Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you go to see your team play?

• 09-08-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for a few stats on how often people go to see their particular team play and on what sort of basis. Particularly interested to see how often people with season tickets for Barclays Premiership teams or Celtic would use them and if not, what they do with them. Also looking to see do many people do away fixtures (including Europe). I've only got two more away grounds to get to before it's a full house for me, wondering if others would be similar.

How often do you go to see your club play? 86 votes

Every home and away match (emergencies not withstanding)
    0% 0 votes
    Every home match and some aways
    11% 10 votes
    Most home matches
    20% 18 votes
    A few times per season
    5% 5 votes
    Once a season
    29% 25 votes
    Once every few years
    12% 11 votes
    I haven't been yet
    19% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Markets Field is the one that I've yet to make. Likely I'll be going there in Division 1 next year in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Brandywell and Showgrounds in the Premier for me.
    Then there's a few First Division such as Finn Park, Lissywoolen, Ferrycarrig (maybe next season) and Stradbrook Road, oh and the RSC and Cobh. Any thoughts on Wexford's seen as they could come up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Living in Cork supporting Bray is tough. Obviously go to the matches here, would try make it up for the odd home game too, helps that they're on a Saturday. Made it to Market Fields and Showgrounds this season too, so think Brandywell and Flan Siro are only grounds in Premier I haven't made it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not OPs target group but anyway, I get over to see Northampton about 2 or 3 times a season, depending on money and family, not as often as I'd like. Usually home games, Europe is a place to go on holiday, Cobblers won't be threatening the Champion's League any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Haven't lived in Bray or Ireland since 2011. Last Bray game I saw was the last time I was home, it was a game against Dundalk, can't remember if we won or lost. If there's a match on when I'm home, I'll try and go but it's not always possible. When I was in Ireland, I went to a few away games, mostly the ones in Dublin, because I was a broke student.

Have never been to a Chelsea game. Haven't been to an Atleti game since I lived in Madrid five years ago.

Wherever I'm living (I used to move around a lot), I take in a few games of the local team. Still check out the results of Zbrojovka Brno from my time there but haven't been back since I left.

I live in Cordoba and went to a few games in my first few years but only went to one last year when they were in the Primera because the ticket prices were absolutely insane. Season tickets went from €80 up to €500 (even with this, season-ticket holders had to pay an extra €40 for the matches against Real and Barca) and match day tickets went from a flat €13 to €40 against the likes of Almeria (the only game I went to) and €80 for the games against the big boys. Now they've been relegated, ticket prices are back to the normal levels again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Practically every match home and away (Galway United).

Not OPs target group.....

I don't seem to be either. :cool:

But in any case, I only go over to Tynecastle a couple of times a year, despite being a season ticket holder, and I rarely if ever travel to away games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Cork City fan.

In between the first two options. Probably closer to the first, so went with that. I'd go to all the home matches and most of the away matches. One or two grounds I try to avoid for reasons such as the standard that away fans are treated. For €15, the minimum that should be provided is a covered area and a view of the pitch. Not all clubs do that, so you can end up out in the pissing rain, which isn't at all fun when you've a 4/5 hour trip home after. I tend to give them a miss.

Apart from those, it can be a bit tough to do the long ones like Derry, Sligo etc. It'd be a bit handier if we had a couple of closer away matches, cause you'd be able to save money/holidays, but it's tough when most trips are about 3-4 hours and then a few long ones on top of it. It's good having one like Limerick around, so hopefully they can stay up this season. Another one or two like Cobh, Waterford or Wexford wouldn't be too bad, either.

I got to go to Iceland for the Europa League last month, which was pretty class. Had to give a few domestic away trips a skip to balance it out, though. It was a long feckin' trip and cost a bit, but it's okay as a novelty when it's Europe. My only other Euro trip was nine years ago, so it was nice to be able to see City play abroad again. Not sure how far the finances would stretch for a run in Europe like Rovers had in 2011, though!

As a City fan, one of things I envy about clubs in and around Dublin is ease of access to away games. They've a about 7 or 8 trips a season that'd be just as handy as home matches. Don't have to organise supporters' buses or anything, just get out of work at the usual time, hop on Dublin Bus/the Luas/the Dart and it's grand. You get a real derby feeling as well, consistently having good away crowds of 500+. It certainly helps for longer away matches as well, when you haven't spent as much or used up as much holiday time.

Would many fans of English/Scottish sides on here do away trips? Does it differ much as far as logistics of travel go? Is there a different buzz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

With the exception of family emergencies and stupid away games being rescheduled for Monday evenings and the like, I usually get to all other Athlone Town games, home and away.

My Da was a season ticket holder for Man Utd for years and used to go over to 70%-80% of their home games along with the odd home European midweek games. Gave up his ticket a few years ago and for the past 2 seasons he heads to most Athlone away games with me. Although he wont, or rarely, go to a home match ... too many @rseholes he reckons :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Every home game (ST holder) and some aways.

During the 2010 season I went to every league match, home and away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Omackeral wrote: »
    Would many fans of English/Scottish sides on here do away trips? Does it differ much as far as logistics of travel go? Is there a different buzz?

