Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows 10 problem

• 09-08-2015 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

i upgraded to windows 10 on the free upgrade and ever since my internet speed has dropped from 70mb wireless to 3-6mb wireless.

i contacted upc and they said everything is fine there end the only thing that has changed is windows.

can someone help as im not computer savy and its doing my head in

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i upgraded to windows 10 on the free upgrade and ever since my internet speed has dropped from 70mb wireless to 3-6mb wireless.

i contacted upc and they said everything is fine there end the only thing that has changed is windows.

Download an app call speedtest and try see what your phone says the speed is. If it's 70mb then it definitely is the computer. I'd look maybe at updating the drivers for your wireless card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you do a speedtest on your phone just to make sure it's just not windows 10?

Have you ran a network cable to a laptop or something to see if it's only the wireless signal the speed problem is on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Most likely a wireless card driver issue.What laptop is it?

Try googling "<Laptop name> wireless drivers windows 10 ".

That will most likely bring up a solution if anyone's else is having the problem.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

just rang a speed test on my phone

download 89.85 upload 24.79

laptop

download 6.29 upload 19.77

What laptop is it?

• Advertisement

FrostyJim wrote: »
    What laptop is it?

hp pavilion touchsmart 15

i went onto hp site to drivers and software and checked for updates these are the suggestions it gave me

HP 3D DriveGuard Software (HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection)
    6.0.28.1 Rev.A 32.1 MB Aug 3, 2015

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver
    8.20.815.2013 Rev. 6.0 MB Jul 29, 2015

Realtek Card Reader Driver
    6.2.9200.29068 Rev. 10.7 MB Jul 29, 2015

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver
    6.0.1.7548 Rev.A 278.7 MB Aug 5, 2015

will any of them fix the issue?

i went onto hp site to drivers and software and checked for updates these are the suggestions it gave me

8.20.815.2013 Rev. 6.0 MB Jul 29, 2015

6.2.9200.29068 Rev. 10.7 MB Jul 29, 2015

6.0.1.7548 Rev.A 278.7 MB Aug 5, 2015

If any of them will, it'll be the Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver, is there any mention of wifi or wireless lan drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Len!n

Check what date is your current driver. It may be very old. I would start with the latest from that site and if the problem is not fixed - try another. Friends laptop had video driver issues on Windows 8.1. After the update laptop was crashing, so he downgraded the driver in few attempts. Problem was fixed.
    I hope this will help.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    If any of them will, it'll be the Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver, is there any mention of wifi or wireless lan drivers?

no only the things i posted.

should i download all of the suggested upgrades?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would it be worth changing the wireless channel on the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Would it be worth changing the wireless channel on the router?

No because he is getting a good speed on wifi for his phone if it was a channel issue both would be slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Bring up Task Manager (Right-Click the Start bar) / Performance - What is your CPU/Mem like at rest and when trying to use the net? If CPU appears high (anything over about 20% when using the net) click the Processes Tab, then sort by CPU usage to see what process is using the most resources. Besides the issues already suggested it is possible your Laptop's AV/Security software is scanning internet traffic a little too aggressively. I know Kaspersky has a few issues with Windows 10 now (though not performance specifically) so I imagine others might be throwing some wobblies also.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

No. On that page, change the Operating system from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 and it will list a bunch of WiFi drivers (for Qualcomm, Realtek and MediaTek wifi hardware). That suggests two things - 1) there may not be Win10 drivers available for that hardware yet, and 2), you need to double check exactly which WiFi hardware is in your particular laptop before going any further.

To check the specific wifi hardware, click on the start button and type Device. Open Device Manager, then expand Network Adapters. You should see BlueTooth, WiFi and LAN adapters listed. You can right-click on the WiFi adapter to see details of what driver is currently installed, and see what the various settings are.

If the driver listed there isn't listed as a Windows 10 driver supplied bythe maufacturer, I would try to install the latest Win8.1 driver for you specific WiFi hardware, and see if that makes any difference.

But I would also point out that I haven't seen any complaints about decreased wifi speed with Windows 10, so this might just be one of those WiFi things that happens from time to time (it's hard to troubleshoot invisible stuff!), and not a Win10 problem, as such).

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Bring up Task Manager (Right-Click the Start bar) / Performance - What is your CPU/Mem like at rest and when trying to use the net? If CPU appears high (anything over about 20% when using the net) click the Processes Tab, then sort by CPU usage to see what process is using the most resources. Besides the issues already suggested it is possible your Laptop's AV/Security software is scanning internet traffic a little too aggressively. I know Kaspersky has a few issues with Windows 10 now (though not performance specifically) so I imagine others might be throwing some wobblies also.

cpu was running at 2 per cent
    Bayberry wrote: »
    No. On that page, change the Operating system from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 and it will list a bunch of WiFi drivers (for Qualcomm, Realtek and MediaTek wifi hardware). That suggests two things - 1) there may not be Win10 drivers available for that hardware yet, and 2), you need to double check exactly which WiFi hardware is in your particular laptop before going any further.

To check the specific wifi hardware, click on the start button and type Device. Open Device Manager, then expand Network Adapters. You should see BlueTooth, WiFi and LAN adapters listed. You can right-click on the WiFi adapter to see details of what driver is currently installed, and see what the various settings are.

If the driver listed there isn't listed as a Windows 10 driver supplied bythe maufacturer, I would try to install the latest Win8.1 driver for you specific WiFi hardware, and see if that makes any difference.

But I would also point out that I haven't seen any complaints about decreased wifi speed with Windows 10, so this might just be one of those WiFi things that happens from time to time (it's hard to troubleshoot invisible stuff!), and not a Win10 problem, as such).

i right clicked on wifi adaptor and the click on the driver. there was an option to upgrade so i upgraded it and restarted my laptop.

ran speed test and results are:
    download speed 48.8
    upload speed 21.46

so it greatly helped but still not back to what it was. should i just leave it like it is and be happy?

also since the change to windows 10 it takes alot longer for laptop to start up? is that normal?

ran speed test and results are:
    download speed 48.8
    upload speed 21.46

so it greatly helped but still not back to what it was. should i just leave it like it is and be happy?

Move the laptop to another location in the house, and you'll get different numbers - wifi is extremely sensitive to environmental considerations, so lower numbers aren't necessarily an indication of a problem.
    also since the change to windows 10 it takes alot longer for laptop to start up? is that normal?
    Restarts may be a bit slower, but startup (which is actually only a wake from sleep) should be faster.

i right clicked on wifi adaptor and the click on the driver. there was an option to upgrade so i upgraded it and restarted my laptop.
    Did you make note of the driver version before and after the upgrade?

Move the laptop to another location in the house, and you'll get different numbers - wifi is extremely sensitive to environmental considerations, so lower numbers aren't necessarily an indication of a problem.

Restarts may be a bit slower, but startup (which is actually only a wake from sleep) should be faster.

before windows 10 my laptop took less than minute to power up now its closer to 4 minutes
    Did you make note of the driver version before and after the upgrade?

no should i have?

before windows 10 my laptop took less than minute to power up now its closer to 4 minutes
    Why are you powering down your laptop? Just put it to sleep.

There's a setting for Fast startup in the Power Options control Panel (click on start, type Power. Once you have that Control Panel open, click on "Choose what the Power Buttons do".)

no should i have?
    It would be interesting to know whether you were using some generic WiFi Driver, and there's now a newer version available, or whether the slow driver was from the manufacturer and has now been updated, or if they just updated the default settings on the same driver.

Advertisement