hardwareversand an email saying I want a replacement, they replied saying their parent company, altellco has gone bankrupt... is there anything i can do now?
    BI2me.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement