Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need new perspective

Options
  • 09-08-2015 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    I need your help.
    I have been working for the same company for nearly 10 years. The job itself is ok but the new policies and the stress which comes with that is just too much. At the moment I am on sick leave for burn out and depression. So I am thinking of a change. I still have my job and therefore I can not use any of the services out there for unemployed people. And I just don't know where to start finding a new career.
    My current job is in an office sorting out complaints from customers.
    I don't like to be on the phone but I am good with people, a good listener and I love to help people. Years ago I thought about becoming a social worker but then I decided to go with office work. I am now thinking that working with people would be good for me and it does suit me.
    Would you have any idea where I would go to find help (Fingal / Dublin area)? I would need information on the options I have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Sorting out complaints from clients /family members and dealing with people on the phone is a huge part of being a social worker! You've a hugely romanticised idea of being a social worker. Did you know that the burn out rates are huge and stress is rife in it?

From what you've said it would be the worst career possible for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Dryjump, would something like Citizens Information or MABS be something your interested in? I know they are phone heavy but your still providing assistance to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Sorting out complaints from clients /family members and dealing with people on the phone is a huge part of being a social worker! You've a hugely romanticised idea of being a social worker. Did you know that the burn out rates are huge and stress is rife in it?

From what you've said it would be the worst career possible for you.

Meh, history of depression here and went from Retail to the legal field. Sometimes the stress/depression can be because you're in a bullsh!t job and you know it.

That said: completely agree with you on all jobs have their monotony and routine and romanticising it is dangerous. My mother-in-law is a retired social worker, some of the stories make you wonder how the woman is still sane let alone one of the nicest people you could meet.

When you're dealing with a kid no one wants because they're so damaged by the years of physical, sexual and mental abuse and you haven't the resources to get them the help they need, will you be so enthusiastic for the role? Genuine question, I know I couldn't be. The frustration gets to me everytime I see a thread in after hours suggesting that the cure to all our social ills is locking people up for years.

I digress... best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

DryJump wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need your help.
    I have been working for the same company for nearly 10 years. The job itself is ok but the new policies and the stress which comes with that is just too much. At the moment I am on sick leave for burn out and depression. So I am thinking of a change. I still have my job and therefore I can not use any of the services out there for unemployed people. And I just don't know where to start finding a new career.
    My current job is in an office sorting out complaints from customers.
    I don't like to be on the phone but I am good with people, a good listener and I love to help people. Years ago I thought about becoming a social worker but then I decided to go with office work. I am now thinking that working with people would be good for me and it does suit me.
    Would you have any idea where I would go to find help (Fingal / Dublin area)? I would need information on the options I have.

I don't know how you'd feel about something like a fork lift driver, there seems to be high demand for people with these type of skills. The courses only take about a week, so you might be able to fund it your self.

If you have a degree maybe you could look at something like a pre reg, post grad in something like Occupational Therapy or a a related course in this area. If you look these up in the England or Wales, you'll find some are fully funded and also have a bursary on offer.

You could also look at some of the ICT conversion courses, some are offered on a part time basis and you don't need to be unemployed to gain a place on these courses.

Advertisement