Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a hand. Made a mess of installing win 10 upgrade.

Options
  • 09-08-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I made a mess of upgrading win 10 to inlaws laptop.
    It had stalled so i restarted the laptop. It then said it was restoring previous windows. Now all its doing is booting to bios.
    Had a peep at boot order and the only option there is its hdd.
    Its a win 8 machine so there is no win key on the bottom of pc.

Is there a simple way to fix this ?

Im thinking of getting win 8 or 10 iso no a usb key and trying that but it might ask for win key.
    Any help woild be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I made a mess of upgrading win 10 to inlaws laptop.
    It had stalled so i restarted the laptop. It then said it was restoring previous windows. Now all its doing is booting to bios.
    Had a peep at boot order and the only option there is its hdd.
    Its a win 8 machine so there is no win key on the bottom of pc.

Is there a simple way to fix this ?

Im thinking of getting win 8 or 10 iso no a usb key and trying that but it might ask for win key.

Have you backed it up?

If so, try a factory reset. Often Alt and F10, but can be different depending on model.
    That may put it back to the condition it was when you purchased it, but as Windows 10 also removes that partition (Although I think it does it at the end), it may be damaged or corrupt.

Try that first anyway.

Something here may be of help. - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

Whats the laptop model? Ya check to see if there's a windows 8 recovery partion?

....as Allyall said! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Its an Asus sonic master s500c

Asus is Alt + F10 and sometimes F9 on it's own at boot, to factory reset.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING BACKED UP.

Although you should probably have done that beforehand.

Seems to go straight to bios. Even with pressing alt f9 or alt f10 once power button is pressed.

• Advertisement

Seems to go straight to bios. Even with pressing alt f9 or alt f10 once power button is pressed.

Try F9 on it's own after the Asus logo appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

This might work. Normally CTRL + Esc = Win Key. It works on Win 7 as far as I know.

Allyall wrote: »
    Try F9 on it's own after the Asus logo appears.

Its an odd one. It doesnt seem to get to asus loho
    Just straight to bios. Esc bios and its back to bios again within seconds..

Detailed How To here - http://www.asus.com/support/Search-Result-Detail/766DBE8F-A98B-4BC9-B0DF-DA1F55F4C361/?keyword=asus%20sonicmaster%20s500c

And if the F9 function may not work

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013343
    • The F9 recovery function will no longer work. You will not be able to revert back to the previous version of Windows by clicking "F9".
    • If the hidden recovery partition is still intact and is non-WIMBoot image, you will see [Restore factory settings] option in [Reset my PC]. By using URL="http://www.asus.com/support/faq/1013065/"]Restore factory settings[/URL, you can restore the system to factory default settings. In this case, you can use it to go back to Windows 8.1. For more information, please click here.
    • By using URL="http://www.asus.com/support/faq/1013060/"]Go Back[/URL, you can revert the system back to the previous version of Windows. Please be aware of the limitation and impact. For more information, please click here.
    • If you still have any issue, please consult with the service

- Sorry. I had posted above before I saw your reply.

In BIOS, disable secure boot feature and see if that makes a difference.

Is the hard drive detected in BIOS?

• Advertisement

Thanks allyall.

There is no secure boot option to disable. I turned off the fast boot option to see if that made any difference but we are back to bios screen with no asus logo at all.

The hdd is detecteted in the boot order.

Its an odd one alright.

Found the secure boot option and enabled csm boot.
    It will now boot to asus logo and then asks to insert boot media in selected boot drive and press a key.

Iso key on a usb key now to get it to boot fully?

Sorry, had to run out for a few minutes.

Yeah, if you download Windows 10 ISO and follow the indstructions there
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Is the recovery partition still intact?

Also, which version of Windows are you upgrading from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If your upgrade didn't complete and you install Windows 10 as a clean install it won't activate. You need to get windows 8 iso and reload that first, upgrade from there. If there's no windows key just skip that step. It's likely it will activate windows 8 automatically cos the key is often stored in hardware somewhere.

Advertisement