Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for MS office and video editing

Options
  • 09-08-2015 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

hi,

Looking for a spec for doing some MS office stuff nothing heavy(I know my phone would nearly do:)) But mainly I want to edit my home videos. I have a gopro so they will be 1080p60 so the files will be large. Also processing some canon raw pics.

I want a solid state hd as I hate waiting for pcs to boot up so the faster the better. Also I want the case to be small as it will be in the corner of the living room and I don't want a massive thing. I should be getting FTTH in the next few months (pulling the fibre outside my door last week whoop whoop..) so I don't need a massive hd might start using cloud storage also I have a couple of usb3.0 externals so I will use them.

What is your budget? Around 500 but go bit higher if ye think I need to

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [/Video editing/Internet MS office

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. /20

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? n/a

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] yes all,wireless mouse keyboard as well less wires the better.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] yes all of the abive

9. When are you purchasing? In tje next month

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Cork City

If you have a sample build yourself, use Fluffy's script to format it nicely.

Thanks in advance

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Your going to need to up the budget about 70, maybe slightly more if you need a monitor and peripherals.

I would say if you're editing a fair amount
    i5 4440/4460 140 gbp
    8gb ram 30 gbp
    1tb drive 35-40 gbp
    cheap wireless keyboard 10 gbp
    cheap speakers 10 gbp
    21" 1080p monitor 75 gbp
    evga or corsair cx psu 35 gbp
    cheap zalman case 25 gbp
    1150 mobo 35 gbp
    windows 7 (free upgrade to 10) 15 gbp from reddit

Which is 80 over budget in euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

multimate wrote: »
    Your going to need to up the budget about 70, maybe slightly more if you need a monitor and peripherals.

I would say if you're editing a fair amount
    i5 4440/4460 140 gbp
    8gb ram 30 gbp
    1tb drive 35-40 gbp
    cheap wireless keyboard 10 gbp
    cheap speakers 10 gbp
    21" 1080p monitor 75 gbp
    evga or corsair cx psu 35 gbp
    cheap zalman case 25 gbp
    1150 mobo 35 gbp
    windows 7 (free upgrade to 10) 15 gbp from reddit

Which is 80 over budget in euro

Cool thanks, would that spec do the job good. Instead of the 1tb drive I think I would like a SSD any recommendation.

Also now with hardwareandserve gone where is the best place to source these.

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Cool thanks, would that spec do the job good. Instead of the 1tb drive I think I would like a SSD any recommendation.

Also now with hardwareandserve gone where is the best place to source these.
    The i5 should do editing well and 8gb ram is pretty much a requirement. You would obviously benefit from an overclocker i5 or i7, but they cost a fair bit more. If you're only editing videos very very rarely an i3 could be an option but otherwise get the i5.

Those parts are just from uk amazon since it was just a quick job.

From another post: One of the EU Amazon's, caseking, mind factory or alternate de. Mindfactory.de is normally good value but charge shipping twice if you buy a case from them.

If you go with a German retailer, use geizhals.de to knock a few euro off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I reckon an i3 will do you

i3 4160 €115
    1tb HDD €50
    4gb RAM €30
    250w PSU €25
    Zalman A1 €20
    120gb SSD €60
    H81M board €50
    Windows is €20
    €100 for a monitor, maybe a second hand one. Or a TV to cut out speakers.
    €30 for a KBM set
    Total €500

You could switch to an AMD build and get an FX4300 or 6300 for €70 or €90 respectively, and a similarly priced motherboard. Everything else is universal

I reckon an i3 will do you

i3 4160 €115
    1tb HDD €50
    4gb RAM €30
    250w PSU €25
    Zalman A1 €20
    120gb SSD €60
    H81M board €50
    Windows is €20
    €100 for a monitor, maybe a second hand one. Or a TV to cut out speakers.
    €30 for a KBM set
    Total €500

You could switch to an AMD build and get an FX4300 or 6300 for €70 or €90 respectively, and a similarly priced motherboard. Everything else is universal

Great stuff, if I push the budget out a bit and get 8gb ram and go to an i5. Would that make a sufficient boost in performance to make it worth while.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I'm not sure the RAM will have a massive effect for you, it'd be no harm I suppose.

The i5 would be a good increase though.

I'm not sure the RAM will have a massive effect for you, it'd be no harm I suppose.

The i5 would be a good increase though.
    Like he said, Definitely go with the i5 over 8gb ram if it's one or the other. The ram can be improved really easily in the future compared to cpu.

Also the reason I had a hdd in the original build was to store your large videos. While an ssd does offer a performance increase for startup/shutdown and accessing stuff on the ssd, the price/gb is higher so I wouldn't be storing the videos on them. I presume now you already have a hdd for them?

Here's a quick copy and paste about ram

Video editing is a "more" application. The more you throw at it the better it goes. More RAM. More cores. More space. More screen size. More gpu ram. It will use it all. Yes, there is a point of diminishing returns but it's damn high. Yeah, you can use 8 but 16 is much better and 32 even better still. What happens is that you get more done. It's faster, not just rendering, but also in the way the app you're using to edit with functions. It will be smoother, a lot less hassles swapping out to disk, and a good possibility that it will be more stable. If you're just doing personal youtube videos it's not that huge a deal but if working to a deadline, the better your tools, the better the results.

Great stuff thanks guys, I think maybe for the extra few bucks I think I might upgrade to the i5 and as ye say I can always and the extras memory later very easily.

Also I think I might build it myself gulp... Never done it before but I think I would be able to do, it could be a bit of fun.

Thanks again for the help

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Great stuff thanks guys, I think maybe for the extra few bucks I think I might upgrade to the i5 and as ye say I can always and the extras memory later very easily.

Also I think I might build it myself gulp... Never done it before but I think I would be able to do, it could be a bit of fun.

Thanks again for the help

Building is easy, there's only one part for each cable, there aren't even many cables, and you've tonnes of tutorials and stuff online to help you along. Settling on the parts is the hardest bit.

• Advertisement

Building is easy, there's only one part for each cable, there aren't even many cables, and you've tonnes of tutorials and stuff online to help you along. Settling on the parts is the hardest bit.

This. Best bet would be to look out build videos online. For beginners I'd say look up Carey Holzman. Builds are very long but very very detailed. Otherwise just go with one with high views, generally means they're good.

Advertisement