Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Galway need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Stevolende wrote: »
    Had always hoped they'd open a branch of Lush would hope there was the market for that kind of thing here. Though Flame crashed earlier this year.

Agree, need to pick up a handful of bath bombs etc. to top off a present, gona have to pop to lush when I'm in Dublin next. I would have thought the body shop would be all over that sort of thing but no. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

smurf492 wrote: »
    Galway needs an arthouse cinema...

The eye cinema has a dedicated arthouse screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

elfy4eva wrote: »
    The eye cinema has a dedicated arthouse screen.

I had been thinking of the big unused building in the Spanish Arch..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

smurf492 wrote: »
    Clybaun has seen an improvement since change of ownership in my opinion...

It certainly has. Went there shortly after they had done it up, because Sheridan's was so jampacked you could hardly open the door and have been back since. Quite an improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This thread may be dead but I've always wondered why Galway has so few pubs/restaurants on the outskirts of town? Everything is condensed into the city centre.

Tom Sheridans in Knocknacarra, The Huntsman and The Trappers Inn are the kinds of places Im talking about, but they're the only three I can think of.

Eh? If you include the so called villages on the edge of the city:

Oranmore has a good few.

The Racing Lodge / Amber Lodge - failed.
    (Though Eastwoods opened up again after that and is still AFAIK).

Kingsvalley - failed

The Merlin - was still going strong last time I looked. (though I heard a rumour about a switchboard fire and haven't checked since).

The Lantern - failed

McHughs (technically outside the city, but not by much)

Claregalway - also has a few

Menlo Park

.. don't know what's further up the Headford Rd from that

Westwood

College Bar.

River Inn (whatever it's called now)

Westside Tavern

Hanley Oaks (is it still open???)

Clybaun

Kelehans - failed. (Though I heard a rumour someone was re-opening it?)

Moycullen - has a few places, though I can only name the Forge

Barna - - has a few places, though I can only name the Forge

Spinnaker - closed due to a fire

Salthill - lots and lots and lots ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Tom Sheridans was also mentioned.

They bought the land and empty house just off the roundabout opposite the Clybaun with the view to opening a second pub.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

youngrun wrote: »
    A big city park like the Phoenix park. What could be done with South park I wonder and further land reclamation there and harbour area. Or further out eg Moycullen road/drum area.

My idea is Menlo Park. Make a huge national park, including Menlo castle as a historically protected site (because I'd want to stop some rich asshole turning it into their apartment), stretching all the way along the river. That's what I would do if I had infinite money, build amenities like tea rooms, walled garden, museum with observation tower to have a nice view of the corrib, have a proper park. It's an absolutely beautiful stretch along the river, perfect for a park.

menlo-castle.jpg

menlough-gate-in-ireland.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Links234 wrote: »
    My idea is Menlo Park. Make a huge national park, including Menlo castle as a historically protected site (because I'd want to stop some rich asshole turning it into their apartment), stretching all the way along the river. That's what I would do if I had infinite money, build amenities like tea rooms, walled garden, museum with observation tower to have a nice view of the corrib, have a proper park. It's an absolutely beautiful stretch along the river, perfect for a park.

menlo-castle.jpg

menlough-gate-in-ireland.jpg

Certainly has merit, proposal at the minute for this area is to put the new city expressway/motorway through Menlo Castle lands so I think those rich assholes you mention will be staying away from here if it goes ahead.
    The Castle features on the front page of the Project Website: http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Certainly has merit, proposal at the minute for this area is to put the new city expressway/motorway through Menlo Castle lands so I think those rich assholes you mention will be staying away from here if it goes ahead.
    The Castle features on the front page of the Project Website: http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/

Send the motorway /bypass further out - or tunnel under river
    and do this park and keep Dangan as is ..

Best solution to both issues ?

Send the motorway /bypass further out - or tunnel under river
    and do this park and keep Dangan as is ..

Best solution to both issues ?

