Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The housing crisis and where we go from here

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

they replace the wiring in a lot of council houses at turn around due to certain sections of 'society' ripping copper wiring and piping out of walls. it takes a lot of time to rectify these issues.

Sorry how can it take 9 months to find an electrician? the thought of people ripping copper wiring and piping out of walls is a bit mind boggling, why would you do that to your home if you are handing the keys back volentarily

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sorry how can it take 9 months to find an electrician? the thought of people ripping copper wiring and piping out of walls is a bit mind boggling, why would you do that to your home if you are handing the keys back volentarily

Squatters during the nine months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

they replace the wiring in a lot of council houses at turn around due to certain sections of 'society' ripping copper wiring and piping out of walls. it takes a lot of time to rectify these issues.

Have you any proof of this or are you just making stuff up?

Even if true, it takes 3 days max to re wire a full house. Plenty council houses are lying idol for months and months with no work at all going on in them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Have you any proof of this or are you just making stuff up?

Even if true, it takes 3 days max to re wire a full house. Plenty council houses are lying idol for months and months with no work at all going on in them.

I think it goes back to Mrs O'Bumbles point that staff are not available.

This is why I think more subcontracting of this work and spending money on this is better than stuff like these modular houses they are suggesting.

That however may expose inefficiences in councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stheno wrote: »
    I think it goes back to Mrs O'Bumbles point that staff are not available.

This is why I think more subcontracting of this work and spending money on this is better than stuff like these modular houses they are suggesting.

That however may expose inefficiences in councils.

Also local authorities unions won't allow it

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Also local authorities unions won't allow it

Jesus, I have come across that crap before.

Shame, in the meantime families are trapped in hotel rooms

Stheno wrote:
    Shame, in the meantime families are trapped in hotel rooms

Trapped? If I was in dire need of a house I'd be delighted with a hotel room. Not ideal, but as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Trapped? If I was in dire need of a house I'd be delighted with a hotel room. Not ideal, but as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

Roof over your head and no bill's or rent to pay would suit some people ,
    Yeah you can't cook a family meal or throw parties .
    It could literally save family's thousands as in save to Move somewhere more permanent

BUt if you were stuck in a hotel room due to unions preventing houses being freed up surely that would be frustrating

Stheno wrote:
    BUt if you were stuck in a hotel room due to unions preventing houses being freed up surely that would be frustrating

Frustrating yes, but I'd be glad that I have a bed to sleep in and a roof over my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FWIW, housing officers are some of the hardest working people I've met in Ireland. And yes, some people do remove the wiring from houses they are leaving or that others have left. This is why in some locations houses are automatically boarded up when someone moves out.

It doesn't take 9 months to re-wire a house. But it can take months to get everything lined up at the right time and place: the council cannot just ring up any old electrician to come and do the work, they have to use staff or approved contractors. They have to assess what work is needed. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Why does it have to be matching? I am not going to get a social house but if I was offered one then I would gratefully accept it.

I do not know much about social housing though, I presumed you got a house at reduced rent and looked after it like you would if you owned a house

You get a unfurnished house/apartment with no flooring or white goods. Everything else the council is responsible for. And there is nobody in this world that are as quick to complain as people who get everything for free.

Advertisement