Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980s AIB bank account, since dormant, will it still be open ?

• 09-08-2015 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hello,

In the 1980s, as a child, I opened a basic account with Allied Irish Bank (a blue book which was filled in by hand) in a village in Ireland.

The address of the account was owned by my grandparents. The grandparents have passed on, one uncle owns the house, but he rents it out. A small plot of land at the address was left to my father but was never developed. My father passed on and I guess that I have inherited the plot.

I have not been living in Ireland for many years. I hope to visit soon. I might even put a caravan on that plot for a while to live temporarily.

I don't have any bank statements or letters and don't know if any were ever sent. I share a name with another uncle, and maybe any post in that name was forwarded to him ?

I have found the bank book. It shows a balance of 5 Punts in 1984. I'm guessing if I live in Ireland for a while it would be advantageous to have an Irish Bank Account.

Do you think my AIB bank account, opened as a child, with a small sum in it, will still be open, or is it likely that it would have been closed as it had not been used ( despite the fact it was in credit ).

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The money goes to the government after so many years being dormant but You can claim it back any time.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/financial_institutions/dormant_bank_accounts_in_ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭acb121

Thank You Sam !

Given that it is well over the years limit, I guess the account is closed.

Could it be reactivated. Mind you, in the UK, AIB ruthlessly, aggressively and rudely got rid of all their personal customers, the Irish immigrants of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, who they relied on to build their UK business. Is it the same in Ireland ?

I know it is probably the topic for another thread, but if I was to come and live in Ireland for a while, what would I need to open an Irish Bank Account ?

I have a Passport, a Provisional Driving Licence, a Birth Certificate, but not much else.

Thanks !

PS. What is 5 Punts worth in modern day Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

€6.35 but with interest added over the years who know's you might get near €10. I would certainly pursue it. If a bank owed me 1 cent I would pursue it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

your account will be closed at this stage, it can't be reactivated, you will need to open a new account, you will need proof of address to open a new one along with the passport etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Delta2113 wrote: »
    €6.35 but with interest added over the years who know's you might get near €10. I would certainly pursue it. If a bank owed me 1 cent I would pursue it.

The bank doesn't owe it, the Government/dormant accounts owe it

• Advertisement
Advertisement