Galway City and County Council and ARUP disagree with you.
    See drawings uploaded by them on the 20/11/2015
    http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-3/chosen-design-option-ballymoneen-road-to-n59-20112015/

or direct map:
    http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/GCOB-SK-D-149_Proposed-Development-Geometry-only-Plan-West_RevI1_small-size.pdf

New Expressway Motorway crossing is to be only 100/200 meters from Menlough Castle. In the PDF look at the very right hand side. Menlough Castle is marked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

A huge part of the problem is that Galway is in a dire state when it comes to traffic congestion, and a bypass is most certainly needed, but there could be so much more done for city center traffic as well. The bottleneck near the Town Hall, Cathedral and Headford road is in a ridiculous state. One thing I read a while back was that there were plans floating about for a second bridge to be built parralel to the Salmon Wier bridge, and that would be a fantastic idea, but what I'd do as well is implement a one-way system around the Cathedral. Now, this is a really, really rough idea, but something like this:

7Q75Z0G.jpg

Then, as well as the bypass, a bridge/tunnel much closer to the city linking Upper Newcastle with the very top of the Dyke Road, like this:

1y3Q4hVl.jpg

Then, upgrade the Dyke Road. The bypass would need to be further out, but there really does need to be additional bridging between East and West of the city, not just a bypass, or things will just keep getting worse and worse. Galway needs better infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Eh? If you include the so called villages on the edge of the city:

Oranmore has a good few.

The Racing Lodge / Amber Lodge - failed.
    (Though Eastwoods opened up again after that and is still AFAIK).

Kingsvalley - failed

The Merlin - was still going strong last time I looked. (though I heard a rumour about a switchboard fire and haven't checked since).

The Lantern - failed

McHughs (technically outside the city, but not by much)

Claregalway - also has a few

Menlo Park

.. don't know what's further up the Headford Rd from that

Westwood

College Bar.

River Inn (whatever it's called now)

Westside Tavern

Hanley Oaks (is it still open???)

Clybaun

Kelehans - failed. (Though I heard a rumour someone was re-opening it?)

Moycullen - has a few places, though I can only name the Forge

Barna - - has a few places, though I can only name the Forge

Spinnaker - closed due to a fire

Salthill - lots and lots and lots ...

I dont think we're on the wavelength but thanks all the same.

I guess the use case I have is hungover on a Sunday and I want to go somewhere I can park the car hassle free, get some food and maybe watch a match on the TV. Salthill, Oranmore, Barna....I've been to all the spots but they dont cry out to me in my hour of wailing need.

For some reason I've never used hotels for this purpose but would give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you need a pub/restaurant/hotel close by let us know where you are and we'll direct you to somewhere.

Links234 wrote: »
    Then, as well as the bypass, a bridge/tunnel much closer to the city linking Upper Newcastle with the very top of the Dyke Road, like this:

1y3Q4hVl.jpg

Then, upgrade the Dyke Road. The bypass would need to be further out, but there really does need to be additional bridging between East and West of the city, not just a bypass, or things will just keep getting worse and worse. Galway needs better infrastructure.

This aerial photo is OLD. Would need to knock a new NUIG Biomedical buildings for this proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

This aerial photo is OLD. Would need to knock a new NUIG Biomedical buildings for this proposal.

No you wouldn't
    You could have it go through the carpark used by UHG employees which is to one side of NUIG building and it would come out where the Westwood traffic lights are, just put in a roundabout
    Simples

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 noelogara

A big city park like the Phoenix park. What could be done with South park I wonder and further land reclamation there and harbour area. Or further out eg Moycullen road/drum area.

good thinking but no need to go so far youngrun theres a lovely 100 acre site on Galway's doorstep and its both an eyesore and an obstacle to the centre for a few hundred years.
    its called lough Atalia and you can read the thread I started about it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057527017

