Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbour

Options
  • 09-08-2015 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just bought a house a couple of months ago. Moved into in three wks ago with husband and doing it up. So Ive started to notice really loud stuff coming from next door. Hes a man on his own but seems to have ppl around ALL the time. Last night I was awoken at about 3am with loud talking and music. Tonight Im sitting in my kitchen wrecked as Ive been woken up again. They sound absolutely pissed and arent even making sense but one if them shouts the odd timw and honestly urs just too late! Husband is in bed but hes not asleep. This has happened every weekend since I moved in. Will need to wait it out I suppose to see if it comtinues :/ I need my sleep anyone had similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭islander222

janes1234 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Just bought a house a couple of months ago. Moved into in three wks ago with husband and doing it up. So Ive started to notice really loud stuff coming from next door. Hes a man on his own but seems to have ppl around ALL the time. Last night I was awoken at about 3am with loud talking and music. Tonight Im sitting in my kitchen wrecked as Ive been woken up again. They sound absolutely pissed and arent even making sense but one if them shouts the odd timw and honestly urs just too late! Husband is in bed but hes not asleep. This has happened every weekend since I moved in. Will need to wait it out I suppose to see if it comtinues :/ I need my sleep anyone had similar experience?

Keep a track of the dates and times. As it has been a few weekends in a row you will need to approach your neighbour about it.
    If that Doesnt help, do you know if he rents or owns? If renting you could approach the landlord.
    I had a similar issue, they were renting and wouldn't keep it down. Eventually approached the landlord and it turned out the landlord was trying the get them out anyway for other reasons... They moved into another house around the corner so became somebody else's problem... But we let it go on much too long, so don't make the same mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Check with the local guards if the last owners had problems with them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

janes1234 wrote: »
    Hi all

Call in and explain the situation i have done it a few times,It worked out well but for the time i was living next to roma,but i got them out in the end so it really worked out well every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

Pocoyo wrote:
    Call in and explain the situation i have done it a few times,It worked out well but for the time i was living next to roma,but i got them out in the end so it really worked out well every time.

Thanks for all of your replies. Im afraid he has bought house so were stuck with him. Am going to monitor or situation over next week or so. My husband reckons hell just read ring guards next time as he said they sounded totally out of it and were shouting and screaming at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

janes1234 wrote:
    My husband reckons hell just read ring guards next time as he said they sounded totally out of it and were shouting and screaming at one point.

Going to the Gardai without even speaking to the guy first is like throwing petrol on a fire to put it out. He'll probably twig straightaway who called them as you're only in the house a wet week, and then your relationship with your neighbour is potentially wrecked before you've even lived there a month.

Go around and introduce yourselves first. Don't even mention the noise at that stage. Give it another couple of weeks after that and if it's still an issue, say it to him then and at least you've some kind of neighbourly rapport established.

Going in all guns blazing is just going to have him peg you as a pair of assholes and as you have to live next door to the guy for God knows how long, you really don't want that. Especially when you're only there 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Roger McAllen

What type of property is this, semi-detached, mid-terrace, end of terrace, duplex? When was it built? Sound-proofing walls can work very well for non-impact noise (such as talking, shouting, music, TV, radios, etc). <mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Noise is a civil matter, so the guards are probably not interested.

There's a long thread about noisy neighbours on boards at the moment, but as you are in a house you are in a better position than that poor OP.

Step 1. Chat to neighbours to build relationship
    Step 2. Casually mention the noise to neighbours (steps suggested by Dial Hard)

Step 3. Write a letter
    Step 4. Make complaint to District Court under EPA

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Been reading the noise stuff on here and considered myself lucky. While the walls are pretty thin where I live, the noise interference hasn't been an issue. The odd time you can hear neighbours move stuff, or if a door slams. But nothing major.

We are pretty conscious about noise from on apartment we stayed in where above us was a really nice family, but you could just hear every footstep they took. But we havn't had any complaints from our neighbours about anything, even though we sometimes get conscious when our baby is having a very rare freakout in the early hours.

But whats come to the fore more recently has been a bunch of people on the road behind us. The way the estate is built, with some high houses, it bounces noise around from the roads something fierce. Last few weekends there has been roaring and argueing on the road behind us, that is really audible. And its that horrible noise, a young one who sounds like a chainsaw whenever she opens her mouth. I havn't been too distressed as our baby is immense and just sleeps through all noise but it if keeps up I'll be having words.

And that is from a road behind me, about 100 yards away. Nothing but respect for the OP here, or the OP in that other thread in the apartment, that they havn't massacred their noisy neighbours and lived in tranquil peace.

Advertisement