Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Galway need?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 noelogara

Then we can go for a swim unless the swimming pool gets flooded again.
    sounds like the lough Atalia tides.
    the problem all you dreamers have is you all want to be planners thanks to the planning acts which took the planning out of the hands of the businessman who was willing tp put his money at risk to achieve his plans which were based on the needs and demands that he catered for in order to develop his business and the city in the process.
    What Galway businessman would risk his money on a plan when he knows that just a few objectors can scupper his best laid plans and cost him dearly? you only have to look at the zoning map laid out by the strokers to see some lands frozen and flood plains zoned for housing etc etc.
    Is it any wonder Galway is in gridlock. Many people I know who would like to visit Galway more often are reluctant to go there because of the traffic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

For me it'd be "luxury" apartment complexes. These are examples of 2 buildings in Dublin that I'd be familiar with:
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/sandyford/vantage-by-kennedy-wilson-central-park-leopardst-sandyford-dublin-1611856/
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/sandyford/cubes-3-apt-614-beacon-south-quarter-sandyford-dublin-1584798/

You'd find nothing like this in Galway. To my knowledge (and I'm open to correction here) you'd find nothing even close to these in terms of high end apartments. Always been something that I felt was a missed opportunity in Galway.

One transport thing.

If they get the harbour they're looking for, I think we need a coastal road to get to it. Bring it coast side of the Barracks, around to a new rail overpass in Renmore (with a station there for commuter trains possibly?), back to coast side of the rail line (all green fields) until you get to behind Galway Crystal, cross there through hospital lands to the motorway roundabout. Very doable.

Oh, and instead of putting the park & ride on the road, put a passing loop in Oranmore & make that the park & ride to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

For me it'd be "luxury" apartment complexes. These are examples of 2 buildings in Dublin that I'd be familiar with:
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/sandyford/vantage-by-kennedy-wilson-central-park-leopardst-sandyford-dublin-1611856/
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/sandyford/cubes-3-apt-614-beacon-south-quarter-sandyford-dublin-1584798/

You'd find nothing like this in Galway. To my knowledge (and I'm open to correction here) you'd find nothing even close to these in terms of high end apartments.

There's no demand for anything like that in Galway. Who do you think is going to rent them at that price ? Students ? ! Also people want houses, not apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

One transport thing.

If they get the harbour they're looking for, I think we need a coastal road to get to it. Bring it coast side of the Barracks, around to a new rail overpass in Renmore (with a station there for commuter trains possibly?), back to coast side of the rail line (all green fields) until you get to behind Galway Crystal, cross there through hospital lands to the motorway roundabout. Very doable.

Already suggested here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94591635&postcount=562

But I think you are actually serious :eek:

Whatever about the coastline, residents have made it abundantly clearly that they don't want a road thru one of the few remaining patches of woodland around.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the coastline, residents have made it abundantly clearly that they don't want a road thru one of the few remaining patches of woodland around.

Tough.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Besides, it can be done in a way that preserves the woodland tastefully.

Edit: looking at the topography, there's actually no reason the new road couldn't stay clear of Merlin Park altogether, start with a simple dual carriageway upgrade to the Old Dublin Road from the Galway Clinic roundabout, that then forks into existing route to the right (approaching city) and a new coastal road that passes behind the old Galway Crystal plant & proceeds to the new port as described. Keeps the trucks out of Galway City, provides a new avenue in to take the load from The Old Dublin road, and access to the various Renmore housing estates as well (cuts bus times down for them. Circular route that uses bus lanes). Win all round once it's done right.

Long Gone wrote: »
    There's no demand for anything like that in Galway. Who do you think is going to rent them at that price ? Students ? ! Also people want houses, not apartments.

How do you know there would be no demand for these types of apartments? I dont have any figures to say one way or the other but I know if they were available I'd be straight into one of them. And I know a number of colleagues who have also expressed a desire to be able to rent high end apartments, rather than the small and basic places.

Of course students wouldnt rent them. Professionals with a good salary would be the target market. And also the prices in Galway wouldnt be the very same as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Is there a big enough professional base in Galway to warrant a couple of them?

What Galway really needs is better and more frequent public transport that's actually affordable, more Galway bikes stands in places that aren't Eyre Square and surrounds, and housing, particularly out by Parkmore and the like where people actually work.

You'd find nothing like this in Galway. To my knowledge (and I'm open to correction here) you'd find nothing even close to these in terms of high end apartments. Always been something that I felt was a missed opportunity in Galway.
    http://www.daft.ie/galway/apartments-for-rent/galway-city-centre/semple-mill-parkavara-galway-city-centre-galway-1606322/
    http://www.daft.ie/galway/apartments-for-rent/ballagh/pairc-na-gcapall-bushypark-galway-ballagh-galway-1608495/
    There are some penthouse type apartments available in Galway - not many though as the demand would be limited I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Agree. The Irish love a good sized urban sprawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mearings wrote: »
    Agree. The Irish love a good sized urban sprawl.

However multinational executives on transfer, academics on sabbatical etc have got better things to be doing with their time than mowing lawns.

I believe that the apartments above TKMaxx are pretty high spec, but are used for short term tourist lets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

However multinational executives on transfer, academics on sabbatical etc have got better things to be doing with their time than mowing lawns.

I believe that the apartments above TKMaxx are pretty high spec, but are used for short term tourist lets.

Wasn't baily point in Salthill supposed to be high end apartments? Not sure how much of it was completed though.

How do you know there would be no demand for these types of apartments?

Oh, do you know that there is ? :eek:
    I dont have any figures to say one way or the other .

Thought so......:rolleyes:

So do I - I get a gardener in to do that for me.....:cool:

Oh, do you know that there is ? :eek:

Thought so......:rolleyes:

I never said there was. I merely pointed out that I know of colleagues along with myself that would be interested in high end apartments. You were the one who straight out said there was no demand for these and I asked how you know this?

If you dont know that's fine. Just continue to use the 'rolleyes' smilies and over the top examples (like suggesting I considered students as possible tenants) to avoid a proper discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

A waterbus service from Oughterard to Moycullen to Wood Quay and back.

A waterbus service from Oranmore to Galway Docks to Salthill to Barna and back.

To hell with the hassle of new roads :)

riverride-floating-bus1-300x200.jpg

334efe063d9953bc85b37c0946107c7d.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I see Noel has discovered facebook AND is still banging on about Lough Atalia. discovered facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Zzippy wrote: »
    I see Noel has discovered facebook AND is still banging on about Lough Atalia. discovered facebook
    Saw It when friend posted It.
    Like all noel does its ridiculous....
    Always remembered being in Dartmouth square on a few occasions around time he was trying to run a tile shop out of the park....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I actually laughed out loud at this:
    With the lorries we have today and quarries just a mile away the lake could be filled in a few months for very small money and topped with gravel. A gift from God to Galway.

Advertisement