All the wonderful things that the contributors here wished for could be accommodated on that free site except a Phoenix park. I'm afraid Galway would have to settle for a St Stephens Green.
    you could even relocate the train station there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

noelogara wrote: »
    good thinking but no need to go so far youngrun theres a lovely 100 acre site on Galway's doorstep and its both an eyesore and an obstacle to the centre for a few hundred years.
    its called lough Atalia and you can read the thread I started about it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057527017

All the wonderful things that the contributors here wished for could be accommodated on that free site except a Phoenix park. I'm afraid Galway would have to settle for a St Stephens Green.
    you could even relocate the train station there.
    oh FFS it's trying to get away from that thread some of us are

D Trent wrote: »
    oh FFS it's trying to get away from that thread some of us are
    speak for yourself Trent. this is an open forum and you didnt have much to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Probably mentioned already - a Wetherspoon's pub.

Train lines to Tuam +Sligo, and Headford for mainline and commuter services

• Advertisement

noelogara, please keep your interest in Atalia confined to the existing thread.

When is the next City development plan due ? Perhaps these submissions should be included from boards!

When is the next City development plan due ? Perhaps these submissions should be included from boards!

this is where the Irish free state went wrong. Planning was monopolised by a bureaucracy of politicians, councillors who are local politicians and planners who put a kind of respectable gloss on the whole scam.
    With the planning laws, from 1964 all Irish landowners suddenly became tenant farmers, rather than owners of the land and the state became the landlord as far as any land use was intended by the citizens of the state.

Nobody realised what was happening at the time because very few had money for development and there was mass emigration in the land.
    Then slowly it dawned on people that they had to get permission for a hen house and gradually engineers and architects began to make more money from planning applications and feeding off the planning laws. Likewise solicitors had more disputes and court cases over planning issues so they were all making money from the laws.
    All the while the young enterprising person with a great idea could do nothing without permission and growing costs.
    Land values became distorted because it all depended on how many storeys you could get planning for or how many houses you could cram into a half acre.
    That RTE story only lifted the veil on a massive charter for rogues that all developers played since the planning laws were foisted on the Irish land owners and ownership became a meaningless concept.
    Farmers dont own their land because they are only allowed farm it.

noelogara, do you really think that anyone should be allowed to do anything with land that they own, with no regard for the neighbours or the environment?

I'm not sure that's what Galway needs at all: even with planning laws, we still got Bailey Point and the like. Imagine what Salthill would be like if there were no controls at all!

noelogara, do you really think that anyone should be allowed to do anything with land that they own, with no regard for the neighbours or the environment?

I'm not sure that's what Galway needs at all: even with planning laws, we still got Bailey Point and the like. Imagine what Salthill would be like if there were no controls at all!

well compare Galway, a city you should know well, with Galway before 1964.
    Eyre square and the lovely buildings around it were developed by land owners who would all try to build something suitable to their needs and attractive to their potential customers.
    Shop street was developed and enhanced over a few hundred years by owners who improved their holdings.
    Nobody wanted to develop a white elephant but today Ireland is the home of a herd of white elephants forced on developers by planners and councillors.

We need a Maoz vegetarian restaurant.

Also we need this over Shop street

galleria-vittorio-emanuele-ii-milan-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

biko wrote: »
    We need a Maoz vegetarian restaurant.

Also we need this over Shop street

Over the entire city!

noelogara wrote: »
    well compare Galway, a city you should know well, with Galway before 1964.
    Eyre square and the lovely buildings around it were developed by land owners who would all try to build something suitable to their needs and attractive to their potential customers.
    Shop street was developed and enhanced over a few hundred years by owners who improved their holdings.
    Nobody wanted to develop a white elephant but today Ireland is the home of a herd of white elephants forced on developers by planners and councillors.

You mean like Quay St, Middle St and Augustine Sts: previous run-down and downright dangerous after dark, but today the home of various attractive restaurants and shops, supported by mixed commercial and residential use on the higher floors as a result of planners insistence that this was necessary as part of re-generating the areas.

less private motor cars, especially in the City Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

We need more taco and burrito shops...

Advertisement