Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infestation of earwigs!

Options
  • 09-08-2015 3:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Not the right forum for this thread but I couldn't find anywhere more suitable, and I guess the gardeners might know best.

I seem to have an infestation inside my house of earwigs. I'm finding them everywhere, in the bed, in the kitchen in my shoes ect.

I know they don't actually nest in your ears but I am still terrified of these bugs. I'd usually throw any unwanted guests out the back but I'm half afraid to even stamp on these things. Anyone know why they are in my house? How do I get rid of them. My partner is actually considering moving house because of it. I've never seen so many of them indoors besides the odd few that would come in with the washing or whatever.

Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Earwigs like damp, it sounds like you might have a leak in the house or a leaky pipe or rising damp. Get a hygrometer on ebay or your nearest gardening shop. If any room is >80% humidity, you have a leak most likely somewhere that will cause problems. Earwigs might be a symptom of a bigger damp problem.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Funny you say that, we are having trouble with damp. Finding mould in both bedrooms since we moved in here in November. Also, we are all killed with sniffles and coughs since we moved in..

I haven't found any nest of earwigs as such, just see them running around the place.. you think I cant get rid of earwigs short term? The damp is a structural issue so not easily fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Sounds like a very unhealthy house to live in. I'd say moving is the best solution.... 🚚

Cumin wrote:
    Sounds like a very unhealthy house to live in. I'd say moving is the best solution.... 🚚

Oh I wish we could. It's not that easy unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

Get an empty dog or cat food can with the remains of some food still in it. Pour some cooking oil/rape seed oil in (about .5 of an inch) and leave it out the back garden. Come back to it after a few days (worked a treat when I had the same problem).

• Advertisement

gerarda wrote:
    Get an empty dog or cat food can with the remains of some food still in it. Pour some cooking oil/rape seed oil in (about .5 of an inch) and leave it out the back garden. Come back to it after a few days (worked a treat when I had the same problem).

Thanks for that. You think this will get them out of the house? I will try it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Oh I wish we could. It's not that easy unfortunately.

Are you renting or did you buy it? If you're renting you'd probably have some recourse because that house certainly sounds like it will damage your health.

In the meantime see if you can get a dehumidifier, it'll help a bit at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Wow, thats absolutely disgusting ! Haven't any advice to give, but best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Thanks for that. You think this will get them out of the house? I will try it this evening.

It worked for myself anyway, you can always place one near where you think the source of the problem is (if that's inside the house you might attract a few flies plus beware of kids!)and maybe a few in the garden. After a week i had a can full of drowned earwigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Even though I think that killing bugs never tackles the problem by the root... I found an interesting video for you. Watch: "How to get rid of earwigs" by Mike Stanek on youtube.

• Advertisement
Advertisement