I love going to the away trips, more so than the home trips. There's a better atmosphere and you get to visit more grounds/cities.

I've been to Forest, Blackpool, Villa, West Brom, Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Wembley to see Watford play.

Off to Upton Park and St James to see them too this year. Hoping to maybe do Anfield too.

Last year, was the first year I hadn't made a Watford game in about 10 years I'd say. But wanna do more this year, and enjoy them being in the Prem!

In regards to Shels, i get to most home games when I can, but Friday nights aren't the most suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I get to about 90% of Youths matches, home and away. Also go to all home women's matches, and a good few U-19s. Used to go the odd away U-19 match too.

Have never been to Showgrounds or United Park, been to all the other LOI grounds.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Brandywell and Showgrounds in the Premier for me.
    Then there's a few First Division such as Finn Park, Lissywoolen, Ferrycarrig (maybe next season) and Stradbrook Road, oh and the RSC and Cobh. Any thoughts on Wexford's seen as they could come up?

Our ground is a bit of a mixed bag, not bad though. Good parking, handy location for visiting fans, nice clubhouse, good pitch. Crap stand, temporary stand that's well passed it's use by date, although it is covered. Windy spot. Very bad for public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Sorry but Ferrycarrig is one of the worst excuses for a football ground that I have ever seen. It doesn't even feel like you're at a ground, just a pitch in the middle of no where. The "stand" is even worse than Bray's and is dangerous. Give me United Park or Finn Park any day. At least they have character. Even Belfield is better as it is somewhat enclosed.

I get to about 90% of Youths matches, home and away. Also go to all home women's matches, and a good few U-19s. Used to go the odd away U-19 match too.

That's dedication! Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Sorry but Ferrycarrig is one of the worst excuses for a football ground that I have ever seen. It doesn't even feel like you're at a ground, just a pitch in the middle of no where. The "stand" is even worse than Bray's and is dangerous. Give me United Park or Finn Park any day. At least they have character. Even Belfield is better as it is somewhat enclosed.

Ferrycarrig Park was a farmer's field 10 years ago and what you see now was only ever expected to be the 1st stage in providing one of the best facilities in the country. Our financial difficulties are well documented but at least we provide an excellent surface and quality clubhouse & dressing rooms for players. Plans are well advanced to get the project rolling again to ensure the development of football in the South East

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Get to most home matches and maybe 30-50% of away matches. Our supporters club bus normally leaves around 2.30pm so I can be pushing it to get out of work in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not often enough, though that will change if interviews I've had go well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

used to get to about 30 Untied games a year, now its down to only about 15 as ive other commitments at weekends plus need to spend money on more grown up things now:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Season ticket holder with Bohemians so get to every home game and most away games. The likes of Derry away are difficult to get to due to lack of numbers for a bus and I don't drive so it's a bit awkward to get to.

Newcastle: I used to go quite frequently but I've started back in college and I don't really have the funds to be heading over. Last year starting September so I'll definitely try get back over next season... unless I win the lottery. Tickets are fairly easy to get anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That's fine, each to his own. I think it's grand considering our situation, and when you compare it to more appropriate clubs.
    Drogheda and Harps have been around for a lot longer than us, won a lot more than us, and that's the ground they ended up with. What about Mervue, Cabinteely, Salthill Devon. Those are the clubs that are more closely related to us, and I think we have done a lot better than all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Every home and away game, unless the match is scheduled to start early for TV coverage. Just can't get to Cork for a 7pm kick off after a day's work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Every home game (barring emergencies) and somewhere between 40-80% of away games due to family commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Manchester United - I've only been to a couple of games but hoping to get over at least 4 times this year depending on money & friends availability.

Dundalk - Season ticket holder so go to most home games. Used to go to away games in Dublin but haven't been to an away game since the first division days. Last one I was at was actually when they won promotion down in Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only missed 3 home Cork games in 3 seasons. In saying that rarely go to away games. Went to 2 last season and 1 this season.

Was not at single Hibs game last season for first time in 15 years and only got to few United games.

Back in college and doing my final year so can't see it changing much till finish that, although going to United Swansea at Liberty in few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Almost all home games (depends on early TV kickoff) and the B team last year, about 75% of away games. Louth is the place it seems I leave out, haven't been to Dundalk since the 1-1 draw in 2006 and Drogheda since the last century. Rarely miss Galway, furthest I've seen Rovers play is Rubin Kazan...which was no colder than a Summers day in Bray

Been to a couple of Pats home games when Rovers aren't playing as it is so nearby...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

CSF wrote: »
    Markets Field is the one that I've yet to make. Likely I'll be going there in Division 1 next year in any case.

Sorry to disappoint, but the great escape is well underway. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

There's been times where work has stood in the way of going to home games but aside from that, I'd go to 9/10 home games. Sometimes I'm dying from drink, look out the window and it's pissing and remember how shít we are and leave it off lol.

Of those who voted for 'haven't been yet'. Do you plan to go? Is it important to you to go or are you happy enough watching online or on tv? What excites you about heading along or what maybe keeps you away?

• Advertisement
Advertisement