Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a residential mailing address while I'm abroad for 6 months?

Options
  • 09-08-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm headed abroad for work for 6 months, and am trying to find somewhere to have my post sent to while I'm away as I'm letting my flat go. I can't find a single service online for this! A post box doesn't suit as I can't out things like bills and cards and my driving licence to a post box. So I'm looking for a residential address mailing service that will hold or forward my post.

I'm considering just paying someone to do it for me, but trust and reliability are a big issue.

If anyone has any ideas or can help please let me know!

Many thanks

Daniel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Dan4321 wrote: »
    I'm headed abroad for work for 6 months, and am trying to find somewhere to have my post sent to while I'm away as I'm letting my flat go. I can't find a single service online for this! A post box doesn't suit as I can't out things like bills and cards and my driving licence to a post box. So I'm looking for a residential address mailing service that will hold or forward my post.

I'm considering just paying someone to do it for me, but trust and reliability are a big issue.

Many thanks

Daniel

Three months or six? Your thread title and first line of your post don't match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dan4321

Not sure how I managed that... It's 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm told that some solicitors do it, but their fees are pretty steep.

Your only other option is a reliable friend or family member, Afaik.

Realistically what bills will you have while away? No need to even change the address on your driving licence (unless yours is due to expire while you're away, if so either swap it for a local one where you're working or try to renew before you leave.) Most other things should let you switch to electronic billing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

An Post can redirect your mail to your foreign address for upto a year
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/Redirection/
    6 months is €140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Dan4321 wrote: »

Many thanks

Daniel

A friend uses this company for a Business address, he receives a scanned copy of any post on the day its received, and they also forward the post to another address

http://www.dublinmaildrop.com/
    http://www.dublinmaildrop.com/order/

but maybe you would find it too expensive for non business use, you can check it yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

When we are away, we direct our post to my mothers. But she gets v little as we cancel all our utilities, banks will send to a forgein address , just call them. It's really only our car insurance and motor tax and health insurance that we change, just in case there's a random letter of significance

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the trusted friend / family is the best idea.

Doing this for strangers to do this would be ripe for abuse and fraud.
    It's really only our car insurance and motor tax and health insurance that we change,
    Are the relevant parties happy with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Just redirect it with An Post. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the input. I didn't realise An Post would redirect abroad, though I'd have some real concerns over lost post it's going all the way to Chile! Redirecting to a business mail box in Ireland might work too thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I've no family or friends I'd trust to keep my post safe for 6 months or of course that would be the easiest way. A professional service would be much preferred, they just don't seem to exist here. In the UK they are pretty common.

I have had a generous offer by private message, so I'll weigh my options.

If anyone else knows of such a service do let me know.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There are also services you can redirect to that will scan your envelope, you review online, and they'll open and scan on request. Not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Victor wrote: »
    I think the trusted friend / family is the best idea.

Doing this for strangers to do this would be ripe for abuse and fraud.

Are the relevant parties happy with this?

Yes we informed them of our situation when we called them. Also it's where are cars actually are so completely legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

3DataModem wrote: »
    There are also services you can redirect to that will scan your envelope, you review online, and they'll open and scan on request. Not cheap.

Have you got links for any of these in Ireland, or even suggestions of good keywords to google to find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Have you got links for any of these in Ireland, or even suggestions of good keywords to google to find them?

should be loads more

https://irishpostbox.com/personal/

Receiving Mail

You receive an image of your sealed mail online. The mail is scanned unopened and you decide whether you want to have it opened so that you can view it online, or recycle it, shred it, forward it or archive it. The choice is yours.

Sending Mail

You can send a letter from Ireland to anywhere in the world. You upload your letter, we print it for you and post according to your instructions. You can choose regular, next day delivery or registered post. We use high quality 110gsm paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

any reason why not ?

The mail is scanned unopened and you decide whether you want to have it opened so that you can view it online, or recycle it, shred it, forward it or archive it. The choice is yours.

you can ask them to forward it if its sensitive

Some people wouldn't trust their relatives with anything sensitive. And when you look at some families, it's easy to see why!

gctest50 wrote: »
    should be loads more

Thanks very much for that, this is exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't find anything like it on google. If you know of any others please share!

Many thanks to all that have replied. Unfortunately I've no friends or family if trust with anything important, or at would be the obvious choice. Not all of us are blessed with such things.

Advertisement